April 27, 2024, 04:20:07 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Stator Question

Started by 85flt, December 28, 2008, 10:46:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

85flt

Following good advise from this board, I was able to remove almost all the pieces and parts to get to the stator on my 85flt.  Problem now seems to be the shaft extension that the compensator sprocket rides on. I have been unable to get it off and am looking for advise, tips, tricks that you might have before I do something I will regret.  Thanks for any help.

85flt

Well. I put two screwdrivers between the rotor and the shaft extension and worked it back and forth until the thing came off.  I was able to remove stator at this point.  If there is a better way (surely there is) to remove that part, please post and let me know. Thanks to all that post here, I have used a ton of the information discussed here, and I appreciate it.

kiwidave

sometimes it feels like it is really stuck in a magnetic field   :wink: and it does take a bit of effort to get off....I don't think there is a perfect method. I have always managed with just fingers, but what you tried worked for you, so just go with that!

85flt

Shaft extension won't slide on or off easily even with rotor (and it's magnets) removed from the equation. It was harder to get off than the compensator nut.  Harley Parts book shows it as oem 40266-85 which J&P catalog lists for 1986-2006 models.  J&P shows oem 40375-70 for 1970-85 models.  Wonder if there is any difference between the two, and if I have the wrong one which might account for the tight fit?  Any thoughts before I hammer it (very lightly) back on?

Riverside Joe

I have a factory parts catalog for my 86 FXWG, your FL may be different but the 40375-70 shaft extension lists for "84-FXST; 85 to * - all models" in my catalog for my FX. My parts catalog is for 1984 FXST; 1985 to 1986 FX Models. Your 85 FL engine may not be the same internally as the FX but my extension slips off and on easy. I got about 115K on the motor so it may be alittle "loose". I'd scratch my head really hard before I'd take a hammer to my FX. She's been really good and I talk to her really sweet when she don't want to work with me. JohnS I think has a 87 FL and may have a parts catalog to check the numbers. Hope this helps--------RJ
RFFR