April 27, 2024, 12:26:45 PM

News:

Cylinder studs / newer type

Started by tinkerman, December 28, 2008, 02:54:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tinkerman

Can someone confirm that there is a newer style cylinder stud for my 88 Evo. The ones I took out several days ago as part of my top end build have the flanged end or stop up towards the heads but I believe the new type seats to the cases.

Next question - it's not the same stud is it....?  Just turned upside down  :dgust:

Any info would be appreciated as I would like to have available whatever inproved components possible.

Tink
Living on a rock out in the North Atlantic, HTT member since 8/1/2003

jsachs1

Don't try putting the early studs in with the flanged edge down!!  :down:
Get the late studs part # 16837-85C,a little over $6.00 retail ea.
John

harleytoprock

jsacks1,
I'm putting  SE heads on a 87 evo that has no flange, top or bottom on the studs. With the later style head bolts, can I just use the original studs or do i have to replace with something else. The studs stand 5 3/4" above the base.
Thanks for your help.

Sorry to Hijack.

FSG

Tink,

Check  HarleyTechTalk > Documents & FAQ's > Instruction Sheets that have been found > HD > Service Bulletins

M-1043, New Cylinder Base Gaskets and Cylinder Studs

jsachs1

Harley,
If your studs are already out,I would use the new ones(part # above).
Your original ones will work fine,if they're still in,and at the right installed height.
John

tinkerman

Thanks Jsachs1,

I will pick them up. And am I correct in assuming that they go installed flange against the cases?

Tink

FSG

...... am I correct in assuming that they go installed flange against the cases?

assume nothing, read the instructions.

The new studs must be installed with the shouldered end down.  Thread shouldered end into crankcase and tighten to 10 ft-lbs (13.6 Nm) torque. This torque should “bottom” the stud shoulder on the crankcase.

tinkerman

Right on Fatboy,

I hear you. I must of skimmed over your post last night and missed the gist of it. Will certainly read the instructions and thanks for your input.

Tink

kiwidave

when I replaced the OEM early type studs on my 1985 FXEF (female thread at the top) for the late style ones (male thread at top of studs), i did have to have a few milllimetres drilled out of the holes in the head so they would accept the female-style head bolts.

Just an early warning. No big deal....

dave_9113

December 29, 2008, 12:23:45 PM #9 Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 06:49:55 PM by dave_9113
There were three upgrades since '87 on the cylinder studs, so use the latest ('94 + later) studs.  The flange does go toward the case base.  They also come with a coat of red loctite on the end that goes into the case.

Best way to put them on is to use a impact wrench, so you don't tweak them.   This is what I did.  Buy an acorn nut and a ball bearing (.313 in steel ball).  Put ball bearing in acorn, then screw it on top thread (ball bearing protects top of stud), then thread the cylinder stud into your case.  Revere the acorn out and go on to next stud.  Be careful not to drop bearing into case.  I cover the cylinder base hole with shop rag.   

You can also use the two nuts and open wrench to put the cylinders studs in.  This is slower and you have to be careful not to bend the studs.  Hope that make sense. 

dave