May 09, 2024, 02:46:06 PM

News:

working on my FXR

Started by scottericsonon, February 17, 2011, 11:11:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scottericsonon

finally starting on my FXR "rebuild"

plans include mids,a 2:1 pipe,new wheels,new works shocks in the back,upside-down fully adjustable sportybike front end and a repaint.....

got my 2:1 on and the mids on the brake side......

the pipe is the "screaming eagle"version of the V&H "pro-pipe"

V&H made them for harley and just put a bigger baffle in it so harley could say that it was under 80db.........i pulled that one out and replaced it with a V&H "competition baffle".....sounds great and not as loud as the mind-numbing hookers that were on the bike...

the long hookers I had wouldnt fit with the mids

have my new rear wheel but cant bolt it back together untill i repaint my rear fender (it's just going John Deere blitz black for now)

rear wheel  just a solid aluminum disk that my favorite indy  http://www.thejebbyshack.com/contact.html found hiding in the back of his shed...

jebby gave me a GREAT price on it so we stuck some bearings in it and spooned on a new conti blitz and the NON-chrome plated aluminum is cleaning up VERY nicely with liberal applications of rubbing compound and 1000 grit wet/dry paper...

going to finish it off with some mothers and it will be good to go

im putting a different timing cover on it too.......
\
"freebie" used flat points cover from jebby + $12 ebay belt buckle
(with some drill/hacksaw work) = a one of a kind "custom-sure to draw some "man where'd you get that??" points cover

=
stock FXR forks are 32" from axle center to the top of the trees.......

my old ones were 34" while these new ones are 30" so right away it should handle better...

of course it didnt drop it the full 2" due to the fork angle (29deg) and the smaller offset (stem centerline to fork centerline distance)

with the 17" wheel it's dropped from 7" ground to frame rail to about 5 1/2" .....i'm pretty pleased with that

my trail numbers look real good at 4.83.............................http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/rakeandtrail.html

also stock shocks are 13.5" my old ones were 11" (!!!) and the works shocks im using are 12.5"

so in all actuality i believe after my mucking about I'm essentially at stock ride hight MINUS 1 inch (ish) front and rear

seem reasonable?

I was able to pick up this complete front end cheap and someone else had already set it up for a harley......it used to be on a turbocharged 99 dyna

it was re-valved and respringed to account for the heavier motorcycle weight (i have all the reciepts from when that was done)..........

it ORIGINALLY came off of a 1990-ish suzuki GSXR 1100 and has adjustable rebound and dampening

those 4 pot brakes should honk as well 

karlsbike

Excellent stuff - should become a good handler.
Are you doing anything to the engine?

I'm re-building as well - here's my status:

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]
All the best,
Karl '90 FLTC/FLHR - S&S 96

scottericsonon

no I'm going to leave the engine alone.....

it's already pretty built up with a S&S stroker crank and a decent cam as well as the heads etc,,,,,

some more "teaser" shots.........

getting close now......

need my rear wheel speedo parts from jebby........
get that mounted and get the speedo dash together

clean up and paint the exhaust bracket i made.........i may wrap the exhaust as well...not sure yet

finish bleeding the front brakes

get a replacement bulb for the "high beam indicator" in the headlight

that should be about it.....

scottericsonon

well I THOUGHT it was going to be done today but on one of my shakedown runs the new rear wheel speedo went keflooey and tore up my rear drive pulley....

anyone have a 85-1999 B/T wheel pulley for cheap??

I can run without a speedo but I gotta have a pulley

other than that it was  BRILLIANT!!

handles even better than before and runs like a house on fire

and those twin four pots in the front are UNBELIEVABLE!!

the works shocks are VERY  nice and seem to be "just right" as far as hight goes

very good balance between the front and rear suspension

the corbin is pretty comfortable with  nice support for your lower back....

ergonomically it feels VERY similiar to my sporty....

a nice "sitting up" riding position which is VERY easy to control the bike from

scottericsonon

i got lucky and found a used pulley local so i slapped it on......

went on a 65 mile "test ride" yesterday and everything seems to be "ship-shape"

im still not 100% if i like that rear fender or not....

on one hand ive always liked the style of those and i like the tombstone taillight but on the other hand man it sits awfully far above the rear tire

lower shocks would work but the geometry is pretty good where it is and the odds of me finding a set of 1" shorter works shocks for what i paid for these is pretty slim

a "lowering kit" IMO is NOT an option.....i think the shocks work best close to straight up and down as intended when erik buell originally designed the FXR

if i DO change the fender I'm thinking about maybe one of these

Tbones

Looks good, nice frontend, I bet she's sweet :)...  Maybe a wider tire on the back?  180?  I've always like the bobbed fenders but in the end, it's your bike and what you like :).  So far, she's look'en sweet, congrats.
=IF IT DON'T DO 150 IT AIN'T WORTH HAVING=

92Fatty

Great work. I don't think swapping to the bobbed fender will change your wheel gap. Have you thought about pulling it off and adding an inch or so metal under the strut area? I like the one you have because it will just make people grab their chin and wonder what model is it? Then while you are still working on it trim the front fender up some to resemble the fxr fender more. Just my .02 Kent  :beer:

scottericsonon

Quote from: 92Fatty on March 04, 2011, 03:58:26 PM
Have you thought about pulling it off and adding an inch or so metal under the strut area?

actually that's the latest idea........

i played around with a fatboy fender some and i just didnt like the way it looked

for now tho i'm living with it and can deal with the way it looks

mp

Something's off with that back tire/ shock/ fender.  I've got an FXRS with stock back fender, 12.5" 412 shocks (13" is stock), and an MU(140)90-16 tire and don't have any gap above the tire like you do.  The slightly taller, wider tire and shorter shock filled the fender nicely.   Your shocks look a lot taller than 12.5 to me.  What size tire do you have on the back?
The duck's ass back fender would look even worse.  Look at any softail.

scottericsonon

actually they're 13 1/2 " shocks.....

it was a typo in my first post.... :bf:

the tire is a MT90-16.....\

i think it is a combination of several things all stacking up to give me that gap....

it rides EXCELLENT the way it is set up so I think I am going to grab a used
FL rear fender (much like this one) and experiment with adding some sheetmetal that will hang down a little below the fender struts as was suggested

baldoldfxr

if you get stuck for a speedo a cheap electronic pedal bike one with the pickup on the front wheel wire is an easy fix,
& if you set them up properly IE measure your front wheel & program it into the unit they are very accurate, gives a good comparison with the normal cable driven units which are often inaccurate, make sure the wire between pickup & display is long enough, the better ones have a longer wire option to use on pedal bike rear wheels which is usually enough for front wheel use on HDs

seattledyna

I really like that front end! it looks like it means all business for sure!

btw, here is my timing cover  :wink:

scottericsonon

some new pics of the old girl from today.....

I was able to drop the ass-end by flipping the preload adjusters on the shocks upside-down

im not going to use that badge for a timing cover after all......

it's 3-D and i dont have quite the clearance I'd like with the brake pedal.....

i bought another one and plan on running them as "tank badges" probably with some silver pinstripe

elvislee

Looking good man! I LIKE the rear fender and the tombstone tailight dude. Been wanting to go thast route on my FXR4 one day; now that I've seen how it looks I'm gonna have to make a plan...LOL! Thanks for the pics.