May 01, 2024, 10:07:42 PM

News:

Mik 48 swap for a S&S g

Started by -JC-1, February 18, 2011, 03:06:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

-JC-1

I think I'm going to take off my G carb and put on a Mik 48 -
Is there an adapter plate to run a S&S air filter cover and an extended filter?

thanks,
joe
04 FLHT-S&S 124-Baisley-640ez-xxx super g-IST-02-FXST 103 NRA Patron SAF Life

hrdtail78

Semper Fi

-JC-1

hrdtail78

Trock also makes an adapter to your G manifold.
Semper Fi

-JC-1

I've got an adapter from Vulcan that bolts up, but thanks anyway!

peckerwood

you'll be sorry, mik.  carb is too hard too tune , ss carb is one of ss's best products :scratch:

-JC-1

I like the g, runs good, I've got a Mik 48 that I had on my 117 a couple of years ago that is just been collecting dust-

just chalk it up to me wanting something to do this weekend       :teeth:

hrdtail78

I'm glad a took my G w/ TJ's off and replaced with 48 and one TJ.  Only complaint is slide rattle.
Semper Fi

TXChop

:up:  Never a problem with my mik 48 either, cept the rattle. Tuned in well..I just decided efi was better or i would still be runnin it.

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: hrdtail78 on February 19, 2011, 12:11:57 PM
I'm glad a took my G w/ TJ's off and replaced with 48 and one TJ.  Only complaint is slide rattle.

The intake bell on a 48 is pretty short.. Where did you manage to put the Tjet?

TIA

BTW, Nothing wrong with either carb.. I can get better gas mileage with the Mik tho.. 

Besides the rattle, throttle pull is a little stiff.. I suppose that could be fixed..

Max

-JC-1

just finished it up, found a doherty adapter in a box- seems I ordered it back in 07- but I don't remember it   :embarrassed:

had to grind the back of the sns filter plate to get it to fit, and I had to take the 3/8 boss off the back where the head breather tube goes, and vent it to air,
It sticks out about 1" farther, no biggy
I took some pics, I'll try to post after a shakedown ride

Admiral Akbar

hrdtail78

February 19, 2011, 10:53:33 PM #12 Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 11:48:15 PM by hrdtail78
I'll get a pic for ya.  Not tonight though. 9:00 Right in the way of the adjuster screw.
Semper Fi

Admiral Akbar

No hurry.. Not planning on installing one soon..  :wink:

Max

-JC-1

before and after pic of backing plate

-JC-1

-JC-1

turboprop

Very cool adaptation.

How does the performance with the Mik compare the G, set-o-pants or dyno, interested in both.

I am running a XXX G w/TJ and 1" spacer on a G intake and considering a change to the Mik 48 on a D intake. Looking forward to hearing your reveiw of the new setup. -Ed
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Admiral Akbar

hrdtail78

I used a gasket as a template and made a 1/4 spacer to put in between the AC and Doherty adapter. Gave my throttle stop the room it needed. Then my throttle stop broke off.  I think these adapters are made for the flat AC.  I like the radius on the super AC's more. 
Semper Fi

-JC-1

Quote from: hrdtail78 on February 20, 2011, 01:44:50 PM
I used a gasket as a template and made a 1/4 spacer to put in between the AC and Doherty adapter. Gave my throttle stop the room it needed. Then my throttle stop broke off.  I think these adapters are made for the flat AC.  I like the radius on the super AC's more.

I think your idea of an adapter is good,I didn't have anything to make a spacer out of, and I needed to punch out the 3/8 pipe in order to grind away the boss, so grind away I did.

I can't get 100% full throttle opening for some reason, I've readjusted cables, taken them off, lubed, re-adjusted, and I can only get about 85% rotation on the throttle- I can rotate it the rest of the way by hand though-

off idle response seems a fuzz crisper, afr guage shows jetting is close, off throttle deceleration is way leaner than the g, although I don't see that as an issue

only seat time i had was last evening, I've been trying to chase the throttle opening issue today

hrdtail78

Which bracket did you have on your G?  The short or tall.  If tall it should be an easy swap over.  I would leave the return off and just use the throttle.  Trouble shoot it that way. 
Semper Fi

-JC-1

Quote from: hrdtail78 on February 20, 2011, 02:15:08 PM
Which bracket did you have on your G?  The short or tall.  If tall it should be an easy swap over.  I would leave the return off and just use the throttle.  Trouble shoot it that way.

thanks, it's the tall one, I'll give it a try