May 02, 2024, 03:06:04 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Exhaust port torque cones and/or baffles?

Started by jerite, December 28, 2008, 04:23:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jerite

Hey guys-
Gonna be runnin' some 1-3/4" drags. I have never used torque cones and lookin' for some feedback. I like drags but lose needed back pressure. Have any of you guys used them with some baffles? Was gonna use some 4" baffles, I guess they call them lollipops. Is it better to run the cones without baffles or just baffles and no cones? Any feedback would be helpful.
thanx in advance-
Jer
Less is more....let's keep it simple!

Old Crow

I've been running drags on my FLT for a few years.  I've tried them with 4" baffles, with the "washer trick" and with just a bolt sticking into the exhaust. 
My bike seems to run best with either the washers(what you termed the "lollipop trick")turned sideways, or just a 5/16" bolt about an inch long sticking into the exhaust stream. 
Ran OK at lower rpms with the baffles, but had no top end.  I tried cutting the baffles in half and that helped a little, but sounded like $hit.  I also played with the adjustment on the washers, and found they worked best for me turned parallel to the exhaust flow(they also have an annoying whistle at any angle other than 90 degrees to the exhaust flow or parallel to the exhaust flow).  I ended up ditching the washers and just putting a bolt through the hole.  That has worked best for the last couple of years. 
For what it's worth, I also tried a 2 into 1(old style not a header type exhaust)and that ran best with a stock muffler on it with the core knocked out of it.
'82 FLT, 4 3/4" stroker, S&S carb, Andrews A grind.  Big, heavy bike, and I pull a trailer.
This ain't Dodge City, and you ain't Bill Hickock.

76shuvlinoff

No real world experience with torque cones but I was always told they were better for Evos than Shovels. I have run the lollipop on long straight pipes to get rid of the reversion wave that was knocking gas backwards out of the carb throat and soaking my filter. They did help the bottom end.

- Mark
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway