May 04, 2024, 07:29:26 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Opening Intake ports with the heads on the bike

Started by GoFast....., December 28, 2008, 07:38:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoFast.....

Has anyone ever done it. I am thinking of putting a manifold on a 98" that is 1.710
Nothing like the Sound of a Harley and the Smell of Rubber

wfolarry

It's not worth the trouble. Couple years back S&S decided to make their manifolds '1 size fits all'. Said they tested it & there was no difference in power. Being the non-believer I am I decided to test it myself. On the flowbench - no difference. Dyno - same thing. This was their new style not the old one. That one would have fell flat on it's face. If it's a good manifold there won't be much difference if any. If it's a bad manifold then you have to start from square 1.

GoFast.....

Admiral Akbar

Unless you can guarantee that the flow is going to change and get better its not worth it. I tried this some years ago on my 116 with a set of heads that 2 inch intakes and 1.64 port.. Mated from a 1.6 SnS to a 1.80 SnS and got 0 difference in performance on the dyno.. Told me that the flow restriction wasn't there.. Max

wcgrinder

Don D

As your head porter.
I would be inclined to discourage it..
Potential gain VS potential loss.

Faast Ed

QuoteAre you wanting to port the heads on the bike?

I think he only wanted to open up the area that meets the intake manifold.
≡Faast Ed>

mayor

Quote from: Deweysheads on December 29, 2008, 10:57:21 AM
As your head porter.

Don, did you do the BBB 98" WT heads? 
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

Mike52

Quote from: mayor on December 29, 2008, 07:07:13 PM
Quote from: Deweysheads on December 29, 2008, 10:57:21 AM
As your head porter.

Don, did you do the BBB 98" WT heads? 

This should be interesting.
Mike52   Tampa Bay,FL
www.harleytechtalk.net

wcgrinder

Difficult to keep contamination out.Performance gains would Nil with the stock bowl area.

JK

Ditto what Larry said.  Did the same tests at Zippers, same results (no difference).  Just bolt it on, be sure to use the correct (thinner) seals.

Admiral Akbar

JK,

With a 1.710 port size, wouldn't the spigot OD still be something like 1.810-20? Could still use the regular seals.. The 1.780-1.800  ports use a 1.880-1.900 spigot and need the thinner seals. Max.

JK

Best to check the OD as you said.  If it's the larger OD, 1.880" or thereabouts, use the thinner seals.

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

Faast Ed

I do believe the HPI's want the thinner seals regardless of diameter.
≡Faast Ed>

jsachs1

I think HPI uses a 1.880" od manifold,no matter the id.You need their seals.
Harley Davidson makes a seal for their 44mm.style manifold,and early SE 50 mm. throttle body. Seal pt.# 27035-05.
John

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: jsachs1 on December 30, 2008, 03:54:02 PM
I think HPI uses a 1.880" od manifold,no matter the id.You need their seals.
Harley Davidson makes a seal for their 44mm.style manifold,and early SE 50 mm. throttle body. Seal pt.# 27035-05.
John

Good to know.. Are the 27035-05 thin like the SnS?  That'd be real good to know when you run out around here.. I don't think anyone, even the indys stock the SnS. Bruce

wfolarry

fuzznut5197

Quote from: MaxHeadflow on December 29, 2008, 07:47:54 AM
Unless you can guarantee that the flow is going to change and get better its not worth it. I tried this some years ago on my 116 with a set of heads that 2 inch intakes and 1.64 port.. Mated from a 1.6 SnS to a 1.80 SnS and got 0 difference in performance on the dyno.. Told me that the flow restriction wasn't there.. Max

So, (1.80 - 1.64)/2 = .080" lip around the circumference. I'm looking at my dial caliper, and it looks like quite a large difference. But if it doesn't do squat to match it, then I learned something today.
Thank you, thank you very much.  :smiled:

jsachs1

Bruce,
The MoCo seal falls in between the stock and the S&S.
John

GoFast.....

I'll just say a bigger intake port with a bigger manifold with the right intake valve will increase flow and will show on the dyno