May 04, 2024, 04:54:47 PM

News:

Crank going Bad

Started by POORBOY, December 28, 2008, 09:16:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POORBOY

02 Touring ,guy wanted me to see why the topend was so noise,  runout  .005 and  oil pump has  several stress cracks,even a piece of the pump gone,this oil pump looked like it was ready to explode
Poorboy   Moonshine  TN

Clintster

How many miles, what mods?
Drive fast, take chances

Hillside Motorcycle

My question also is the amount of miles.
.005" is not the end of the world,(not what you want though) and we have seen worse without that damage.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

sandrooney

I thought the 02's were the t!t$ ????
SR
Patience is such a waste of time .

POORBOY

Bike has 26k on it,not sure how many miles are on the build,it has Tman Heads and TR600 cams, Scott if went back with chain drive what about the oil pump if .005 has took this one out.
Poorboy   Moonshine  TN

Don D

Would fix the crank!
Just trued and welded is sufficient provided the pinion journal where it goes through the cam plate is not damaged. Look at the camplate bushing and check for wear there.

02FYRFTR

Polish the pinion shaft bushing diameter with 600 wet paper, send the crank out to true,plug and weld, replace the wrist pin bushings also if they are scored.  Purchase the 25308-07 for about 358 bucks which includes new cam plate and new style oil pump.  revolution performance or DarkHorse for the flywheel work.  Chicag H/D or jenny at Tri-County H/D for the camplate/pump assembly.

POORBOY

Going to pull the crank and send it out,
Poorboy   Moonshine  TN

Faast Ed

Could the pump damage be from broken tensioners?  .005 should not have hurt the pump.
≡Faast Ed>

POORBOY

Fast it is gear drive,the pump has stress cracks in 3 different places, I would'nt thought .005 would take out the pump, talked to John @ Darkhorse and he thinks there maybe more issues when it is pulled and checked.
Poorboy   Moonshine  TN

Faast Ed

QuoteFast it is gear drive,

Whoops!   LOL  I got distracted with the low runout damage to the pump.
≡Faast Ed>

wfolarry

I am doing an '03 now that had the same problem only the flywheels were scissored more. Bike was made into a 103 when bought new so he had the stock flywheels. Welded the flywheels, replaced the bearings & started to reassemble but the shafts wouldn't fit in the bearings. Pulled the bearings out & measured the holes where the bearings sit. Holes were beat out of round .005 - .006 & were squeezing the bearings too tight. Getting new cases now. Another reason to go Timken when you have it apart.

Faast Ed

Larry, I bet the owner is puking on his shoes.  Very sad story!
≡Faast Ed>

POORBOY

Quote from: 05FLHTC on December 29, 2008, 03:39:23 PM
Nuttin that can't be fixed with $$$  :angry:  :wtf:
Now that is a true answer
Poorboy   Moonshine  TN

Clintster

I have a question, was there any increase in gear noise? Was the camchest loud any increased whine or any thing of that nature?
Drive fast, take chances

POORBOY

No gear whine,topend noise big time,lot 'a blowby.
Poorboy   Moonshine  TN