May 06, 2024, 05:28:02 PM

News:

Klockwerks Windshield

Started by FLHT_FXSTD, December 29, 2008, 04:43:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLHT_FXSTD

Anyone have one of these windshields on their bagger? I saw a clip on this windshield a while back and the guy said it puts about 20lbs of down-force on the front of the bike. I'm wondering if it reduces fuel mileage. Any help is appreciated. I don't want to buy one, and end up getting less fuel mileage than I do now. It's already bad enough. Thanks.

GoFast.....

I have one on my flhx and it really stabilies the bike. I really like it but I do not know if it affects the mpg
Nothing like the Sound of a Harley and the Smell of Rubber

1711tab

Quote from: FLHT_FXSTD on December 29, 2008, 04:43:54 AM
Anyone have one of these windshields on their bagger? I saw a clip on this windshield a while back and the guy said it puts about 20lbs of down-force on the front of the bike. I'm wondering if it reduces fuel mileage. Any help is appreciated. I don't want to buy one, and end up getting less fuel mileage than I do now. It's already bad enough. Thanks.

It hasn't reduced the mpg on my Road Glide...
"KOC" - HYPERFORMANCE & R&R CYCLES R&D TC 131"

INNOVATORS NOT IMITATORS

hrdtail78

Got one on a Strretglide and have not notice any drop in the MPH.  The look of it has grown on me.
Semper Fi

Bakon

December 29, 2008, 11:14:47 AM #4 Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 03:54:40 PM by SHOStreetglide
Got one too. Way better than stock windshield to keep wind off but not as good as the Stock size on the Ultras. Did not notice any mpg change but wasnt looking either. By the way it re directs wind but bugs will still come straight at you. Right in the middle of your face.
wasting time

FLTRI

Quote from: FLHT_FXSTD on December 29, 2008, 04:43:54 AM

Read the site propaganda carefully, they address this problem on a FLTR (model year not stated) "30-35 lbs of measurable lift at highway speeds"...."the FLARE adds 10-15 lbs of downforce on the front of the bike at the same speeds". No argument. When I spoke to the FL platform engineer in 2003, he readily admitted the front end got a bit lighter @ 70 mph, and were addressing it through their own wind tunnel testing. Hence, in 2004 they tilted the fairing 4 degs down to reduce lift. Also they found when fairing lowers were added, lift was reduced as well. (Those with FLTRs and FLHTs may have noticed their bikes got more stable on the freeways after adding fairing lowers to their bike)

Simple question: Was the testing with Klockwerks done on a pre-2004 RG that had the 30-35 lbs of lift? If so, if you own a 2004-up RG the test results simply do not apply.
And the most obvious hole in their advertising is the offering of a FLARE windshield for the FLHT models as they are using the same (official) test results from the FLTR to sell their product for a FLHT which has an entirely different fairing design. :smileo:

For FLARE windshields owners who want to know if it really does what the propaganda claims:
Take a piece of any kind of tape, string, etc, attach one end to the FLARE's lip, in the center. From there find a place straight down, or as straight down as possible to attach the tape, string, etc tautly (no slack). Then take a 10-15 lb sack of whatever (sand, potatoes, dog food, etc) carefully lay it on the trailing edge of the FLARE windshield on top of the lip. Visually measure the slack the weight cased. Then go down the road at highway speed and see if the tape or string gets as loose as when the sack was placed on top of FLARE. While not scientific, it will give you and idea of the reality of the downforce....or lack thereof.

Disclaimer: I am not an aerodynamacist but do know and understand the difference between downforce and lift. :wink:

PS- If you like the look of the FLARE windshield it really doesn't matter if it works as claimed, so please disregard the above. :smiled:
PSS- I have had a few customers come in for tunes and have asked them about their FLAREs (both with the short and taller ones) and they basically have stated the shorter one works about as good as the stock FLHT , higher windshield and quite a bit better than the 4"FLHX (StreetGlide). However the couple guys with the taller FLTR versions stated they are not that happy because they expected it to be much better than the stock FLTR windshield.

Fact is there is eye glass height turbulence created from the air coming around the outside of fairing and colliding with air coming up from the front fork area and spilling out to the sides on FLTR bikes, but that is another topic and was broached in an earlier thread.

Hope this is taken in the spirit in which it was intended (observation),
Bob
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

grampa thunder

Put one on my 07 Street Glide. It works and looks fine up to about 60 mph. I did put about 500 miles on the bike. The passenger says it is like going through a wind tunnel. If you can get it for 20.00 buy it. Just not worth more than that. I ended up putting on the old one half way through the trip. Then ended up buying a 8" smoke that we really like. Good luck.

harleywood

Check out ceebaileys.com if your interested in this design of windscreen. I love mine on my FLHT.....
05 FLHT
95", SE251, AMS, SE 10.5, .030 Cometic.

Scooter Trash

What problems are there (if any) with the fairing mounts?

FLTRI

Quote from: Scooter Trash on December 31, 2008, 01:03:13 PM
Not sure what you are refering to?

hrdtail78

Quote from: FLTRI on December 31, 2008, 02:12:30 PM
Quote from: Scooter Trash on December 31, 2008, 01:03:13 PM
Not sure what you are refering to?

They are made of cheap pot metal and break easy.  There is somebody making them out of SS.  Dont remember the source.
Semper Fi

Deye76

Bob, in addition to the 4° tilt of the fairing, the factory also tilted the windshield back 4°, according to an engineer I spoke with in Milwaukee. In the parts catalog HD shows part #'s for windshields 98'-03', and part #'s for 04' and later. I think Klockwerks only makes one model. Something elese to consider.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

harleywood

Here's the link-theirs has been out for several years now- http://www.ceebaileys.com/cycle/index.html
05 FLHT
95", SE251, AMS, SE 10.5, .030 Cometic.

FLTRI

Quote from: Deye76 on December 31, 2008, 04:54:36 PM
Bob, in addition to the 4° tilt of the fairing, the factory also tilted the windshield back 4°, according to an engineer I spoke with in Milwaukee. In the parts catalog HD shows part #'s for windshields 98'-03', and part #'s for 04' and later. I think Klockwerks only makes one model. Something elese to consider.
I learn something new everyday! Thankss,
Bob

greycanuck

Re-what harleywood said, cee baileys makes a super step contour windshield..i,ve had one on my roadking for 4 years...excellent quality and i think that the tilt angle allows the cee bailey,s windshield to come back towards the rider @ 8 inches. i got the larger size, head buffeting disappeared and the wife says smoother air for her also. i like it so much i never take it off. I think klockwerks is a knock off of cee baileys but with less tilt back and what iv,e read on other forums poorer quality and the head buffeting issue seems not to be resolved with klockwerks.

FLTRI

Quote from: greycanuck on December 31, 2008, 07:54:18 PM
Re-what harleywood said, cee baileys makes a super step contour windshield..i,ve had one on my
for 4 years...excellent quality and i think that the tilt angle allows the cee bailey,s windshield to come back towards the rider @ 8 inches. i got the larger size, head buffeting disappeared and the wife says smoother air for her also. i like it so much i never take it off. I think klockwerks is a knock off of cee baileys but with less tilt back and what iv,e read on other forums poorer quality and the head buffeting issue seems not to be resolved with klockwerks.
AFAIK, we are refering to FLHT and FLTR bikes (stock, fixed fairings w/windshields) not FLHR (RoadKing) which, stock,  is equipped with a removable windshield. That said maybe you have an aftermarket add-on FLHT Batwing? If the angle of the windshield may not be the same as the stock FLHT.

greycanuck

sorry for the confusion...yes i do have a bat wing fairing off an old 1984 flh that i modded for a 2001  road king , it is the old style that has just the shell and no inner part to the fairing. i modded and re-machined the original mtg brackets so that it would work with the original roadking docking hardware. when i first found out about the ssc cee baileys windshield i called the factory to see if they would send me a windshield for a flht  less the mounting holes as i wanted to drill my own holes as the holes have different spacing (old style verses newer stle fairing) the person at cee baileys said sure so i ordered it. as i said before i have been running it for 4 years and i never take it off as i like it so much. if you remember the old style fairings have 3 sets of holes to raise or lower the windshield using (2  1/4x20 bolts) which have a total adjustment of 3 inches from highest to lowest position. in the coldest weather i raise to highest and look through windshield...in warmer weather i lower 1 1/2 inches and look just over top of shield...and in hottest weather i lower it an additional 1 1/2 inches and look over top of shield. even in lowest position i don,t suffer head buffeting and that recurve lip makes smooth air for my passanger. 

FLTRI

Quote from: greycanuck on January 02, 2009, 07:49:30 PM
sorry for the confusion...yes i do have a bat wing fairing off an old 1984 flh that i modded for a 2001  road king , it is the old style that has just the shell and no inner part to the fairing. i modded and re-machined the original mtg brackets so that it would work with the original roadking docking hardware. when i first found out about the ssc cee baileys windshield i called the factory to see if they would send me a windshield for a flht  less the mounting holes as i wanted to drill my own holes as the holes have different spacing (old style verses newer stle fairing) the person at cee baileys said sure so i ordered it. as i said before i have been running it for 4 years and i never take it off as i like it so much. if you remember the old style fairings have 3 sets of holes to raise or lower the windshield using (2  1/4x20 bolts) which have a total adjustment of 3 inches from highest to lowest position. in the coldest weather i raise to highest and look through windshield...in warmer weather i lower 1 1/2 inches and look just over top of shield...and in hottest weather i lower it an additional 1 1/2 inches and look over top of shield. even in lowest position i don,t suffer head buffeting and that recurve lip makes smooth air for my passanger. 
Nice setup.  :up: :up: :up:
Wish HD did that on current bikes. I'm sure everyone with Batwings would like to adjust their windshield up and down.

Skeet

I just installed mine and found that it will not work with the stock rubber gasket that comes on the the CVO SE Road Glide. I have it on the bike with no gasket at all presently. It looks like my only options are to make my own or use the trim that goes along the edge of the windshield as shown in the parts list for a 2008 Road Glide Std.
2009 FLTR SE3

FLTRI

"or use the trim that goes along the edge of the windshield as shown in the parts list for a 2008 Road Glide Std."
Prolly the easiest/safest method.
Let us know how you like the FLARE compared to the stocker.

thealaskan©

Personally I think the WindVest design looks much better, cleaner.  I had one on my FXR for years and loved it. 

I'm not sure if they're less turbulent than the klockwerk, but they're making them now for E glides and soon for Road Glides.

www.windvest.com

FLTRI

Now that looks like what I've been wanting/waiting for.  :up: :up: :up: Can't wait till they make it available!!!

Deye76

Quote from: thealaskan© on January 04, 2009, 10:19:36 AM
Personally I think the WindVest design looks much better, cleaner.  I had one on my FXR for years and loved it. 

I'm not sure if they're less turbulent than the klockwerk, but they're making them now for E glides and soon for Road Glides.

www.windvest.com

Looks like a copy of the Clearview®. By the picture, material not as thick as the Clearview.
Any idea what the WindVest costs$$?
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP