May 04, 2024, 08:13:14 AM

News:

Chinese stuff...

Started by tireater, December 29, 2008, 05:48:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tireater

Alot of people don't think about how this stuff gets here. Container ships pass by Santa Barbara on a regular basis...
Smoke from them drifts on shore here and is trapped between the mountains and coast here...It kills our air quality...
Many of these containers are then driven by trucks by Santa Barbara on 101...The ships and trucks are the main reason why our air tests poorly...
The smog people know this but insist on tougher testing on out vehicles...even though it will have no effect on our air...
Even if you stay out of Walmart...Everyone pays something for the Chinese goods invasion....

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]
Ride it...Break it...Fix it...Repeat...

egstandard

That's true. But until the government does something about the unfair trade policies this last administration put in place, it will just keep on coming.

Flat Dog

Good points! The EPA 'crackdown' on bikes is nothing more than an attack on a so called certain segment of society that the haves would like to see go away, and the EPA is getting the ball rolling.

The no imports/drastically reduced imports questions, however, are:

Are you willing (or even able) to pay a 100%+ or even higher price for the same goods made in USA we purchase now from foreign manufacturers?
Would you work for $5-$10 a day?

We built the railroads by importing Chinese people...

ViennaHog

December 29, 2008, 06:40:46 AM #3 Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 06:44:37 AM by ViennaHog
Ships contribute to a large degree to the world wide NOx and SO2 emissions. The engines use the cheapest fuel available with high levels of sulfur and other contaminants in it. Those engines can be designed for fuel efficiency as the emissions of ocean-going vessels are largely unregulated.
The fuel consumption per ton and mile is excellent compared to any motor vehicle, but the emission per ton and mile are much, much higher. This is a big problem in many harbor towns over here in Europe. Rotterdam and Hamburg as examples are suffering badly from the SO2 emissions.

Fxstchewy

But that's OK, it's for the economy............ :embarrassed:
"I'll keep my freedom, my guns and my money. You can have the change."

texaskatfish

Tireater I promise you - that excess pollution in the SoCal region aint gonna be around for long.

China is financing the world's largest container port down in Mexico. They will tell Long Beach and all their continuously new rules that SAY they are about pollution and excess traffic but in reality are just more ways to charge more money - to go suck eggs.

Containers will soon enough be flying across our southern borders "in bond" at 70 mph - and will not clear customs until they arrive at newly created container terminals in Kansas or Missouri.

Just think of all the cleaner air those unemployed stevedores will have to breathe!

please don't shoot the messenger folks..................
Katfish  Vice President   Cypress Chapter BACA
RIP Jester http://bacaworld.org/

Skullfork

December 29, 2008, 03:26:35 PM #6 Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 08:12:44 PM by Evil-Eagle
Quote from: John P on December 29, 2008, 06:34:10 AM
Good points! The EPA 'crackdown' on bikes is nothing more than an attack on a so called certain segment of society that the haves would like to see go away, and the EPA is getting the ball rolling.

The no imports/drastically reduced imports questions, however, are:

Are you willing (or even able) to pay a 100%+ or even higher price for the same goods made in USA we purchase now from foreign manufacturers?
Would you work for $5-$10 a day?

We built the railroads by importing Chinese people...

For the most part, you're paying just as much for the junk being made in China as you did when it was being made in the USA.  These companies didn't move offshore just so you could pay less ...it was to increase profit.

Gulfstream

Hey, no fair...that's the company my wife works for!  :embarrassed:

82fxrstroker

Evil Eagle,
      You obviously havn't noticed the huge price reductions in the chinese made motor parts HD's selling us now compared to the US parts they sold us a few years ago.  :hyst: :hyst: :hyst:

Reddog74usa

Yes I am willing to pay more for a quality product that I can count on. Check the lift post. The fact that china sells poisonus products for our children ought to be enough for us to stop buying from them but folks in the U.S.A. are stickin there head in the sand and walkin around with there head up there arse.  :wink:
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

Fxstchewy

Quote from: 82fxrstroker on December 29, 2008, 10:43:10 PM
Evil Eagle,
      You obviously havn't noticed the huge price reductions in the chinese made motor parts HD's selling us now compared to the US parts they sold us a few years ago.  :hyst: :hyst: :hyst:
Price reductions................... :hyst:
"I'll keep my freedom, my guns and my money. You can have the change."