April 27, 2024, 12:06:52 PM

News:

Tuff shed

Started by hotham, December 29, 2008, 09:12:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotham

I am planning to level an area to have a 12x16 Tuff Shed built.  This would allow the wife to finally park her car in the garage.  Anyone had good experiences with their sheds?  The one I want is the barn style which allows a loft for storage.  The new ones have galvanized steel runners that the floor sits on.  Seems like a great idea.

CraigArizona85248

I used a barn style tuff shed for years.  It was pretty decent construction.  If anything was lackingm it was the installation of the roofing material.  They did a lousy job with that.  They actually forgot to nail down a few of the shingles and they eventually slipped out.

-Craig

Ricinflorida

I have been considering one myself. I have decided when I get it I will order it without windows or shelves. That way I will put them myself. I plan to insulate it and in the dead of summer I can flip on the a/c. I will also put up a mix of paneling and peg board. I noticed a few months ago they were offering it painted free.

Ric

RK101

I don't know to much about them, but I have built many of my own.  If I may make a suggestion though. Make sure you put some heavy duty Poly under it first to keep the ground moisture away from the flooring material. I've also seen quite a few sheds that people had little to no venting under the floor and the floor went to junk real quick do to ground moisture.
Do not take life too seriously.  You will never get out of it alive.  ~Elbert H

kingvvk

I have 2 Tuff Sheds in my backyard. Love them !!! High Quality.  :up: :up: :wink:

markymark

I have had mine now for 6 years with "NO" problems.

Redleg

December 29, 2008, 07:24:30 PM #6 Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 07:26:50 PM by Redleg
Just a suggestion with the housing market being as bad as it is maybe you know a local carpenter who needs some work and could more than likely build you a better shed cheaper. I just googled Tuff Sheds and looked at the prices and I know I could build you one cheaper. I'm a retired carpenter. And also it is best to build on a cement slab with a footing to help keep critters from burrowing underneath. :idea:

hotham

Thanks for your suggestions.  I think I will pour a slab.  This eliminates lots of potential troubles.  At Home Depot they are offering 12 months no interest and no payments.  Also, until the 28th of January a 10% rebate.  DEAL!!

Redleg

I do believe that if you open a Home Depot charge you can get an additional 10% then either pay it off or put it on a cheaper charge...

04glide

I think redleg is on to something. You can build one hell of a shed with the money they want for a tuff shed. Nuffsaid.

truck

Build it yourself with beyond minimum requirement materials and you will have a shed that will last a lifetime.
2x3 and 24"on center with 1/2" 3 ply plywood will become a slum type building in short order.
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

RK101

I agree build it on a slab if possible. The reason many choose to build them without a slab is for tax purposes. In many areas a shed that is built as a temporary/moveable structure is not taxed. If your shed is looked upon as a possible garage having a concrete slab then in many areas that opens up a whole other can of EPA worms. IMO best to check with the local L and I to find out what works best for you and your needs before you start digging. I also agree with others build it yourself or with some friends. Just make sure when the beer cans open the building stops. LOL Things can get ugly in a hurry. Had a firemen neighbor invite the fire house over to build his. By 9:30 am the beers were popping and they where having a grand old time. He tore it down the next day. :hyst:

76shuvlinoff

Beer and ladders don't mix well.  About 14 years ago I had a 3 day roofing party for my house and attached garage.  We had potluck dinners with the guys and their families I provided the pool plus all the steak and beer they could handle. My only rule was no beer until we laid the ladders down in the evening. Overall it saved me a ton of money, everyone was well fed and nobody had any "incidents".

We took turns doing 4 different roofs among our group. Helpful hint: Make sure your home is last.  :wink:

Mark
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

loboheritage

I laid a pad and bought an 8x10 Tuff Shed
a little over a year ago.  park both my bikes
in it.  they have ramps for about $60 made out
of diamond plate steel that make it easy to go
in under power (5 1/2" rise) and to back out
easily.  I am only 5'7" and have no problem
backing a Heritage and 1200R out and down
the ramps.  I bought the double doors.  the
lock is very sturdy and the overall construction
is topnotch.....really a quality piece......

Redleg

I tore a shed down for a friend in Detroit once and all he had for a floor was 1" thick patio slabs for a floor and when I started pulling them up I found myself standing in the middle of at least a dozen rats running around me. I started smacking em with a shovel, got a bit of an adrenaline rush... Some city's or township have building codes and require a ratwall or footing for that reason. One alternative is to raise it off of the ground, but setting a floor tight to the ground without a ratwall isn't something I would do...

Rags722

Quote from: hotham on December 29, 2008, 07:50:48 PM
Thanks for your suggestions.  I think I will pour a slab.  This eliminates lots of potential troubles.  At Home Depot they are offering 12 months no interest and no payments.  Also, until the 28th of January a 10% rebate.  DEAL!!

Just keep in mind.... in some areas, building codes may determine if you go on a slab or not.  In my town, a shed on a slab is considered a "permanent" structure and the permit costs are higher and you get taxed on the structure.  However, the exact same shed on crushed stone, 4x4's for floor joists and a wood floor is considered "temporary" and gets a cheaper permit and no tax.  So, I built a "temporary" shed 20 years ago, and if the floor ever gets soft I'll tear it up in sections and pour concrete between the 4x4's. They will never know, and I'll get to find just how big the bumble bee nest under there is.

Rags

Tollbooth

Animals like to live under sheds. Here in Ill.we get coons, skunks, rats you name it. The smell is real bad. These animals must not cleanup.lol. My neighbor has something under their shed. If the wind is just right, wow does it smell.
The farmer showed me a product he uses for flies. Blue Marin??? He sprinkles it around the barn for flies. BUT if mixed in a bowl with fruit juice it makes a wonderful treat for coons ect. They love it. Just put the bowl near their nest. You will find em 2 not 3 steps from the bowl, dead. Find it at any farm supply store. Farm Fleet ect. Keep it away from kids and pets.
Tollbooth

tnicean

I bought plans and built my shed about 9 years ago.  It is a 12 X 16 with a concrete slab floor.  I got the proper permits and inspections.  I wired it with two circuits, one for floor outlets and one for lights and higher outlets over the workbench.  The inspectors got upset that I had the concrete poured before they inspected the footers, etc.  I learned something there.  But they did pass it.  The electrical inspector failed me for a couple of items.  One I remember was that the hole I bored through the 2 x 4s was not far enough back, so I had to put plates over each 2 x 4 where the wire went through.  I also had to put one GFI outlet on each circuit.  It has a pull down attic stair and lots of storage above.  I put plywood up 4 ft on the walls and pegboard the rest of the way.  It has a full size garage door and a bay window.  My wife and I built it by ourselves and it was a lot to do.  I had never installed a garage door before, but it still works great.  I shingled the roof.  I bought the plans and followed them carefully.  I figure it cost about $5K for everything, but I was building a heated home for my Heritage Softail Classic and it was worth it.  If you have some skills, I would say build your own.  If not, then get what you can.  I am thankful everyday for my building. 
Tnicean

RK101

It's also not a bad idea to take picture of your building project as you go. Especially footers and slab with a yard stick showing the depth. Then if any questions should arise after the pour you have those to go to.

seattledyna

December 30, 2008, 06:49:40 PM #19 Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 06:51:56 PM by seattledyna
I had these sheds built at the old house, the small one was for garden tools etc, and the bigger one was for working in since the garage was full of cars, bikes etc. both were built in one day by "Heartland Sheds" 3 years apart.  the big one is 12x16, largest you could build without a permit in Redmond WA.

The big one worked out good with the double doors on the side, I had a bench on one end and storage shelves on the other, plenty of room to get the bike in to work on, had two rows of 8ft fluorecent lights

but now I dont have space issues (yet)   :wink:

hotham

Like others suggested.  If I pour a slab, I will need a permit and I am limited to 200 Sq. Ft.  I called a friend, who is a master carpenter and he had some great ides.  He is coming on friday to give me a quote.  He builds around here all the time and his workmanship is first class.  Thanks for all the help.

Deye76

hotham, if you can't do a concrete slab, then elevate it enough so the critters won't chew a hole through the floor, and move in.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Redleg

Quote from: hotham on December 31, 2008, 08:08:11 AM
Like others suggested.  If I pour a slab, I will need a permit and I am limited to 200 Sq. Ft.  I called a friend, who is a master carpenter and he had some great ides.  He is coming on friday to give me a quote.  He builds around here all the time and his workmanship is first class.  Thanks for all the help.
Way to go..... :wink: