April 28, 2024, 01:38:01 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Adjusting SE Push Rods

Started by Wide Glide, December 29, 2008, 10:14:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wide Glide

I would like to known how to adjustable SE push rods with the tappet blocks installed?
When I installed the cam and adjustable rods I have the cam cover off and could
see the cam lobes. Do I have to pull the tappet blocks off or do you have to find
TDC/BDC before I adjust the rods.

Thanks
'97 FXDWG
Mike
'97 FXDWG
Mike

ceduby

Well Mike this one I can answer, you don't need the cam cover off, but since you do, be sure the rods are completely loose, pick a cylinder, rotate the motor until the cylinder is at top centre on compression, the lifters will be on the lowest part of the cam lobes, adjust the pushrods 3 full turns after they contact the lifters,( 0 up and down play) and tighten the jam nuts, wait until you can twist the pushrods by hand, usually around 10 minutes or so, this gives the lifters time to bleed down. Repeat with next cylinder. Depending on how many TPI will change the turns you need to adjust, ie; 24 TPI = 2.4, 32 TPI= 3.2 I'm pretty sure SE are 3 turns. There have been discussions about whether you should go 2.5 or 3.5 turns, I have tried both and for me it really didn't make any difference.  I'm sure someone else more knowledgeable may chime in here. But if not you should be good to go at 3 turns. Now that I think about it, put the cam cover back on, you don't have any support for the end of the cam, applying pressure on the cam very well could cock the cam slightly and I'm sure that can't be good. Remove the spark plugs, block plug hole with you finger, rotate engine till you feel compression, continue to rotate till cylinder stops coming up. This can be checked with a wooden dowel or somethings that is soft.

Good Luck
Beat it to fit, paint it to match

Bucket

Quote from: Wide Glide on December 29, 2008, 10:14:19 AM
I would like to known how to adjustable SE push rods with the tappet blocks installed?
see the cam lobes. Do I have to pull the tappet blocks off or do you have to find

Thanks
'97 FXDWG
Mike

Bucket

Quote from: ceduby on December 29, 2008, 11:01:06 AM
Well Mike this one I can answer, you don't need the cam cover off, but since you do, be sure the rods are completely loose, pick a cylinder, rotate the motor until the cylinder is at top centre on compression, the lifters will be on the lowest part of the cam lobes, adjust the pushrods 3 full turns after they contact the lifters,( 0 up and down play) and tighten the jam nuts,
Quote from: Bucket on December 29, 2008, 06:07:20 PM

Thanks
'97 FXDWG
Mike

Thanks
'97 FXDWG
Mike
:idea:wait until you can twist the pushrods by hand, usually around 10 minutes or so, this gives the lifters time to bleed down. Repeat with next cylinder. Depending on how many TPI will change the turns you need to adjust, ie; 24 TPI = 2.4, 32 TPI= 3.2 I'm pretty sure SE are 3 turns. There have been discussions about whether you should go 2.5 or 3.5 turns, I have tried both and for me it really didn't make any difference.  I'm sure someone else more knowledgeable may chime in here. But if not you should be good to go at 3 turns. Now that I think about it, put the cam cover back on, you don't have any support for the end of the cam, applying pressure on the cam very well could cock the cam slightly and I'm sure that can't be good. Remove the spark plugs, block plug hole with you finger, rotate engine till you feel compression, continue to rotate till cylinder stops coming up. This can be checked with a wooden dowel or somethings that is soft.

Good Luck

Thanks
'97 FXDWG
Mike
For H D #17988-98A  2.5 Turns.  Just installed a set along with an EV-27 and an s&s reed breather.These are called quick install Don't know about other SE rods. All is good so far really like the cam only 150 miles or so due to weather and work... Hope this helps

rdkng

fyi.. there are two types of HD adjustable chrome molly pushrods.  The older version
were not the 'easy' type.  I think the 'easy' types are a -99 number.  (& they are
2.5 turns)  The older version of adjustables would not quite clear the tappet blocks.,
thus not 'easy'  (guess how I know :)

anyway.. one key point is doing the adjustment on the heel of the cam, i.e. lowest
point.  On many cams this is not at TDC as some cams have some lift at TDC, so
you have to be BTDC.  (usually the 35 degree mark at BTDC on the compression
stroke works)
rdkng

Happy Motoring, Road King George

Bucket

HD # 17988-98A SE Quick Install for 84 and later Evo