April 28, 2024, 10:48:40 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

EVO TO SHOVEL

Started by HILLBILLY, December 29, 2008, 10:16:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HILLBILLY

I HAVE A S&S 88 INCH EVO AND I WOULD LIKE TO TURN IT INTO A SHOVEL DOES ANYONE KNOW IF IT CAN BE DONE AND IF IT CAN HOW MUCH WORK WOULD IT BE

TheSwede

Why in heavens name????

Best Regards
TheSwede

HILLBILLY

i like the shovel look and i know S&S makes a shovel just thought it would be cool

gryphon

If you're talking about buying a Shovel motor to install then yes, it will drop right in with zero problems. Converting to a shovel by modifying your cases would probably cost as much (or more than) as buying a shovel motor.

flhpolice

guido4198

I believe you can buy a set of rocker box covers that will make it look kinda like a shovel... or a pan,or a knuck for that matter. Then all you gotta do is loosen up a few kwey bolts so it shakes, rattles, and vibrates too hard to ride above 70, and will break down regularly... :hyst:

dave_9113

I recommend buying a used Shovel.  You can pick them up now for about as much as it would cost for the headache that you are asking.  Or you can simply trade your engine for a Shovel engine.  I know many folks would trade you.

dave

gryphon

HEY Guido4198,
   Have you ever actually owned a Shovel.

HILLBILLY

Ok thnks for all the replys fellas i thought it might be a crazy idea but i had to ask  :teeth:

HILLBILLY

no i have not my dad always road shovels i have riden them but not owend one y do you ask

gryphon

I was actually asking Guido because of his remark about loosening all the bolts so it would break down alot. I rode  Shovels for almost 30 years and never had problems like that. In fact my son now has my old motor in his bike. Usually I hear stupid remarks like that from guys who don't know much about them.

HILLBILLY

dave_9113

Quote from: guido4198 on December 29, 2008, 12:21:41 PM
I believe you can buy a set of rocker box covers that will make it look kinda like a shovel... or a pan,or a knuck for that matter. Then all you gotta do is loosen up a few kwey bolts so it shakes, rattles, and vibrates too hard to ride above 70, and will break down regularly... :hyst:

I know you're just making a joke, but shovels are dependable if you make them.  They weren't perfrect from the factory, but so were Evos and Twinkies.  You can buy kits to make your Evo covers into Pans and Knuckle look, but it won't be a direct bolt on job.  Don't think there's a shovel kit.  I've only seen these kits in the magazine and never in real life. 

dave

Dawgtired

A Shovel don't let you down, You let it down. By bad maintainance and not knowing your bike.
Look after em and thay look after you!
I love em.
Dawg.

guido4198

Well Gryphon....
You sure got me there. My only experience with shovels was in the mid-70's. 5 yrs. with my own, and riding in club packs w/ a bunch of'em..'til the boss told everybody to get a damn Evo so there would be fewer "issues" when we had places to go and people to piss off.  All that said...I'm the first to admit that at that point in my life, neither I nor my Brothers were likely taking the kind of care of our bikes that you do for yours, or that I would do today for that matter if I still had mine.
No personal offence meant. 

ST40

December 30, 2008, 07:44:33 AM #15 Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 07:55:52 AM by ST40
Well Guido, sounds like the "clubs" you rode with had a lot to do with your attitude.   If a "boss" told you to get an Evo in the 70's he was quite a "boss" since the mighty Evo's didn't show up til the 80's.   I'm sure you and your "brothers" pissed plenty of people off after you all got shiney Evo's.       Marty
Marty

76shuvlinoff

ouch!

Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

shovelbill

i believe Axtell makes cylinders that'll let you put one together pretty easily.......
build it, bust it.....figure out why

stroker800

Yes ...it can be done easier than you think,,,the hardest part is the stud relocation...Evos pre 93 are basically shovel bottom ends..A buddy I ride with has had it done as used evo cases are easier and cheaper to find,,my kids motor has a right side evo ,left side shovel with evo rods and wheels...The entire motor is a mix of bastard parts from the shop...I did not do the motor myself...I have a very creative machinist in IL,,,,,gotta love the skills!!
Dave

bikerider58

stroker is on the money.

Look at the Pan, the last units used the shovel bottom.  The same is true for the early EVOs, they used the shovel cases and bottom end.  One step at a time upgrades.  If you have a later head breathing EVO, well that is another story.

While I think my Pan is reliable, and Shovels are also solid bikes, the reality is that the new machines need much less work than the older ones.  So, if you just gas and go with an oil change now an then; I'd say stay away from an earlier model engine.