April 28, 2024, 12:26:23 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

113"s-s cam selection?

Started by hotbo, December 29, 2008, 12:43:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotbo

my ole man has a 113 s-s mill in his 94 fxr.the motor is a 2000 model with not alot of miles.when he bought it new. i put the s-s 600 lift cam in it.
we are going to be doing some tranny work and other things and just was pondering the idea of what might be a better cam for this mill if there is one.he bought the mill complete from s-s so the heads and other internals are just the way they come form them,no extra work.

is there anything to gain by changing the cam.it pulls really good and of course is really quick being in the fxr frame.any advice i will be thankful,travis
03 fatty 124"  S&S Super G/Bored w/T-jet,Dragos Softail Exh.

wfolarry

That 600 is a good cam for that motor. With high compression put an FXR consistent low 11's with a best of 10.97. You'll probably get a lot of comments about this cam or that cam but don't underestimate the one you got.

hotbo

Quote from: wfolarry on December 29, 2008, 07:17:56 PM
That 600 is a good cam for that motor. With high compression put an FXR consistent low 11's with a best of 10.97. You'll probably get a lot of comments about this cam or that cam but don't underestimate the one you got.

thanks larry  :up: thats kinda what i was figuring,just wanted to ask anyway :wink:
03 fatty 124"  S&S Super G/Bored w/T-jet,Dragos Softail Exh.

BKACHE

I had a SnS 113 in a hardtail. I went from the 585 to a 600 and was pleased. A guy had a 631 and that seemed to produce an extra 15hp or so on the top end. The torque on the bottom end may have suffered, but the 113" never really was lacking to get off the line. Since the 631 has a little more overlap for higher rpm, the engine did not ping on hard/hot acceleration.
+'s and -'s       
Dan

gryphon

BKACHE,
    Do you by any chance still have that 585 cam?

BKACHE

Dan

gryphon

I might be. I'm gradually collecting parts for a 107ci build I'll be doing soon and I have given some thought to trying out the S&S 585. Currently I have an HQ-29 for it but I'm upping my compression to about 10.5 to 1 and I really feel like the intake closing is way to early on the HQ cam. If you have an idea of what you'd like to get for it why don't you contact me at my home address. It should be listed.

Hillside Motorcycle

We installed a bunch of those in 113's at one time. Good cam.
Saw some good numbers with a G and Supertrapp 2/1's.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"