May 01, 2024, 05:03:24 PM

News:

clutch studs and pins

Started by panheaddreamer58, December 29, 2008, 12:53:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

panheaddreamer58

Clutch issues last summer on my stock 50 fl has lead me to tear into it . Lining looks good and the plates also. All was real gummy so soaking in white gas. The only thing beside the gummy issue is the grooves wore into the clutch studs (37583-41) and the clutch hub pins (37585-41). To me I think they need replaced but I check with you all to see if they will interfer with clutch operation.  Thanks

MBSKEAM

mine have worse grooves than that, and it works fine...
drill the plate holes a bit bigger,get a ramjet retainer and make sure your pressure plate is flat....
will work like butter....

mbskeam
http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a96/mbskeam/
You Can Have It All,MyEmpireOfDirt

CraigArizona85248

Yeah... I think the grooves on mine are worse too.  I'd just clean them up with some emory paper and call it good.

-Craig

ohio-rider

Don't forget to de-burr the holes after re-drilling them.

Dogbone45ACP

Like the others said ,drill hole in plates oversize. If these clutches rattle a bit they are working ok.

panheaddreamer58

I'll have to play dumb but I don't know what a ramjet is. I googled it but could not come up with any suppliers or pics.  Other question I got is if you drill out the holes bigger won't that allow  the clutch dsic to rub on the blocks on the clutch shell? (red arrow in pic) If it don't matter then I think I 'll do that. Just didn't want to where out the blocks on the shell.
Thanks again for the input,    JIm

CraigArizona85248

Jim,

Google "ramjet retainer".  That will find what you are looking for.

I've drilled out the friction plates in my clutch just very slightly.  I didn't remove much material at all but it made a nice difference in the clutch.  No problems with the frictions rubbing on the clutch basket dogs.

I see you've got a lot of oil contamination in there.  Is the seal in the clutch hub nut leaking?  Or maybe you just had too much oil going to the primary chain and it got everywhere.

-Craig

ohio-rider

Jim, Exactly what type of "clutch issues" where you having? Maybe just a good cleaning as you have already done will make a world of differance. Put it back together and see how it feels to ya. Then let us all know.

panheaddreamer58

Guys the main issue I had with clutch was mainly not releasing. I tried adjusting like the manual says and it was worst. Then the next time I would ride it would work  fairly good. Now remember the history on this bike that I just got last june-- mainly original, foot clutch,  and not rode much at all (19000 miles on it). In fact been setting since 1981 in controlled basement. So I thought maybe it might had been gummy from setting and it sure was. Looked like molasses in there. Now for Craig statement on the seal leak, I kinda thought the same thing but after the bike had been rode for about 2000 miles last summer, I would think there would be some 'newer' oil in there. Didn't real see any. So I got it all cleaned up now and I think I'll put it together and ride it (I never took the clutch hub off yet). Then observe what it looks like inside again. Thanks again guys for input, really injoying my first Pan!  Jim

4DWUDS

Replace the hub nut seal first just for a little piece of mind. If yours has the cork seal then upgrade to the spring & rubber type seal.
To Err is human, To Forgive Divine. Neither of which is Marine Corps Policy.

CraigArizona85248

I like the modern rubber seal too.  In fact I press two of them into the clutch hub nut.

Pzokes

I think that you should replace the bad studs.  The studs are easy and cheap to replace.  They need to be drilled slightly to remove the peened over end, on the back of the clutch hub.  Then drive them out with a pin punch.  The new studs are hardened the whole length, except for the end that you will peen.  Just set the stud with something backing the other end, and if it is a threaded stud, put a nut on it first, then peen over the new stud with a small ball peen hammer.  You should be able to replace them all in a few hours.
There's miles to go before I sleep.

MBSKEAM

fix the leakey seal at the nut, and turn down your primary chain oiler

not the best pic....

it has a lip that keeps the basket from floating in and out, when it floats a lot it lets the clutch plates rub,ie grab....
it goes in place of your stock steel keeper plate and springs it has different postitions that let you set up the endplay it is held in place with snap-rings
pull the basket in and out how much back and forth do you have?

mbskeam
http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a96/mbskeam/
You Can Have It All,MyEmpireOfDirt

fulldress79

I used one of those retainers on my Shovel,also with grooved fingers.The difference was night and day!!! I highly recommend them!!! Nice smooth action without grabbyness. well worth it!

fulldress79

Also if it sat,the lower end prob filled up with oil which eventually started coming out the breather nipple.Then once it was started it may have really puked oil till the pump picked it up and returned it to the tank.Just oily plates will cause them to stick badly.Cheapest and easiest is to clean the oil off everything and see if that clears it up.