April 28, 2024, 04:14:52 AM

News:

streetglide

Started by 90flstc, December 29, 2008, 01:14:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

90flstc

Getting close to pulling the trigger on a 2007 Streetglide..I go to the local dealer to check out a 2009 just to compare prices.. The dealer gives me my price and of course has to tell me all the benefits  of the 2009 vs all the problems with the 2007. One main concern was the transmission on the 2007.. Was told it was whiney and prone to trouble..I like all the improvements of the 2009 but the 2007 is more in line with my budget and has all the additions I would want already installed.. Anyone know the reliability of the 2007 and if they have known transmission issues?

Fxstchewy

I have a 07' FLHX and I wouldn't trade it for a 09', don't need to, the 07' runs great and I haven't had any issues. the trans makes a little whine in 5th but not enough to bother me.  :teeth:
"I'll keep my freedom, my guns and my money. You can have the change."

JimB

The only issues w/ a 07 is a whiney 5th gear ( not all do it ) and compensator chatter which can be fixed with a IDS ( Isolated Drive System) .. the IDS comes standard on the 08 & 09. The 09 does have some improvements over the 07 but it depends on what the difference is worth... if the 09 is 1500.00 more than buy the 09, if its 3000.00 more then dont. In this economy, Id shop 07s that people need to get rid of. Maybe even find one with all the goodies installed & a 103 BB kit too....Bargins are out there.

sandrooney

I have an 07 Ultra,and wouldn't trade it for an 09 either. I love it. No tranny noise here.
SR
Patience is such a waste of time .

90flstc

16,500 for the 07 with touring pack lots of chrome including front forks with 5100 mi. I got the dealer down to 19000 on the 07 stock with no extras. Not a bad price but if the 07 has a good track record and is set up to my liking I think I will get the 07..Thanks for all the opinions looks like I will be changing my screen name soon..

HV

The 07 and 09 both have the same tranny... and Ive seen no issues with either... noise yes... in 5th ... some more then others... never seen it hurt anything... the IDS on the new bikes does away with a lot of noise... and can be installed on a 07  ......but handling wise the 09 is a completely new animal and is so far from the 07 ...that its unbelievable
HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT

kingvvk

Get the 07. I am not that impressed with the 09's and the 09 tranny whines just as bad as a 07 does. The new 09 motor mounts look like they will last longer but do have more vibration.
The welding and powdercoating on the new 09 frames is very sloppy. 09's do handle very nice.

Faast Ed

December 29, 2008, 02:51:03 PM #7 Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 02:53:09 PM by Faast Ed
Only $2500 more for a virgin bike with a fatter rear tire?    I'd be leaning towards the 09.  You can add the extra's as the budget later allows.

Only $2500 more for a bike with two years less depreciation?   I'd be leaning towards the 09.  You can add the extra's as the budget later allows.

≡Faast Ed>

tdkkart

I assume the '07 is a private owner?? If so I'd squeeze them harder.
The warranty is about, or is, done on the '07, and it is 2 years old after all.

As far as new IMO, the StreetGlides, while being very nice bikes and tempting, are WAY over priced. $2500 over a standard
for what?? You can get a Classic for the same money WITH a tour pack, or a Road Glide with cruise, also for teh same money.
The StreetGlide is missing alot of pieces for the price.

The Ultra is still a deal if you have an appreciation for all it's stuff. After living with one for 6yrs or so there's alot of stuff that I
wouldn't be without on a different bike. Once you've lived with a tourpack and cruise you'll not do without.

UltraManPaul

Quote from: tdkkart on December 29, 2008, 03:53:24 PM
  I assume the '07 is a private owner?? If so I'd squeeze them harder.
The warranty is about, or is, done on the '07, and it is 2 years old after all.

As far as new IMO, the StreetGlides, while being very nice bikes and tempting, are WAY over priced. $2500 over a standard
for what?? You can get a Classic for the same money WITH a tour pack, or a Road Glide with cruise, also for teh same money.
The StreetGlide is missing alot of pieces for the price.

The Ultra is still a deal if you have an appreciation for all it's stuff. After living with one for 6yrs or so there's alot of stuff that I
wouldn't be without on a different bike. Once you've lived with a tourpack and cruise you'll not do without.

I'd have to agree. My '07 hasn't given me a lick of trouble and I really like the extra cargo capacity over the Wideglide I traded. It even has the "audible 5th gear indicator" (the MoCo threw it in for no $$$  :wink:) It doesn't have the new frame and still has the throttle cables instead of fbw but I love it anyways!

UMP
2015 FLHTK, SE Agitator AF, SE Slip-ons, Chrome front end.

fattyboy3

My 09 whined until I put bel ray in it. the exhaust on the 09 being tucked away better is a BIG plus. my .02 cents

Scramjet

$2,500 is close enough to make it a tough decision for the 09 vs 07.  There is nothing wrong with the 07's but the 09's have some nice features.  With a lot of chrome and a tour pack it get harder.  I would be asking if it has a stage 1 SE air cleaner, decent exhaust and a tuner (such as PCIII, TTS or SERT).  That would make a big difference for me.  About another $1,000 or more positive for the 07.

B
07FLHX 107", TR590, D&D, 109HP/112TQ
06FLSTN, 95", SE211, Cycle Shack 91HP/94TQ

carolinayarddog

Get the 09, even if you have to wait to get a better price.  If you need convincing, try to find a dealer that will let you take both on a real test ride, not just around the block.  I took an 09 on the interstate and the difference is remarkable, especially the ABS.

Golfman

I love my '09, but the whine in 5th gear is still there. It is because 5th gear and I think either 1st or 2nd are straight cut gears for strength. It doesn't mean the trans is faulty - all straight cut gears are going to whine. A litle Redline Heavy Shockproof syn. gear oil might minimize it as well as making it shift smoother.

04glide

For $2,500 I would be looking at the 09 real close. Im not knocking the 07 but you would be starting out with a fresh warrenty and a zero mile bike.

sfarson

Zero issues with two '07 trannies here.

Have a friend with an older FLHX.  When I asked if he was interested in the '09 FLHX with the new chassis, he mentioned he very much was interested in it until he gave it a ride.  He could tell right away it was a heavier bike and was enough for him to decide to keep his older FLHX.

txrooster

Had an 06 SG that I'll thought I'd keep for awhile. Rode an 09 and traded for it. The 09s are so much better in alot of ways. Ride the two then make your decision. It will be easier to resale the 09 if you decide to. I've got the whine in 5th gear that is barely noticable since I got rid of the HD stuff, went to Mobil 1 gear lube. This bike rides so much better, Hd got it right with the new frame. Just my .02.
FREEDOM ISN'T FREE SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

randallwhitman

I have an '07 flhx and like it a lot.  I've had about six rubber glides since '84, and this is the best yet.  Yes, the tranny and drivetrain are a bit noisy.  Have fun.  Randy
Freedom Behind Bars
103" Shovel
103" '07 FLHX

90flstc

thanks allot for all the replies..Looks like a win win either way I get a good ride...Selling my 90 FLSTC hate to see her go she has been a good one too but time to upgrade to something newer. Happy Holidays to all of you

jvcazcm

Well, I had an 07 FLHXI the 5th gear noise is very evident so what.  I traded it in on the 09 the same noise is there again so what.  The difference if you dare to try it is take both bikes up to 70 mph on the interstate and do a quick lane change and I mean a quick one.  You will see the difference, also take the bike in a long sweeper at the same speed and have the road have some dips in it and see what both bikes do in that situation.  I have owned a 00 FLHR, 05 FLHRC, 07 FLHX all road very nice.  I purchased the 09 Ultra Classic and there is now way I can ever ever advise anyone to purchase a older bike.  Truly take both out for a test ride and do the maneuvers I discussed above be careful on the 07 on the sweepers that have dips in them the bike will have a dance with you.  The 09 handles well in every situation I have been in with it.  I would never go back and for 2500 I would not do it.  You will still looser 2500 when you drive either one off the lot.

jvc

seattledyna

went for the longest ride on the new 09 RG today, 175 miles of twisty rolling hills south east of Sacramento, I now have 350 miles total on the bike, I am so amazed at how solid and true this bike handles! goes around corners with little effort and feels like its on rails, the same roads where my other bikes took some skill to carve...even the FXR, are darn near effortless with no "wobble at all, even on bumpy corners at speed!
  Like most have said, you will be spoiled for good after you ride an 09 touring HD.

Kansas

I'm kind of going through the same thing with an 06 Softy Deluxe with a 1000 miles and a savings of probably $3000 by the time it is said and done over a new one.  I have decided from experience that a bike that has been sitting for three years has older tires, gaskets, seals, and has no warranty. I also recognize that despite being a HTT guy it doesn't give me any mechanical skills beyond checking tire pressure and oil level. Plus when you are done repairing all the neglect issues you have a bike that is already three years old and worth that much less despite having paid full retail for it.  I'm buying brand new and got them to throw in the factory saddle bags worth $750.00 retail.  It's something.  I'm buying my last brand new scoot.  On a dresser my understanding is the cost of the 09' is worth the price of admission as the whole platform has been updated and improved. That will mean better resale value and more smiles for the miles.  Buy new.

Ape_do

This reminds me of when I bought my '05 FXSTBI (back in late 2005), I caught heck from all the boards, saying that it was gonna burn oil and that the heads were bad... Where it was true that some models for that year had bad valve seals, the story got blown way out of proportion. This is the best bike I've ever owned, and has never needed anything but routine maintenance. My point is that sometimes these boards tend to hold a magnifying glass up to any glitch the Moco has. Go get the model year you want. At the end of the day, you 'lays your money down and takes your chances'. :up: