April 27, 2024, 04:55:06 PM

News:

65 oil pump

Started by fourthgear, March 01, 2011, 05:34:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fourthgear

I found some time to play with the oil pump on my 65 .
Here's some back ground.
Completely rebuilt motor, stroker ,S&S with .60 over pistons, I was told make it a 86 ci., Jims hyd. lifters ,crane cam, all new bearings ,shafts ,connecting rods & rings (bores were good & re honed )

Had one problem when rebuilding , when they made room for the stroker fly wheels they cut to high & opened up the oil passage in the case to the heads & lifters.(mtr was this way when bought ,but not to my knowledge until it was opened up )

They plugged it with a threaded plug & that cut off oil supply to the tappets ,so they just used solids . I guess it worked for them ,not me .
I found it & had the case properly welded & tested the passage for flow .

Started motor & did the usual things for heat cycle & re torque . Had good normal oil pressure ,took bike for short rides & no problems .
finally took her for a 100 mile ride & no problems till I pulled into the garage ,where I lost oil pressure & I mean she was not pumping any thing , of course no scavenging.

I have another Panhead & my daily work bike an 03 Ultra , so repairing the 65 was of no real hurry , but I got the itch to work on her & check out the oil pump.

All oil pump keys were in place & no problem with drive or pinion gear.

I really don't think it is the oil pump but a collapsed feed hose ,just my guess , hope , but when checking the  oil pump out (its been chromed, ya I know, bought the bike this way ) I wanted to remove the chrome on the gasket surfaces before I assembled it & change the oil lines.
I used my marble lapping table to lap the chrome off the gasket surfaces & I could see right away the chrome is not the same thickness ,of course ,but it was a lot of lapping to get it to where I knew I would get a good gasket seal & an even one .

The cover , of course is also chrome & just putting a straight edge across it ,you can see its got a good bow to it & would have to be milled to make it right . I find that strange ,it looks so nice like new.(I will find a new one )

I did a pressure test of the oil passage in the case & it did not seem to be passing air into the crank case . Before you could hear it blowing out .

I will do further testing to make sure the weld held up . I do trust the work done ,he did welding in the same area on my other Panhead mtr.

My question is , could the chrome & warped cover have had any thing to do with my loss of oil pressure. My thinking is it all finally got heated up & I was running her real good for the first time on the highway.

I am also thinking as said ,I used a new type of hose ,which I think may have failed also. Just not sure . I know this is long ,but I had to put out what I know & have done .