April 26, 2024, 11:42:59 PM

News:

Good Riddance 2.79!

Started by autoworker, December 29, 2008, 04:34:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

autoworker

I installed Evo Indutries 49 tooth clutch sprocket on a 07 FXD a few weeks ago.The final ratio is now 2.97.
I Had the opportunity to try it out Sat.and am quite pleased with the results.I can now slow to 65mph and accelerate back up in 6th. gear without feeling like I'm lugging the engine.It also pulls through the rpms much better now.What may seem like a small change on paper has resulted in a quite satisfying real world result.

Drawbacks are.... you will lose the 6th.gear light and on 08 Touring models cruise won't work.

To install,the rivets that hold the gear to the basket are drilled out,the existing holes in the basket are redrilled a bit and countersunk with a supplied tool,and 5/16 button head screws are installed with red Loctite.

Assuming that the bolts retaining the sprocket are durable,(no reason to believe they won't be),I would recommend this gearing change to anyone with 2.79 gearing.

BTW,the 07 HD service manual for Dynas incorrectly lists the wrong ratios and the final gearing as 2.96.The owners manual does list the correct ratios.
It must be true,I read it on the internet.