April 28, 2024, 07:13:26 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Clearance lights 96 Heritage

Started by spanners, December 29, 2008, 06:12:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spanners

Anyone got a tip for how to tighten to stop them from rotating?

we call them "driving lights" down here but i think you guys call them passing or clearance lights....they are wired to light with High Beam due to ADR's (Australian Design Rules)

Once indicators are removed I can't fit a socket over as cable runs down centre of shaft. don't know if internals differed between USA bikes and those bought down to Australia??????? Figure there may be a recessed socket (special tool) Any tip on a way around would be appreciated.

See photo of OZ style FYI.

HV

You need to take a 9/16 deep socket and cut a slot down the side ..to allow the wire to stick out through it . turn the nut 1/4 to 1/2 turn at a time and it will tighten up
HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT

spanners

Quote from: HV® on December 29, 2008, 06:16:11 PM
You need to take a 9/16 deep socket and cut a slot down the side ..to allow the wire to stick out through it . turn the nut 1/4 to 1/2 turn at a time and it will tighten up

That's what I thought might be the case. Damn shame to do that to a good socket only for the very occasional use>

FSG

Quotethey are wired to light with High Beam due to ADR's (Australian Design Rules)

IDTS, you need to look (again) at the wiring diagrams.

Scotty

December 29, 2008, 06:48:12 PM #4 Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 06:49:54 PM by Scotty
Here is one I made from a deep socket I got from Cheap Auto Parts in South OZ for $5

Works a treat........

spanners

Quote from: Fatboy_SirGarfield on December 29, 2008, 06:43:19 PM
Quotethey are wired to light with High Beam due to ADR's (Australian Design Rules)

IDTS, you need to look (again) at the wiring diagrams.

Quote from: Scotty on December 29, 2008, 06:48:12 PM
Here is one I made from a deep socket I got from Cheap Auto Parts in South OZ for $5

Works a treat........

THNX Sir Garfield and Scotty - Super Cheap Auto here I come, or maybe the next trash 'n' treasure or swap meet.......Hmmmmm who do I know that's got a rusty old 9/16?? I can "Borrow" :wink:

starrider

January 01, 2009, 12:37:26 PM #6 Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 12:42:39 PM by Starrider
I bought one of those sockets from snap-on...cost 40 bucks. Wonder what they are going for now?