April 28, 2024, 09:37:55 AM

News:

Whine coming from Gear case

Started by 67HD, December 29, 2008, 07:22:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

67HD

Whine coming from gear case sounds my old Genarater Shovel .Is this normal .This is my first Evo .Have not had it long don't know what cam is in it .1988 Model .

choseneasy

No, it shouldn't whine. It could be a few things, cam/pinion gear fitment too tight or possibly a bad cam bearing. Does the sound stay the same hot and cold?

67HD

I think it goes away some as it warms up . I will pay more attention

barny7655

You have done your bearing in gear case , the primary chain has been over tightened early in its life, no fix except near bearing ,it can and does happen very early some times first service ,you adjust chain at tightest link , some how it wasnt taught in HD school lol , cheers, Barny
riding since 62, BSA bantum the first bike

harleytoprock

A slight whine is ok. It means the cam and pinion gears are fitting well. The HD service manual also states that a slight whine is normal. However, a severe whine means they are fitting too tight and could cause problems. Was the cam replaced? Possibly, the cam was replaced  with the gear that came with it and is fitting too tight. Most folks tranfer the original cam gear to the new cam for best fit. HD makes different size pinion gears to allow fitment adjustment if there is a problem. Whether the whine is slight or severe is subjective. If the gears fit too loose the gears will click and clack, sounding like a lifter noise. I prefer a slight whine.