May 10, 2024, 12:15:59 AM

News:

1966 FL

Started by dubepj, March 07, 2011, 04:18:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dubepj

I just found a 1966 FL or FLH bike that i'm going to look at tomorrow.  Guy is asking 8500.00 for it and says it needs a restoration.  I guess it run but guy says it needs a left side crank seal.  What do you folks think about the asking price.  And is it a big job to fix this seal.  Bike looks original with the saddle bags and has the buddy seat.  Also comes with manuals.
Thanks for your opinion guys.

Mule

Doesn't sound to bad of a price for a slabside shovel in original condition. If it is a worn out old shovel with most of it's original parts in restorable  condition, I would think in this economy it could go for 5-6 thousand...Mule

HotRodShovel

:agree: show him 6G start there. Think about the $$ you will have to lay out to get it good again.
best of luck bro
Sometimes life is like trying to share a sandwich with Rosie O'Donnell. 
John

Hillside Motorcycle

You can certainly come in low, but those all/near original 1966-69 FL's are pulling some good dollars.
Check Walnecks Motor News.
I've had a '67 since the early 1980's.
Scott
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

76shuvlinoff

March 08, 2011, 04:54:13 AM #4 Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 04:56:25 AM by 76shuvlinoff
 There are almost too many variables that can affect the selling price and you can't dismiss desire and personal finances. You would probably have to disassemble the bike to determine it's true oem-ness. Oem-ness?  :scratch:

If I had the cash, knew the seller or at least his reputation, I wouldn't sweat 8K for an clean straight complete 66 if it was functional. I do not see bikes as an investment and the next guy may not feel that way. Be prepared to wrench.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Lew

Quote from: 76shuvlinoff on March 08, 2011, 04:54:13 AM
There are almost too many variables that can affect the selling price and you can't dismiss desire and personal finances. You would probably have to disassemble the bike to determine it's true oem-ness. Oem-ness?  :scratch:

If I had the cash, knew the seller or at least his reputation, I wouldn't sweat 8K for an clean straight complete 66 if it was functional. I do not see bikes as an investment and the next guy may not feel that way. Be prepared to wrench.
Couldn't have said it better.   :up:

Lew
-It is now later than it has ever been before-

Old Crow

Heh, if I wasn't prepared to wrench, I damn sure wouldn't buy a Shovelhead.   Just sayin'...heck, that's half the fun for me.
This ain't Dodge City, and you ain't Bill Hickock.

Reddog74usa

There are way to many variables. If you could post a few pics after you see the bike it would help a lot. I have seen those slab sides get that and more, just depends on originality and condition.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

Hillside Motorcycle

Friend of mine drove 3 states away to pay 8500.00 for one(1968) that did not start.(carb issue)
He felt that was a good deal.
Sold it later, and now has a 1946 Indian with a sidecar.
That bike is better than new, now.
Scott
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

hbkeith

dont sound bad to me,the 66 still has panhead trimmins,all changed by 69