April 30, 2024, 03:14:32 AM

News:

1974 Voltage regulator placement.

Started by btalley, March 08, 2011, 07:49:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

btalley

Hello All,
I'm putting together a 74' stock Ironhead.  I have both a Clymer and Haynes manual.  My question is where is the voltage regulator mounted on this bike?  I'm betting it's on the back fender but wanted to make sure.  The manuals show nothing and it's not real obvious.  Also, where is the terminal block shown in the wiring diagram mounted?

Thanks for any info.

Blackcherry Low

The voltage regulator gets mouted behind the battery on a plate with two studs on it (at least that's the stock config on my 75).  When standing back and looking at the bike, it's mounted between the battery and the left rear shock absorber.

The only terminal board that is mentioned in my manual is called the "fork terminal board" so I would guess it gets mounted on one of the trees or under the headlight visor.  Somebody here must know for sure.

eglideic

This is exactly why I tell people to buy both the Genuine HD Service and Parts manuals. The parts manual would show you exactly where it goes.

Blackcherry Low

I hear ya man.  "Yeah, we don't need no stinkin manual"

olpigiron

Don't want to be the devils advocate but, "Yeah, we don't need no stinkin manual" might be "Damn I wish I could afford a Genuine HD Service Manual and Parts Manual" but I couldn't with this house payment, kids going to free skrewling, paying taxes, Etc, Etc. With this economy I was fortunate enough to buy this bike, and thought I could ask a question without being told I'm to cheap and shouldn't be aloud any help......I thought this site was to help people...... 
Cheers....
The Sun Don't Shine On The Same Dogs Ass Everyday....
OPI

Blackcherry Low

March 14, 2011, 10:32:06 AM #5 Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 10:39:48 AM by Blackcherry Low
Well I thought I was helping the guy with my first post, and I definitely couldn't disagree with eglideic's post, but neither of us mentioned cheap.  Sorry if I offended anyone, I'll keep my mouth shut.

nibroc

Well....... :scratch: i think ya did very good blk cherry :wtf: now if one would obtain the cycle elec gen w/vr attached there would be no need to worry 'bout the placement of the voltage regulator :nix:

olpigiron

Blackcherry Low.....

I'm not saying you didn't do good on your first post....It was very good and helpful....I don't recall saying your first response wasn't helpful, and i agree with you and eglideic, everyone should own a Genuine HD Service and Parts manual, However not all are fortunate to do so. And maybe it is I that should keep my fingers shut...

Sorry Out of Here.....

Cheers....
OPI

Blackcherry Low

Olpigiron, I don't take any offense to what you said.  I was actually just trying to be funny when I quoted from the movie Blazing Saddles, the "we don't need no stinkin' badges" bit.  But not everyone gets my humor all the time and I can live with that.  And there I broke my own rule of keeping my mouth shut, another problem I have.  Later!

olpigiron

Cheers....
OPI

saltcaveminer

lets just answer the questions please!look under the seat terminal strip is mounted to the frame there.Salty.