May 04, 2024, 09:34:21 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Stock cam specs

Started by DavePard, December 29, 2008, 08:25:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavePard

December 29, 2008, 08:25:06 PM Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 08:39:53 PM by DavePard
Gentlemen,

I'm soon to swap to a later model roller chain cam drive in 2004 TC88 bagger.  Having just over 40,000 miles on it I am thinking it's time.

I ride in very hot weather and have a carring 450# load often. The motor is as HD built it and unopened to this point in time.

If I'm changing cams anyway, would be a good time to fiddle with the grind a bit. Over the decades, I've had good success with and heard Crane Cams adhere well to their actual specs and good QC. Was considered their HTC3000-2. But I don't know of anyone other than Andrews who offer the different journal diameters needed for the updated camplate for my situation.

I'm not wanting to make a hot rod here. Considering the Andrews 12 or 21n grind.

I am wondering how to compare these cams with my stock cams. I've heard that the HD Factory California models are different than 49 state, for this year atleast. It's an '04 California FLHRCI. I don't find any specs in the manual.

Also, is it too silly to think that I could bump the cams a bit more radical than stock and still perhaps not have to deal with tuning. I just don't want to spend a bunch of cash and get much worse mileage because of the happenstance nature of getting it tuned right... from what I'm hearing.

Not sure how much I want to spend just yet. I have thought of new barrels, something closer to 4 inch, but I am happy with the 45+ mpg I'm getting with the stock motor and it seems to make enough heat as-is.

I suspect that I would have no choice but to get a tuner if going to 95~97 inches so most likely will not get the bored jugs.

Just had another thought. Instead of the displacement increase how about bumping the compression .5 and the cams. i'm pulling the heads and barrels to  change atleast rings and valve job anyway.

This is a bit hurried.
Thank you for your comments.

Hawg Holler

I did the roller chain conversion on my 05 Road King at about 34,000. It's a stock 88 except for the Andrews 21n cams and a K&N filter. I have 60,000 miles on it now and it's been running great (knock on wood). I didn't do any modifications. I tried a power commander for a while but mileage dropped so I went back stock and it runs better without any modification. The thing that you probably need to check are the valve guide seals, especially if you've noticed that you're using oil at greater than a quart every 5,000 miles. Mine were bad at 55,000 and under extended warranty I had new seals and valves installed. As for boring, that's up to you. The 95-inch conversion is a good one, but not necessary, especially if you're watching your dollars. The 21s will kick up your low end torque and build nicely up to 3600 rpm or so, which is cruising speed in 5th. You should be able to do the roller chain conversion and cams for less than $800 if you do it yourself.
Keep on ridin
Ridin our blues away
Hawg Holler 2005 Road King Classic

smoserx1

Do you have reason to need a ring/valve job at 40K?  I have 122K on a 99 (and know of others with even more), and my top end has not been apart yet.  IMHO, unless you have poor results on a compression/leakdown test, are burning oil, or have noticed a discernible power loss, I think this would be a waste of money, unless you just want to go big bore.  Cams are another issue though.  Stock ones tend to wear fairly fast, and at 40K you are likely due for tesioners at least.  I have heard the California stock cams have no overlap.  Andrews 12s will get you a stock (probably a 49 state) grind, and 21's would be my choice for the load you say you pull.

WVULTRA

Top end work not usually necessary at 40-50k.  The '05 Models had valve seal issues:

Valve Seal Updates
• 2005 models and early production 2006 vehicles use a one-piece valve seal and
lower spring seat design (p/n 18094-02) that can cause oil leakage between the
guide and the seal when side loaded or miss-installed. These can be identified by
the silver seal ring and black rubber material.

:wink:
'07 ULTRA, AXTELL 107"/BAISLEY SS HEADS/HPI 48/DARKHORSE CRANK/RINEHART TDs/TTS

DavePard

Thank you all for the replies. Ya all made good sense... that's what I like about this place!

I've done some searching here and am wondering where I can find a "Herkobaggers Kit". I'm assuming that it's less expensive than the dealer. I've seen the HD parts list that Andrews' has for the conversion. My local dealer wants full list for everything. They've gotten enough of me this year!

WVULTRA

Contact John (Herko-Bagger) here:

http://www.flyingwperformance.com/

The finest service you will find anywhere!  And his prices are excellent too!

:up:
'07 ULTRA, AXTELL 107"/BAISLEY SS HEADS/HPI 48/DARKHORSE CRANK/RINEHART TDs/TTS

cody

Hawg Holler,  are you running a completely stock exhaust ?

Hawg Holler

Quote from: cody on December 30, 2008, 08:19:22 PM
Hawg Holler,  are you running a completely stock exhaust ?

Yes. California version.
Keep on ridin
Ridin our blues away
Hawg Holler 2005 Road King Classic