May 01, 2024, 09:45:33 PM

News:

Primary Flange On Motor Cracked

Started by catmcaw, December 29, 2008, 11:23:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

catmcaw

I have a set of old cases that has a crack on the flange where it mates to the primary. Anyone had any luck with a fix?

gryphon

You could try one of these if yours has too much broken off for an easy fix. They've been around for a while although I've never had to use one myself 360093406937 (that's an ebay number by the way).

gryphon

Or, if you want to spend two long weeks of your life making sure everything is aligned absolutely perfectly you could run a belt drive primary.

FSG

Old Crow

Heh, thanks, guys, I never knew about that fix. 
I've been just ditching the Oring and using silicone sealant on mine.  If you get the case and the primary clean, it'll seal fine.
Still, this looks like a better way, guess I'll have to look into this the next time I tear the primary down.
This ain't Dodge City, and you ain't Bill Hickock.

monty101

I just fixed mine a few months ago. I had to pull the inner primary off. I too a hacksaw and manually cut the rest of the ring off. Then I used a air grinding wheel to get it perfectly smooth. Then I took that gasket you get from gary bang and some honda bond and started to put it on. You will find that it works best making two more gaskets from gasket material to fit into the indention in the inner primary where the lip went and then putting the gary bank gasket on top of them. Use plenty of gasket sealer. Bolt it back together and if every thing is sealed up and the gaskets fill up all the gaps left after taking the lip off it won't leak. Mine hasn't leaked a drop.

catmcaw

I read a while back that someone sent their cases out and had them welded and machined.

catmcaw

Bob
  Can you tell me more about who did the work and how it looks?

Simons_shovel

I had mine tig welded a few years ago.  The welder did it very slowly and carefuly. I didnt have to split the motor.  Took a bit of patience with a dremmel to reprofile it correctly though.

bob_e95482

A local guy did the work. He's no longer in business, AFAIK. A piece was broken out, the ring was built up with a tig weld, then machined. He also welded and retapped my timing plug hole. I had this done when my motor was apart. Just pulled my motor out yesterday, gonna have another local guy fix my Timken bearing insert on the left case, also. Wish I would have known it was loose when the other machine & welding work was being done. When this is done right, by a pro, you cannot even tell it was done.

dablaze

I had the exact same TIG welding and machining done by Barrie Welding and Machine Shop in Barrie, Ontario Canada. You could barely tell it had been done after the fact and no leaks at all...I managed to switch back to a chain drive from a belt as a result.

Craig
Second Shift Cycle

catmcaw

dablaze
  Hope you don't mind me asking but what was the cost?