May 01, 2024, 10:50:11 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

ohlins shocks for bagger anyone got em?

Started by bubbarawn, November 03, 2008, 01:50:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bubbarawn

any opinions on if there worth the coin? i have never heard a bad thing about them on any bike but want to know if its overkill on a bagger. thanks

road-dawgs1

Don't have them, but if I could afford them I probably would have a set.  Have heard nothing but good about them.
'24 FLTRX Sharkskin blue

Jeffd

I had a set of Ohlins on my BMW R1100S and they are worth the money.

PC_Hater

Ah but there are Ohlins and there are Ohlins!
Unless they have improved them recently the standard ohlins shock for baggers is a primitive 'emulsion' type. The best primitive emulsion type available of course, but still not the best shock you can get.
The Ohlins shocks you really want are the expensive gas shocks with external adjustments and external gas reservoirs.
Now, that gets in the way of the bags so you won't be fitting those - unless you can get clever and move the external parts somewhere in all that bracketry underneath the TourPack.
1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S

Vosselman

I have the S36PR1C1LB on my personal 08 Ultra.
Very nice... but a little expensive..

Netherlands / Europe

FSG

... but a little expensive..

you betcha, but they're the best

PC_Hater

Vosselman, you have to tell me more!
Does the S36PR1C1LB fit OK behind the hard bags?
Did you go for a longer than standard HD shock to get a bit more static sag to stop the suspension topping-out when riding over dips in the road?
(and yes - it does look as though Ohlins are now offering proper shocks for HDs!)
1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S

bubbarawn

I have the S36PR1C1LB on my personal 08 Ultra.
Very nice... but a little expensive..

how much were they? did they make them right to your weight? what did ya do to the forks? anything? thanks

FLTRI

It would be nice if simply replacing the rear shocks would improve the ride, however the stock setup is very well "balanced", not necessarily the best most sofisticated suspension, but works well because of the "balance".
By improving the rear without improving the front, will not normally end up with a much better handling bike due to new imbalance front-to-rear.
As always, JMHO, Bob
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

Vosselman

PC_hater
Yes they fit behind the hard bags. I used them on a 2002 and now the 2008.
On the 2002 they barely touched the bags.
They are stock height.  Just told the dutch importer what I wanted, but that's already a few years ago.

Bubbarawn
I will have to check, but that would be in euro's.
Yes, I gave them my weight. But I have no idea if they realy changed anything or just set the spring height. The spring has a clip that can be put in several positions. For easy adjustment there is the black knob that changes the spring height after the clip is set to a specific position.
The ohlins were delivered with a thin bushing as the stock mounting holes in the ohlins are a bit bigger than the ones in the HD shocks.
In the 08 I just put a heavier weight forkoil. The 02 had racetech cartridge.

Bob,
These shocks realy improved the bike.
Netherlands / Europe

bubbarawn

thanks vosselman for the input. i want to upgrade but its nice to hear opinions first.i am 300 pounds and as you can see in my avitar i definately use my suspension.lol
Bubba