May 09, 2024, 05:10:52 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Motorcycle insurance

Started by truck, March 10, 2011, 01:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

truck

March 10, 2011, 01:30:56 PM Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 01:34:32 PM by truck
The price increased $20.00 over last year, not terrible but I'm still gonna shop.
$383.00 last year and $403.00 this year, or I could go with the state minimum with a premium of $75.00. That's still full coverage, right?

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

truck

March 10, 2011, 04:14:22 PM #1 Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 06:38:30 AM by truck
I got some quotes duplicate coverages except for Geico...only $2000.00 Medical.
Progressive........$734.00
Geico................$311.00
Foremost...........$403.00

Guess where I'm going?

EDIT....changed Geico medical from $200.00 to $2000.00

rbabos

I don't know what you are bitching about. Hell I just got my invoice from Dalton Timmis (Elite) 1400 bucks. Clean record and goes up each year. Insurance changes in Canada recently gave them a licence to steal more of my money. Same bike 4 years ago was $890. It amazes me you can get 250000 liabilty. It's 1 mill around here minimum.
Lawyers start at 1 mil usually. :wink:
Ron

Coyote

Are you sure you're comparing the same coverage? Your first post has some pretty good liability limits which is a good thing (unless you don't have any assests). State minimums will not protect you in the event you hurt someone else.

I've always found insurance is like most other things, you get what you pay for.

Most are woefully under insured for liability. I choose to increase my deductible to offset a higher liability coverage.

Jam On

Keep the liability limits up to protect your self.Do you own any thing of value ?. Also you did not say how your driving record is .Is the bike old new paid for?Your past history with companys and record plays alot with the bottom line.Helps me to have all my toys and house all together .Discount.

marc

Just got my premium notice the other day and it went up $10.00... 04 GeezerGlide $484.00.

Bodily Injury Liability $100,000 - $300,000

Property Damage $50,000

Collision, Fire, Theft & Comprehensive   Actual Cash Value less $500.00

Bodily Injury, Bastards that are Uninsured/Underinsured  $100,000 - $300,000

Property Damage, Bastards that are Uninsured/Underinsured $50,000

Accessories & Custom Paint $20,000

Justpassingas

Mine is up over $800 for full coverage on an 09 SG in Mass.  and I have a clean driving record....   Commerce Ins valued the bike at $18,880 (KBB) and I argued with my agent about that showing them documentation I paid $19K two years ago......Now its a 2 year old used bike and I'd be lucky if I sold it to get $15-16K.....go figure.....
For Duty and Humanity

IndyHarley

Farmers Insurance - full coverage - 2008 Ultra Classic - $286 per year - Indianapolis, Indiana
Member since 1865
Founder of IN PGR - Legion Post #186 Commander

DARSEN

STATE FARM $1200. a year in canada and can only drive six months if luckey  :banghead:

truck

All the quotes are for the same dollar amounts of coverage except Geico's medical which is $2000.00 rather than $5000.00.
The bike is a paid for 2001 Ultra with 76,000 miles on it. I have no blemishes on my driving record newer than a speeding ticket in 1990 and my last with any insurance company was for a door ding on my car that was paid by the other guy's company in about 2005.

When you say FULL COVERAGE what dollar amounts are you working with?

Allstate wouldn't quote for just a bike, they wanted my truck too. :angry: I went to an Allstate agent a few years ago and got a price for house, bike, two trucks and maybe a car (don't remember if I had a car at that time). I was better off staying with the separate companies than bundling everything with Allstate.
I didn't try Farmers this time, I will now, I forgot about them.

ANNIEFATS

Quote from: rbabos on March 10, 2011, 05:01:35 PM
I don't know what you are bitching about. Hell I just got my invoice from Dalton Timmis (Elite) 1400 bucks. Clean record and goes up each year. Insurance changes in Canada recently gave them a licence to steal more of my money. Same bike 4 years ago was $890. It amazes me you can get 250000 liabilty. It's 1 mill around here minimum.
Ron

Similar insurance Ron.  A couple of years ago I was paying just over $800 for a 05 Fatboy with Riders Plus.  Rates started to really climb and I ended up with Dalton Timmis (elite) as well, just over $1130 now.  Seems like I get robbed every time I pay an insurance bill.
Todd
There are 10 types of people. Those who can read binary, and those who can't!

FXDBI

Quote from: ANNIEFATS on March 11, 2011, 03:52:14 PM
Quote from: rbabos on March 10, 2011, 05:01:35 PM
Ron

Similar insurance Ron.  A couple of years ago I was paying just over $800 for a 05 Fatboy with Riders Plus.  Rates started to really climb and I ended up with Dalton Timmis (elite) as well, just over $1130 now.  Seems like I get robbed every time I pay an insurance bill.
Todd

Its the collision and theft that kill ya I have a clear title to my 06 Dyna and pay $336 a year for insurance. Just over $800 total if i add  comprehensive and collision.

truck

Just got three more quotes for the same coverage amounts and the same deductibles.
Rider............$279.00
Dairyland......$509.76
Nationwide....$501.69
Rider is looking pretty good. But then I remember what a lawyer told us at a HOG meeting about getting what you pay for with insurance. Insurance is very regulated, how can they screw you?

mark61

"how can they screw you"

It is in the fine print!

Lot of people use Rider!

mark61

marc

Been using Rider since 99 and no problems...Started by a biker for bikers...Nice people to deal with...

Ken R

Thanks for reminding me . . . . . REALLY!

I sold my 02 Ultra last Sunday and forgot to stop the coverage.   :crook:

FXDBI

Western Canada here and I pay $336 a yr with 1mill liability,uninsured,underinsured,medical,death,disability,passenger coverage.  I have a clear title on the bike so I have no one forcing me to have collision or comprehensive and I don't have either.  Bike is a 06 FXDBI nothing special just mine :bike:   Bob

aquaman

Mine went up $20 so I called and they said they did a search and found another licensed driver in my household(my wife).  I explained to them that she is 4 foot nothing and not physically possible to pilot an electraglide and then they hem-hawed around and said that the "district" had been "remeasured" and they determined I was in a higher risk bracket.  I told them to "unmeasure" the "effing" district or I would take my $ elsewhere.  Still waiting to hear back. Foremost Insurance.
Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggie' until you find a rock.
Will Rogers

Hogman

Quote from: truck on March 11, 2011, 04:34:58 PM
Just got three more quotes for the same coverage amounts and the same deductibles.
Rider............$279.00
Dairyland......$509.76
Nationwide....$501.69
Rider is looking pretty good. But then I remember what a lawyer told us at a HOG meeting about getting what you pay for with insurance. Insurance is very regulated, how can they screw you?

Hey TRUCK, is Rider Strickly an American Co.? I'm in the same boat as Todd, (Anniefats) (Getting Insurance POOR by the Day!!!!) about 60 miles from him, and I'm Going to HAVE to Start Shopping around a Few Places, BUTT, at the Moment, State Farm is the Cheapest for me. Now, in May, May 8th actually, my Son, Lee, Turns 16, and will be Going Crazy Trying to get His Bike on the Road, But the problem is, as I Just found out a little bit ago is, it has an Ultima Frame, and State Farm, (Over Here in Canada) is Calling it a "Custom" and Want WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY Too much Money, She would Not even give me a "Firm" Quote, but said it will be at LEAST $3,500.00, Possibly $7,000.00 a YEAR! :cry: No Collision, Theft, etc., JUST to be able to Legally Ride it on the Road here! :dgust: Really Wish I Had the Coin to Find a Legit/Clean H-D Frame and go Back That way. Apparently, This is Why we got Such a Good Deal on it. The Prev. Owner could Not Even FIND anybody that Would Insure it!!! So, IF Rider is available here in Canada, We will BOTH (Lee & I) be Looking at them. Not to sound too Rude, but I have Never heard of them Before Now.
THANKS a Bunch in Advance for a Reply, IF you Know the answer.
Hogman

truck

Looks like Rider is only available in a few states.
http://www.rider.com/

Hogman

Quote from: truck on March 12, 2011, 05:56:55 AM
Looks like Rider is only available in a few states.
http://www.rider.com/

THANKS for The Reply TRUCK, AND the Link!!!! I E-Mailed them through it. IF I find out Any More, I Will Post it here. THANKS Again Sir!
Hogman

rbabos

Quote from: FXDBI on March 11, 2011, 09:10:03 PM
Western Canada here and I pay $336 a yr with 1mill liability,uninsured,underinsured,medical,death,disability,passenger coverage.  I have a clear title on the bike so I have no one forcing me to have collision or comprehensive and I don't have either.  Bike is a 06 FXDBI nothing special just mine :bike:   Bob
Yup. Insurance in the west has always been cheaper than Ontario. Bastards. :hyst:
Ron

FXDBI

Quote from: rbabos on March 12, 2011, 07:38:23 AM
Yup. Insurance in the west has always been cheaper than Ontario. Bastards. :hyst:
Ron

Yup and we got the cheapest gas in Canada to 109.9 a liter :potstir:

rbabos

Quote from: FXDBI on March 12, 2011, 07:45:49 AM
Quote from: rbabos on March 12, 2011, 07:38:23 AM
Ron

Yup and we got the cheapest gas in Canada to 109.9 a liter :potstir:
:banghead: :hyst:
Ron

truck

I'm going with Geico. I couldn't find a rating for Rider Insurance so I have no Idea of their financial strength. Geico is rated AA++.

Skullfork

I've been with Rider the past 8 yrs and have nothing but good to say about them. I pay $280 per yr here in Ohio on my '11 Ultra Limited with middle of the road coverage, 1k deductible. I think they only cover OH, PA, WV and MD ??

marc

They are here in NJ too...They started in NJ and are located in Springfield, NJ.

truck

I just got done buying Geico. I tried changing my deductibles from $250.00 to $500.00. That would have saved me $3.00 a year, I left them at $250.00.

apes

Regardless of cost, I never go without insurance.  Last Memorial day I bought a bike with side car in Columbus Ohio and headed back to Calif... later that night I hit a deer in Davenport Iowa........I had called my insurance co before I left and they said I was covered for 15 days off of my other bikes insurance.  I called my ins co when I got back and sure enough I was covered....( Formost) It will be over $4k in fiberglass repair ( to side car only )....phew

Ken R

There's such a disparity in insurance premiums.  I know mine is higher because I live in the DFW area.  My policy is with Progressive.  Last year I searched for cheaper, but couldn't find anything a economical as Progressive.  With their discounts for this and that (and especially because of 8 years of uninterrupted insurance with them) no one could beat their price.   I'll look again when this policy expires; but I'm expecting the same result.

Took the 02 Ultra off the policy last night after reading this forum.  Progressive is refunding a little over $100 of unused premium.  (due May 10th).   

truck

Quote from: Ken R on March 12, 2011, 07:16:55 PM
There's such a disparity in insurance premiums.  I know mine is higher because I live in the DFW area.  My policy is with Progressive.  Last year I searched for cheaper, but couldn't find anything a economical as Progressive.  With their discounts for this and that (and especially because of 8 years of uninterrupted insurance with them) no one could beat their price.   I'll look again when this policy expires; but I'm expecting the same result.

Took the 02 Ultra off the policy last night after reading this forum.  Progressive is refunding a little over $100 of unused premium.  (due May 10th).
Are you going to ride it without liability insurance?

Ken R

Quote from: truck on March 12, 2011, 07:26:39 PM
Quote from: Ken R on March 12, 2011, 07:16:55 PM

Are you going to ride it without liability insurance?

No, it sold last week.  It now resides in Abilene with it's new owner. 

76shuvlinoff

March 13, 2011, 05:05:43 AM #32 Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 05:50:32 AM by 76shuvlinoff
I live in Michigan and about a month from needing to renew. Guess I need to go shopping.

Currently Progressive

76 FLH, 09 FX, both with 100K/300K - 50K uninsured - no medical and 1K deductibles for collision and comp
96 Honda Shadow with PL/PD.

The bill is $800/year. I'm 51 with no traffic issues since I was 19. I think they ding me for my 47 year old non rider wife too.

Edit to add
Neither Rider nor Geico are available in MI, sent a quote request to Foremost.

Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Mi_RDGlide

Quote from: 76shuvlinoff on March 13, 2011, 05:05:43 AM
I live in Michigan and about a month from needing to renew. Guess I need to go shopping.

Currently Progressive

76 FLH, 09 FX, both with 100K/300K - 50K uninsured - no medical and 1K deductibles for collision and comp

The bill is $800/year. I'm 51 with no traffic issues since I was 19. I think they ding me for my 47 year old non rider wife too.

Edit to add

Try Wolverine insurance. http://wolverinemutual.com/ I have had them for the last 4 years.
They let you drop the collision in the winter. I let someone set on my bike then he dropped it, great service from them and no rate increase. The guy that dropped it did pay my deductible.

You only need to be 10% smarter than the thing your working on.

underwriter

The rates for each state are different.  Here in Georgia Progressive and GEICO have the highest rates.  Foremost and Dairyland have the best rates.  In december foremost starting credit scoring for cycles and since then they have had some very good rates.  One thing you need to look at is the coverage for any added on accessories.  Most polices cover a stock bike the way it comes from the factory with some built in coverage.  In georgia progressive gives $3,000, foremost $3,500 and dairyland $5,000 for accessories.  If you have more than these amounts you can increase it.  Gottago, the lizard, only gives $500.  I was in a progressive meeting for agents last year and a claims rep for motorcycles spoke to us.  He said the biggest complaint he has experienced is going out to look at a harley that has been totaled with $10,000 worth of added on items with only $3,000 coverage.  The rates can vary so check around.

Panzer

Does your insurance package include roadside assistance?
Means alot when the bike is down, day or night and you need help.
Just saying.
+ for Geico
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

dmrdn

I had Progressive for 5 years.  Kept going up around $20 a year.  Clean record, not tickets accidents etc.  Called and they told me because of all the claims in Kansas my rates went up.  Tired of paying for others so shopped around.  Have had AAA for cars and house for years ans did not want to change.  Went to all of the others and they were higher than Progressive.  Found Markel and did research on them.  They have a good rep and do recreational only.  Best rates by a couple of hundred and better coverage for my trailer and other accessories.

Panzer

:agree: It pays to shop around, better the $$ in your pocket then in theirs.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

chopper

Quote from: 76shuvlinoff on March 13, 2011, 05:05:43 AM

Currently Progressive

Edit to add

Did you get your Progressive through an agent or by yourself? I just renewed my 02 FXD for $292 annually. Last year I looked at insuring a Yam TW200, minimum coverage, PL/PD. I would have cost a little over 200. Primarily because of the MI. mandated MCCA insurance.

I get my Progressive through a local independent agent (same price as online) and he told me that if you ask about it,Progressive has a special rate for Harley riders, over 50, with good records.
Got a case of dynamite, I could hold out here all night

Skullfork

I know when I checked around, if you were to go through H-D insurance on H-D's website, which is actually Progressive insurance, it's a heck of a lot cheaper than if you just go though Progressive alone when comparing the rates.

truck

Quote from: Evil-Eagle on April 01, 2011, 01:13:39 PM
I know when I checked around, if you were to go through H-D insurance on H-D's website, which is actually Progressive insurance, it's a heck of a lot cheaper than if you just go though Progressive alone when comparing the rates.
When I checked Harley a couple of years ago, they told me their rate would be the same as the quote I already got from Progressive. :nix:

truck

I just switched from Progressive to Geico and it takes effect on the 8th. I emailed Progressive with my policy #, name and the date I want the coverage to stop, so all the legal stuff would be satisfied. I got a call yesterday from Progressive telling me I neglected to include my street address in the cancellation email. :dgust: I said you already know where I live so what's the big deal? She said the legal department want's the information and she would ask the the same question about why the address is needed. :nix:

dunbarton

I note that no one has mentioned insurance through the banks. Do the US banks not sell insurance?
They didn't in Ontario until @ 4-5 years ago but are certainly in that biz now, much to the dismay of the insurance companies, and now offer a full line of insurance from life to home, auto etc. Many of the insurers in Ontario won't insure a Harley so there isn't a lot of competition to create low rates.. pretty much the contrary I would guess. In fact I believe they get in line to "have their way" with you.
I am always curious when I read someone's comments like... 'no problems...". I wonder if that means they have had a claim and it was settled amicably and to their satisfaction? Or does it mean, they haven't had  to rely on their insurance coverage for a claim either by or against them and think the rate charged for their policy is OK?
To me, having low rates doesn't mean much if you have a claim and it's not handled to your satisfaction.

Pat Moweiny

Does anyone have any experience with Fischer Specialty Insurance? They gave me a quote of $420 on my 2005 custom made bike that I currently pay $888 from Foremost.

harley2k2

this is what you guys should go check out, had them for years never over 350 bucks a year.
best around.
http://markelinsuresfun.com/motorcycle-insurance

tbird

I have Dairyland here in Minn. 100/300 liability, 250 deduct comp and collison. $330 a yr for two bikes. Thats only $165 ea. I only get 6 months of riding weather. We still have snow on the ground.

Superheat9

Saved  100's on my insurance last night............... out ran the cops.

Just kidding   :bike:

Ken R

Insurance renewal is due in a few days.  I have Progressive.  The renewal fee on the bill is $619.00  (2010 Ultra Limited in Dallas, clean driving record, homeowner discount, full payment up front discount, 100/300/50, UIM=25/50, UIM Property Damage 25 w/ 250 deductible, Comp $500 deductible, Collision-$500 deductible, $3,000 accessory coverage.)

So I called Flo.   :wink:

Are there any other discounts that are not included in my policy?

Turns out, Yes!  Two more discounts.

Anti-lock brakes and HOG membership resulted in another about $60 reduction in the annual premium.  Now down to about $560. 

Ken

09RG/92spster

Here in South Carolina I just switched from Allstate to American Modern Insurance on my 2 motorcycles.  09 road glide and 92 xlh1200.  57 yrs old with clean record.  Saved myself about $200 a year.  Pay a little over $600 now for 100k/300k limits with medical and $500 deductible.