May 04, 2024, 09:10:25 PM

News:

TP Rocker Boxes

Started by Clanman, December 30, 2008, 12:20:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clanman

Hi All,

Hope you are having a good festive season.  Have a wee dram on New Year Eve.

Quick question?  Are TP Engineering Rocker Boxes for TC a good piece?  Any rainy day stories out there?  Good or bad, would like to know your thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

Clan man
Harley Davidson - Originally built by a Scotsman!

TXChop

Mine have been great so far. I have ran them for about a year now. The only gotch i found were the rocker bolts that came with the kit were too short. I am running stock bolts now. I likes the clearance they gave and look nice as well. Mine also had great rocker arm fit.

biggzed

December 30, 2008, 01:17:00 PM #2 Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 01:23:31 PM by biggzed
TXCHOP - Were the bolts that came in your kit shorter than the TP spec? I didn't do a side by side comparison with the HD bolts. I've got a set of TP boxes sitting on my bench that I am hoping to install this weekend. I've still got the stock bolts if I run into the same issue you did.

For anyone wanting to pick up a set, check eBay. There was a seller letting them go pretty cheap. NIB Around $200 IIRC. That's where I got mine.

EDIT: Just checked, there are 2 new sets and 1 used set on eBay right now. One of the new sets comes with the rocker shafts. Stock shafts will work, but you will have to use a big magnet to get them out later on. The TP shafts are drilled and tapped to accept a 1/4-20 bolt to get them out.

Zach

02FYRFTR

Use the stock bolts for the rocker supports, TP bolts too short, very likely to pull threads when torqued to low end of spec.

Jeffd

Scurvy has a set on his bike and the thing I like about them is they muffle all that top end clatter.  His bike is extremely quite as far as the top end goes.  His exhaust is another matter LOL. He did have a little contact with the tank so might want to check clearance.

Scurvy

I like mine. They were being liquidated by big dog when they switched their motors to S&S so I snagged a set as well as a set of TP roller rockers. ditto on the rocker shafts and the threaded end for getting them out. The rear rocker box cover did contact my gas tank (FXST) at the back right corner so two large washers under the rear tank bracket fixed that.
'05 FXST, '10 FLHTP, '77 FXE
Clinton, MT