May 09, 2024, 08:08:00 AM

News:

130 front wheel into '10 XL1200C

Started by DOC58, March 13, 2011, 10:15:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DOC58

March 13, 2011, 10:15:28 PM Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 10:25:37 PM by DOC58
Hi all. As you probably know, the new XL1200C comes with a wider (130 x 16") front tire now, instead of the 90 x 21". My wife has a 2010 XL1200C with the stock skinny front wheel. Previously she had a 2005 XL883C-also with the skinny front wheel. We've always thought of putting a wider front wheel in her bike, and now Harley have done just that.  :smile:  I have noticed that the forks are about 1 1/2" wider to make space. To make the change after-market, is it as simple as a new wheel & tire, a set of wider triple trees, longer axle and new fender?
I'd also like to put the stock front caliper off my '05 Fatty on it, so does anyone know if the fork sliders are the same with regard to brake mounting.
Cheers, Mike
Wollongong, Australia
There is no such thing as too much chrome!

ViennaHog

DOC58

ViennaHog

sorry if I rubbed you the wrong way. The 48 front end is exactly what you are looking for. You could buy it as an assembly and it drops right in.

DOC58

Thanks VH. Absolutely no offence taken. Did my reply indicate that? If it did, my bad. I'll be off to my local dealer & make some enquiries. The new XL1200C with the puffy front tire has been out for only a week or two in Australia, so even dealers don't know much about it. I'll speak to the spare parts guru at the dealership. He knows his stuff-but given the number of late model Softails I've helped to fix/rebuild, I probably know my way around a Harley too. He's just better at ordering stuff.
Cheers, Mike.
PS would the forks themselves need replacing?

xlfan

Would be interested in your findings  :teeth: I have been trying to find measurements for fork width and hub width for the '48', but havent come across a bike yet  :teeth:

I was kind of hoping that those measurements were identical to the other narrows.

xlfan

PC_Hater

We have had the '48' in the UK for awhile now so I can confirm having had a good look at one that EVERYTHING for the forks is wider.
So, new fork yokes (triple trees if you prefer), new mudguard (fender), new axle, probably new brake lines too but that should be easy to work around.
The aftermarket has been selling wide front end kits for Sportsters for many a long year.
Personally I would use the extra width to fit a proper 120/70x17 front wheel and tyre but there we go.
1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S

PC_Hater

More info...
The headlight is bottom mount not the usual eyebrow.
The front indicators are quite nicely done.
Held on by the single bolt that clamps the forks at the top of the triple tree. The mounting is curved to fit around the triple tree so one bolt is enough to hold it securely with no risk of rotation.
1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S