April 28, 2024, 11:06:32 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Resetting Odometer to Zero---Dealer ability only or Indy also?

Started by RKC03, December 30, 2008, 01:21:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RKC03

Since putting a tach on the softtail I am more interested in putting one on the RK also, problem is that I have the 1 1/4" bars on it and the catalog (HD) says the mount won't work with 1 1/4 bars  :emsad: . I really would rather have my tach where I don't have to look down far to see it (else it wouldn't be much use, would it  :wink: ). I know that for 5 1/2 bills (the large kind) a person can get a speedo-tach combo from the MoCo, Thus the question arises--- can the original speedo be set to zero by anyone other than a dealer---thought that if I did go that route I could sell it on e-bay or elsewhere---no use in hanging on to it--or is there? Any thoughts/suggestions on putting a tach on a RK would be appreciated.  TIA
                                                                                                                                    RKC03
RKC03

FSG

Quote--- can the original speedo be set to zero by anyone other than a dealer---

No

Faast Ed

≡Faast Ed>

Panzer

Sounds like a used car dealer.   same on you.  :hyst:
A used car dealer would never do that sota thing.........would he?  :embarrassed:
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

iiggii

I put the speedo tach combo on my road king -what they did before i got it was to put the current mileage on the combo new speedo so the mileage would be right . your old speedo dont know why you want it back at zero ? anything can be done .sell it as is or store it away ,not worth to much. also i do like the speedo tach combo.

HV

We can NOT reset a speedo to 0 ...even the test equipment from HD can only run a speedo at various pre set speeds ...these do ADD millage as we are testing ... never remove
HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT

~JC~

can the original speedo be set to zero

Anything can be done. Do you need a titile? ~JC~
If I had to understand, You wouldn't explain.

tnicean

I bought the speedo/tach combo from Zanotti's last year.  With 20% off I got it for less than $400.  I have a 2002 Heritage Softail Classic.  I really like have the tach.  I installed it myself and it works great.  I asked Zanotti's how the odometer worked and they asked me what mileage I wanted it set to.  So I gave them my current mileage when I ordered it.  Nice and no problems.  Now I can be sure I don't let the RPM drop below 2K.  I also like NOT having a tach mounted on the handlebars. 
Tnicean

Ultrashovel

I only know about the California law. In Cal. it's a felony for a dealer or an owner to reset the mileage on a motor vehicle to show fewer miles so as to make the vehicel worth more. In the good old days, dealers would get in a nice clean car with 120K miles and set it back to 50K. They could easily do that by disassembling the speedo and rolling the numbers over. Nowadays, I would think it would have to be done electronically and they won't do it anyway. There are many inspectors in the foeld looking for things like that along with faulty repair work.

On an old bike, it doesn't seem to make any difference, though. I guess no one's expecting an old bike to be correct. As I say, though, the dealers are closely checked to make sure that they don't fool with the speedos.

iiggii

JC nope dont need -do like your pic -james gang rides again Great album. iiggii

Panzer

Quote:   Anything can be done. Do you need a titile? ~JC~

:hyst:  :hyst:
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

~JC~

Excellent iiggii!!! BTW, the title thing was a joke! ~JC~
If I had to understand, You wouldn't explain.

seattledyna

what do you mean JC...the DMV thought the one I bought from you looked just fine  ;)  it was the cleanest one in the box!

04glide

I ran across a guy a few years back that wanted 7,500 miles added to his speedo. He needed it so he could bring the bike into Ca. and register it. I told him just ride the damn thing and rack up the miles.

Trolling10

Have a 03 RKC spedo/tach combo, it reset itself to 000000, don't know why????????  New the mileage and dealer sent it to mfg and had mileages reset to orig mile on it (said he could only do it with speedo/tach combo, $35 plus shipping $5).  Have a 99 RK police with tach factory mount on bars, like it also....

hdzcar

I have one of the HD tack / speedo combo's on my 02 Heritage I put on when it was less than a year old.  I purchased from one of the 20% off online sites and they set the mileage whatever I told them to at that time.
Now I have a almost new stock speedo sitting on a shelf that has about 8k miles on it.  My 6yr old Hertage with 45k miles looks like new and could pass for 8k miles easily so I guess it's all about the honor system.

harpo1313

bought my 2000 blazer with 42000 on the odometer,took it in for a tsb fix and was informed it was serviced at 125000 a year before,it was reported to better buisness and am still waiting,they took it quite seriosly buy not sure if it was a show to calm me down or not.did my own poking around abd found the screws that hold the cluster had an oddball screw in the bunch ,so beleive the cluster was replaced with a low miler wreck.i know i should of run a carfax,but it was[is] a super clean ,good runnin buggy.probly get some dough back cause im keepin it. at 175000 now accorging to orig miles. worse than pickpockets i tell ya.dont know how these people sleep with themselves

CrazyRay

Aren't there plenty of after market tachs that would work?

Dennis The Menace

Similar question, is it possible to run newer bikes with the odo disconnected?  Seems not with the ECM being tied to it, but I could be mistaken in reading that someplace.  As usual.

menace

iiggii

RKC03

I didn't think about all the things brought up....I just hate to shelve a good speedo....had a defective one replaced on the softtail, think I remember the dealer putting the miles from old one on the new one...but as far as I know it could have been done elsewhere (factory, etc.), I really would rather have a handlebar mounted tach as the KING gets "going rather fast"   :wink: rather quickly  :teeth: , I just don't feel it would be wise to look down too far, I like the one the MoCo has, but it says in the "caption" that it can't be used with FAT bars, but maybe that's where a little ingenuity comes into play  :smiled: I feel, and believe more harm can come from "lugging" the engine than rapping it out...am I right? .......TIA  RKC03  :smiled:
RKC03