May 04, 2024, 09:04:08 PM

News:

99 FLHTCU Fork seals leaking air

Started by rawshog, December 30, 2008, 01:44:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rawshog

I have a slow leak in the left fork that bleeds down the air pressure.  Does the top seal take care of this?

smoserx1

My 99 forks no longer hold air pressure either.  I don't know exactly how long they will hold pressure, but I know in a few days it is gone (used to hold air for months).  How did you determine your leak is in the left fork?  Can you hear it leaking?  The book says to remove the air lines (apparently they just push in) and cut a little bit off the ends, then reinsert them.  You would have one connection at one of the fork caps, then a crossover line to the other fork cap, and finally a connection at the valve where you add air.  If that does not fix the problem, about the only other place they could leak is the seals between the sliders and the tubes.  I used to have to change these seals all the time on Hondas I owned years ago, and one model had air forks and the seals would definitely leak air, but they were visibly leaking oil as well.  My FLHT forks have never leaked oil, but after 122K miles, the seals are bound to be shot.  If you find out anything, please post it.