April 27, 2024, 11:57:36 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

82 Shovel Hyd Lifters

Started by BikerJim44, November 03, 2008, 02:08:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BikerJim44

Hey all, Anyone know where the best price is for 82 shovelhead lifters? Thanks in advance, Spidey.
You can ride my hoss, Ride my woman but don't ever ride my bike.

Lew

There are several available. I prefer Crane or S&S lifters for replacements.  Stay away from the eastern cobbled stuff.
Lew
-It is now later than it has ever been before-

76shuvlinoff

November 03, 2008, 04:51:57 PM #2 Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 06:07:10 PM by 76shuvlinoff
 I installed Jims in my S&S mill 4 years ago, they handle the 560 cam just fine but these days I'm hearing unfavorable reports on Jims stuff too.

edit: it was 4 years ago, not 5
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

BikerJim44

Howdy Ya'll. Thanks for the come backs. Shuvl, I am not impressed with what I have been hearing about the Jim's stuff either. Their trannys and engines look pretty but I just haven't heard anough good to make me want to run out and buy any of it.
I guess I'll put the S&S in the old girl. It's for a customer and price doesn't seem to be an issue but still I like to watch out for my customers too as well as give them a good product for their money. I'll let ya'll know what I decide on doing and how they work out. I have actually not heard anything bad about the knock-offs for over the puddle and they are about half price but still kind of scary to play with that knock-off crap especially when I have to warranty the work. Later, Spidey.
You can ride my hoss, Ride my woman but don't ever ride my bike.

dave_9113

I've heard Velva Touch Hydraulic lifter kits are real nice.  No personal experience and they aren't cheap. 

wreck74

randallwhitman

I've had VelvaTouch (Comp Cams) in my 103" shovel for about 20 years.  One lifter did explode on me, but that could have been my fault.  It's possible that one of the adjustable pushrods got loose on me at 70 mph and I didn't hear the clatter until it was too late.  Fortunately, all I had to replace was the cam and the one lifter.  I think it's a quality product and I think made in the USA.  Randy
Freedom Behind Bars
103" Shovel
103" '07 FLHX

hotham

I have run Velva Touch lifters and pushrods for over 15 years.  Decent product, but they are noisy with high lift cams.  Sounds like I'm running solids.  The push rods are some of the strongest made.  Comp Cams makes them.  They bought the rights many years ago from the original inventor.

96flhpi

I've got the Velva-Touch lifter kit and a small word of warning.  Right after buying kit earlier this year I wound up speaking to Vern Ott, designer and original maker of the kit.  He said that agreement with Comp Cams ended a few years ago and the newer kits should not be selling under the Velva Touch name anymore.  Don't know why he doesn't pursue it legally - lack of funds to take on a big corp I imagine. 

More importantly he said they aren't made to his standards anymore - pushrod ends are too big for cup in lifters, according to him, at best they wear and need alot of adjustments until they settle, at worst ball end of p-rod snaps.  He made mine "right" for an additional $50. 

Could be they would have been fine anyway, but the piece of mind was worth the $$ to me.  Could also be that he left off with Comp Cams under bad circumstances (I don't know anything about the story) and is looking to badmouth them, but I think his reputation is pretty good and doubt he would be looking to take $$ dishonestly.

That being said I love the kit, but then again I've only got a mild cam.  They aren't cheap if all you need are lifters, but price is reasonable when you consider they come w/ lifters, blocks and pushrods.

Just my $.02
Vin