May 02, 2024, 06:56:14 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

STD Trans. Case

Started by hd76fxlr, December 30, 2008, 05:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hd76fxlr

How do you install the main drive race in a new STD case.This is for loose main drive gear bearings.Have new case and new Jim's bearing race.Thanks Charlie

skooter

January 01, 2009, 07:34:42 PM #1 Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 07:47:49 PM by skooter
Press it in.  heat the case to 300deg F and put the race in the freezer for a few minutes.it should drop right in without having to press it in.
Careful not to heat the case too much, or you will change the characteristics of the metal.

rkeg

Although I heated my case per the instructions in the manual, and put the new race in the freezer, I still had to press mine in (as it didn't drop right in).  If you're not careful, and don't press it in perfectly straight, it's possible to damage the case.  Trust me on that, as I did it.   :hyst:  Thankfully, it wasn't serioulsy damaged.

hd76fxlr

I heated case to 300 degrees for 1 hr.Race droped right in.What is the reason for the retaining clip on race.It has a flange that it would botton out on if the ring wasn't there.I just don't understand the reason for the retainer clip.Whats up with that?Thanks Charlie

rkeg

I believe (no expert here) the retaining clip is there to keep the race from 'potentially' falling out (while either working on case or running I guess).  The flange side should be on the outside of the case and the clip goes on the inside.  Nothing, as far as I know, should be in the way of the retaining clip.