April 27, 2024, 07:47:39 AM

News:

Jockey shift ??

Started by Panzer, December 30, 2008, 06:27:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Panzer

December 30, 2008, 06:27:11 PM Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 06:35:45 PM by Panzer
I've seen an ad in the local paper where is says: Jockey shift for a 2004-later Sporster.
Everything is chrome w/all hardware and instructions.  $400.00 OBO.
What the heck is a "jockey shift"?
I've ridden a few years, but this beats me.

Panzer
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

crazybastid83

The shifter is mounted direct, no linkage for a foot shifter, usually with a suicide clutch (foot).

JamLazyAss

"What the heck is a "jockey shift"?"

Jockey shift is shifting by Hand... with a foot clutch.
It's a gas   :up:
I'm not a proctologist, but I know an asshole when I see one...

Panzer

December 30, 2008, 06:33:00 PM #3 Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 06:40:10 PM by Panzer
Thx......got a pix of it by chance?

Had a suicide clutch on my very first bike when I was 16, a 1940 Harley.
I remember the toe heel clutch thingy well   :smilep: ............no thanks.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

MMOCGuy

Jockey shif is a term that refers to a hand shifter with a foot clutch. It is a throwback to the days when big twin motorcycles (Harley and Indians) used a foot clutch and hand shifter. The difference is that those motorcycles used what is called a rocker clutch which (Theoretically) stayed disengaged if the rider took his/her foot off the clutch. Also, the transmission shifted differently in that there was gate for the hand shifter with 1-N-2-3, R-N-1-2-3 or 1-N-2-3-4 in line from rear to front (Depending on the bike). The jocky shifter uses a foot clutch similar to a car clutch where it is either engaged or disengaged depending where you foot is. The shifting is done in the same manner as a foot shifter (Down-Up) except that the shift knob moves back - forward rather than down-up. It is not a setup that is recommended as you cannot put your left foot down at a stop if the bike is in gear and you have to take your left hand off the handlebar to shift.

Hope this answers you question.

Norm.

MMOCGuy

Sorry for the repeat. The other posts were done while I was still composing mine.

Norm.

Panzer

December 30, 2008, 06:44:00 PM #6 Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 06:46:45 PM by Panzer
Thanks MM.....I just thought it was an echo.
                 No problem.

No pics needed, I understand.

crazybastid83

Here is my tank shift with a suicide clutch. A jockey shift, on a big twin is under your leg. A jockey shift kind of resembles a jockey on a horse, whipping it with a crop.

A jockey shifter

NETacomaFatboy

I once told a buddy that one day, I would love to try riding a bike with a suicide shift.   He just chuckled and asked if I ever wondered why they call it a suicide shift.   LOL!

Kansas

A guy I know told me the story of when he was young and and still a ladies man on the prowl, he had stopped to say hello to some cuties on his pan head Harley.  Apparently while he was sitting there flirting the clutch popped into engagement and the bike lurched forward and smacked into a parked car.  He was plenty embarassed and was still talking about the incident years later.  On the plus side one of the gals is now the mother of his children.  For better or worse I guess he made an impression on her.

hdpegscraper

A buddy of mine was buildin hot rod Buells when he busted up his left foot. So, he mounted a pivot assembly at the upper motor mount, attached a long lever to that, made a link to connect the new lever to the old shift lever minus the peg. Then attached the clutch control assembly on top of the lever.   Hand shift, hand clutch. That bike was a trip to ride, especially making a turn from a dead stop. However, I dont believe this would be considered a jockey shift.

BKACHE

Don't lean left at a stop light!

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]
Dan

Panzer

December 31, 2008, 07:32:51 AM #12 Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 07:34:24 AM by Panzer
I remember the foot clutch well.......experience......ahhhhhh.
I road one for two years, what a trip.
If the spring on the foot pedal was weak, the vibration from the flat head would make the toe go down unexpectedly.
If you were in first gear at idle with both feet down, you were in for (sometimes) a surprise.  :crook:   What a ride !!
             Thanks all, now I know the terminology of............"jockey shift"

Happy New Year all !
Panzer

Deye76

Quote from: Panzer on December 31, 2008, 07:32:51 AM
I remember the foot clutch well.......experience......ahhhhhh.
I road one for two years, what a trip.
If the spring on the foot pedal was weak, the vibration from the flat head would make the toe go down unexpectedly.
If you were in first gear at idle with both feet down, you were in for (sometimes) a surprise.  :crook:   What a ride !!
             Thanks all, now I know the terminology of............"jockey shift"

Happy New Year all !
Panzer

Panzer, if the foot clutch (heel/toe) had a spring then it was not a suicide clutch, it was a rocker clutch. With a rocker clutch (if the spring held) you can put your feet down, in gear. With a suicide, you better be in neutral when you put your foot down. :wink: 
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

76shuvlinoff

December 31, 2008, 10:04:20 AM #14 Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 10:06:28 AM by 76shuvlinoff
 Lots of cool as hell jockey stuff here if you dig around a bit. Click "The Board" and check out the stickys for the photo pages.

http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Panzer

Thanks DEYE.......I'm getting smarter all the time.
Now where did I put my dunce hat?

Buckwheat

Pan, you left it on the stool in the corner..

Deye76

Quote from: Panzer on December 31, 2008, 11:45:05 AM
Thanks DEYE.......I'm getting smarter all the time.
Now where did I put my dunce hat?

It's New Years Eve, you get a pass bro. Have fun , stay safe. :up:
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP