How Many Miles, do you have on your Top End ????

Started by DarrellV, November 03, 2008, 02:32:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarrellV

I have an 02 TC {carb.} that's stock with a set of 26G Andrew Cams. I have almost 100,000 miles on her now. And I change my plugs every 10,000 miles but they always look good oil wise. I rode to Las Vegas from Ohio last month and along the way I added some oil to the motor. First time I ever really did this between oil changes. I change my motor oil every 2500 miles so I never was really worried about it before. This trip was 4500+ miles for me pulling trailer and two-up riding as well. I'm wondering if a qt. of oil is normal for the most part.

I know everyone has up-graded to 95". And I'm looking forward to it myself other than the money part. But I'm wondering how many guys do this Top End job, becasue they want to, or because they needed to?

fltharleyman

4500 miles pulling a trailer, the oil usage is expected. Nothing to worrry about.
I changed my 99 electraglide to a 95CI at 45000 miles, only because I wanted to.  I was told the cam chaine tensioner was well worn at that time.  I now have 80,000 miles on it, and it is running perfectly.  2 weeks ago I pulled the cam chest to view the tensioner, and it has no wear to date.

Baghr

November 03, 2008, 03:28:17 PM #2 Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 02:35:27 PM by Baghr
I think that is very reasonable looking at the mileage on the motor.  I have an 02 FLHRI with 60K on the mill and am not using any oil yet.....I replaced the stock cams, tensioners, lifters and pushrods at 30k due to the tensioners being worn out.  I'm looking at doing a rebuild next winter-not really a need, but I am hearing some noise from the top end that is slowly getting louder each season.  I will be doing an inspection this winter (nothing much else to do in the snow belt during the winter) to see what it looks like, but no oil burning between changes (2500 mi).

I think you should be happy with that kind oil consumption taking into effect the high mileage motor and and loading.  I would think it is deserving of a overhaul one of these days. 

Hawg Holler

Valve seals and guides were shot on my 05 at 56,000 miles. I was using about 2 quarts every 5,000 miles. I think the early 05s had a spate of bad oil seals. Put in new valves, seals, guides. There was a small oil weep at the bottom of the front cylinder so jugs were pulled and new gaskets and rings installed. All was done under my extended warranty but it took two weeks.
Keep on ridin
Ridin our blues away
Hawg Holler 2005 Road King Classic

HDDOC

One thing you may want to look into is the breathers, on the 02 they were plastic and have been known to fail. Update to the metal breathers Part#17650-02 if you have not already. All else seems normal for that trip you took.  Doc
2019 Tri Glide

donutsrd

2001 fltri,at50k went gear dr cams andrews37g cams,tensioners went.at 70k(last week)did 95" kit,heads,lifters dyno,just cause i felt she was gettin a little tired,not out of necessity
2001 fltri 95" 37ggear drive pc3usb recored full sac muff rosas power port head

HDSlowride

I built my top end on my '02 at 59,000 miles just for giggles and to do a 95". It still had very good cross-hatching in the jugs, used no oil between 5,000 miles changes on Mobil1 15W-50.
'07 Ultra Classic

CndUltra88

Darrell, I think you have your answer already but will add my own .02.
Back in the mid 80's  I had a GPZ550 that was a sweet red rocket.  Never burned any oil around town between changes or on trips to Whistler BC ( twisties  back then ) but on a ride down to SIR ( Seattle International Raceway ) for the 64 Funny Car weekend I had to add a quart down and a quart back, guess it was the 85 MPH down the I-5 caused it to burn some or blow by. When I got back ,  I called the shop and they said it was likely the consistant speed at which  I was running  or something along those lines, after all it was 1984/5 and I had maybe 30 thousand onthe bike and sld it after another 30k on the clock. Never had the top off her .
Sounds like normal wear and tear on your severe duty ride.
Rob
Infantryman Terry Street
End of Tour April,4,2008 Panjwayi district Afghanistan