April 28, 2024, 10:36:42 AM

News:

Any reason why I can"t......

Started by Gonzo, December 30, 2008, 07:52:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gonzo

Any reason why I cant mount a K&N breather filter up near the heads/exhaust. Is there a material in there that will catch fire or be damaged by the heat?
Reason I'm asking is, I wanted to mount the filter in a higher place up above the level of where the hose comes out of the cases at. I'm getting quite a bit of oil blow-by, fouling up my filter too quickly. I remember someone on this board ( I think it was Samual, or JohnS) that said if the filter is too low, the oil will seep down, but if you can mount it up higher gravity will do its thing and keep most of it away from the filter. That was why Harley ran it up to the air filter. So now the only other way to mount this thing is to mount the bracket off of the front bracket of the oil bag. But it ends up pretty close to both the rear head and the exhaust.  Not much room to move it around much. Just wondering if this was a viable alternative to mounting it to the tranny case just inside the lower right frame rail, which is where it HAS been. TIA Guys

calif phil

Check out Kury Akyn's part number 9918  That might help. It drains back into the engine.

xxxflhrci

If you mount the hose up high, won't oil just fill the line and eventually block it?

scoopfraser

What bike is this on?  If it were me, I'd look at addressing *why* there is excessive blow-by.

Sean
---- 
2000 FXD
Edmonton, Alberta

CrazyRay

Quote from: xxxflhrci on December 31, 2008, 08:59:15 AM
If you mount the hose up high, won't oil just fill the line and eventually block it?

Yes it will. The original stage one filter kit had the chrome "horseshoe" on top. The side on the front cylinder went up, then over and down the tube. Seen more than one that was clogged up and all nasty when cleaning it out.

JimB

Gonzo

I wouldnt mount it that close to heat... No matter where you mount it, the air does have oil in it... & eventually the oil will find its way to the heat source....Oil + Heat = potential fire or at least stink alot

fxstdavew

Just route it to under the bike without any filter. If the carry over is more than normal fix that issue.
Most bike problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebar to the seat