April 27, 2024, 08:56:41 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Early vs late Cam Covers

Started by IronButt62, December 31, 2008, 03:35:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IronButt62

I have a 1987 Heritage and am thinking about a cam swap. Current cover is pretty ragged out and I found a good deal locally on new cover but am not sure what year it is.

Wondering how to tell if it is early or late style and whether it even matters. Will a head breather cam cover work on a case breather engine?

Thanks,

Deet

jsachs1

A head breather cam cover WON'T work on a case breather motor,unless you block off the case breather,and breath it out of the heads.
A case breather cam cover has a section in the lower left corner that seals off that area from the main part of the cover.
John  :wink:

stroker800

If it is a genuine HD part ...there is a casting # inside the cover...the year will be the last digits ...the difference I believe is that one is an end oiler and the other is a side oiler ...70-73 were side oiling ,,late 73-92 are end oiling ,,,92-99 are for head breathers,,,,,I believe they have a different oil galleys,,,I do not know of a mod ...sorry not much help.
Dave

IronButt62

Thanks for the response.

Have a great New Year.

Deet