May 06, 2024, 06:27:35 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Tour Pak Quick Release-Happy?

Started by Flat Dog, November 03, 2008, 02:35:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flat Dog

For those who have converted their tour pak to the quick release deal, are you happy with your choice? I like the way my Ultra looks better without the high chair and pizza box, but now the stock seat seems waaaay too fat. Anyone else noticed this?

Sportsterboy

Got the detachable King TourPak on my Road King Standard.  Yes, it is nice to change it up in just a few minutes.  The seat does look a little "large" without it.  I have a Mustang solo/pillion (large one) combination.  But, I have a detachable backrest and luggage rack to give it another look if I want, or take the pillion off and just run the solo.   Nothing like a little variety......

ou812

You said Ultra, right?  What did you use for the wiring and antenna disconnect? 

Flat Dog

I just tuck the wiring under the seat/side covers because I am lazy.

I'll eventually pick up 2 male/female BNC connectors for the FM/CB connections, and make the rear speaker/lighting disconnects myself.

My bike is my only transportation, so the pizza box will probably stay on most of the time.

Skullfork

I think it's great and I got the antenna relocation kit which makes it quick and simple to switch it back and forth. The only problem I've had with it so far are the black vinyl attachment points. They wear out quickly and the Tour-Pak starts to rattle back and forth from the slop. I've rotated them a quarter turn twice now and will eventually have to replace them.

lonegoosehonking

I like it with the exception that sooner or later they all start to make noise and rattle a bit!

mtnmotorrider

November 05, 2008, 07:18:19 AM #6 Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 08:25:55 AM by mtnmotorrider
Once you get the position for the quick releases right, the detachable tour pac is a breeze.  Personally, I hate the look of a trunk on a motorcycle, especially the FLTR, so mine is off as much as possible even for short 2 or 3 day trips.  For a really good looking seat, try the HD low profile touring model.  I bought one off e-Bay for half the original price and, believe it or not, It has proven to be the most comforatable long distence seat I have had (incliding a Corbin).  Even at it's retail price of around $280, it's well worth it. 
I like most dogs better than most people.

ultraclassicdave97

I second everything mtnmotorrider said!! Love the HD low profile seat too.

ViseGrips

...as stated above by Lonegoosehonking you could possibly have some rattling issues later on and I've seen a few that did rattle with the H-D ''plastic type'' mounting tab..They can at times get little indentation marks on them which causes a loose fit/thus a rattle..There is however an aftermarket Co. that sells a metal type replacement tab/ mount. It was discussed a while back in a topic on the old HTT digs with a link to this Co... Sorry I can't remember and didn't save the link to the Co....Maybe someone else can chime in to help other members here with their solution or a Co. link to a better than H-D ''plastic type'' mounting tab....I do know for a fact that a little rubberized 3M tape is only a quick fix solution though.

rmang

I love it on my 05 eglide classic.
It totally changes the look with it off.  I can have mine on or off in less than 5 minutes.
I use a tune trapper in my fairing for the antenna.
I doses rattle a very little, no big deal.  It has been on for 45000 miles.

Ratfade

The stock seat can look a little fat without the tour pak. But you can improve the looks with a passenger backrest (which I happen to have for sale in the classifieds). ;)

Tex_Bagger

I loved it on my classic.  It was like having 2 bikes.  Take it off and shilly down with another low seat.  Changed the look of the bike radically. I liked the look so much I went out and got a new street glide last year, now I miss the tour pak on trips! Go figure!
2016 CVO Street Glide (Black)D&D fatcat
2020 FLRT Freewheeler Trike Bone Stock

Arrowsmit

These are much better'n the junk plastic bushings:

Here's pricing & contact info:

http://my.att.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&ext=1&groupid=372193&ck="><br%20/>GILBOSBILLETHAWGSOLUTIONS

VicW.

Mike52

Quote from: Arrowsmit on November 05, 2008, 03:54:03 PM
These are much better'n the junk plastic bushings:

Here's pricing & contact info:

http://my.att.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&ext=1&groupid=372193&ck="><br%20/>GILBOSBILLETHAWGSOLUTIONS

VicW.

Nice looking, but, if there is a loose fit or once they wear a little, the metal to metal contact will make the rattle seem much worse. HD used plastic for that reason.

Mike
Mike52   Tampa Bay,FL
www.harleytechtalk.net

Arrowsmit

That's what I wondered about too Mike, but after going thru a couple sets of HD ones over the years I installed these about 10K ago & so far no problems at all. None. Zilch. Nada. And I take the TP on/off a lot. Many others have had similar results & the price isn't far from OEM.

VicW.

Flat Dog

Thanks everyone! Been shopping for a low profile seat-off to see if the local dealer will match a couple Ebay prices.

Flat Dog

BTW-did you use the forward most mounting holes in the tour pak and on the QR bracket? I did, and it seems to be a tight fit for a passenger.

landbarge

Have been using quick release tp for a few years now and have been happy.. A good option for a better looking seat, try a stock road glide  seat .  you can find them on e bay or craigs list for around 75-100 bucks. It looks alot better than stock eg seat and also slides the rider back a little, giving them a bit more leg room.. landbarge