May 04, 2024, 03:44:26 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

CVO springer maintenance

Started by jjor01, December 31, 2008, 03:41:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjor01

I would like to know what maintenance is required for the springer front end.

cyrus

Disasemble, clean and adjust the rocker spherical bearings(the ones with the big skinny lock nut). Clean all spherical (hiem) type bearings.
Inspect all axle spacers, two of them on either side of the brake arm are teflon backed.
Lube front caliper brake sliders - mine has single piston caliper.
Adjust steering head bearing preload (fallaway) and grease it- lots
It will handle like a dream after.
Cyrus in Halifax, NS

Mike52

Quote from: cyrus on December 31, 2008, 05:42:43 AM
Disasemble, clean and adjust the rocker spherical bearings(the ones with the big skinny lock nut). Clean all spherical (hiem) type bearings.
Inspect all axle spacers, two of them on either side of the brake arm are teflon backed.
Lube front caliper brake sliders - mine has single piston caliper.
Adjust steering head bearing preload (fallaway) and grease it- lots
It will handle like a dream after.

Having owned a Springer for many years, I will disagree with this to a point. Cyrus' suggestion might come into play after many, many miles or years but is not the required normal routine maintenance for a Springer front end. In the 8 years that I owned mine, the routine maintenance consisted of greasing the neck bearings every time I changed the oil & filter and checking the front end for any usual slop, I also used the HD recommended 'Special' grease in the neck bearings. Each time I had the front tire/wheel off for various reasons, I would inspect the rockers & bearings, teflon coated washers, etc. I never had to adjust the rocker bearings, but I did replace the teflon washers once when I upgraded to a different tire/wheel combo and a 4-piston caliper. After over 8 years and over 40,000 mile, this bike still had the original neck bearings and rocker bearings.

Mike
Mike52   Tampa Bay,FL
www.harleytechtalk.net