April 27, 2024, 03:52:53 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Shovel running temps & RPM

Started by HotRodShovel, March 22, 2011, 10:18:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HotRodShovel

This may qualify for the years most idiotic question given all the talk about oil viscosity, breakdown, high engine temps etc, however is there an optimum operating temp?

I ran the bike today for the first time on the highway and ran thru the gears keeping it under 3000 rpm and 80 mph. After about 10 miles I got off to turn around and checked my oil temp with the dipstick ( I know, not reliable) and it was a cool 100 degrees. I did not realize my oil cooler was on.

I turned it off and came back, same travel time and distance it read 180 degrees. Now I think that is normal temp for a warmed up Shovel. 

What would be the limits, both too hot and too cold.

To add a second question, ever since I put  the 6 in 4 trans my gearing is obviously affecting my RPM and MPH ratio.  What RPM is the Shovel most comfortable running at?

What sparked this thinking is that I noticed that I have a mouse squeaking at higher RPM and MPH. Don't know if its the speedo drive or the cable or what at this point but it increases and decreases with speed but only in 6th gear. It could be anything, you know how impossible it is to try to locate a noise at highway speeds but it just got me on a particular train of thought.  Could I be lugging at 3000 RPM ?  I know, I'm thinking too much.

Sometimes life is like trying to share a sandwich with Rosie O'Donnell. 
John

gryphon

Don't know if this is the cause of your noise but it seems like all OD tranny's make noise. Usually in 6th gear but not necessarily only in 6th. I had one that made a noise that sounded like a dry primary chain and I really grew to hate it. In 6th gear, 3000 rpm is not lugging but I think you'll find as soon as you start up any kind of long grade your rpm will start to drop off dramaticly and the bike will feel like it has no power. Fifth gear will be the same as your old fourth and fourth will be almost identical to your old third. As far as the temps go, at least on my bike 180 to 190 seems to be the norm once it's warmed up and cruising (measured at the oil tank).

76shuvlinoff

Since I installed this dual plugged mill in 04 my tank temp has never been over 180. This concerned me so I boiled the dipstick and it's within 5 degrees at boiling. This is in Michigan and early in the season I usually have the cooler covered. She oils the top through the pushrods.  The plugs show I run it slightly toward the rich end.

Compared to this one the tired oem mill ran hotter (210 -220 plus) I think due to inefficiency thoughout including the oil pump???

Dual plugged 93"er, 5/4 tranny with 24/23/46 sprockets, CV40 carb.

Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway