May 04, 2024, 02:27:22 PM

News:

09 Ultra & 6th grear

Started by deltafarmer, December 31, 2008, 08:10:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deltafarmer

Just purchased 09 Ultra about one month ago, dealership said never pull into 6th untill 70mph.  This is my first 6 speed ,so  how about some input from you guys with experience.  The bike has stage one  download,K&N filter, and stock pipes. Thanks.

coolingfin

Lugging does create a lot of unnecessary stress... I wouldn't run my 07 Superglide in 6th below 70mph... but aren't the 09s geared a little lower (higher numerically).

08blackstreetglide

I have an 08 Street Glide. I rarely ever get into 6th gear before 70- 75 m.p.h.  I'm like you, I would also be interested in what other people think.

IBARider

I say 80 minimum.  It just feels like it's working too hard (lugging) any lower than that.  Especially if it's windy or any kind of grade.  But that's just me. 
It slid 112 feet and I had no road rash

Faast Ed

I'll jump into 6th at 60-65, if I'm not pulling a hill.  Won't do it if it feels under load at all.
If I'm winding up pretty fast I won't see 6th until 75-80, but flat road cruising feels fine over 60 in 6th. (08 Heritage)

Perhaps a stock cam would feel more like it's working hard in my ranges?
≡Faast Ed>

Rugby_fxdwg

I wouldnt put my EVO in fifth till 65mph...My 1999 Ultra 6speed, I wont put it in 6th till at least 70. You have highway gearing and wouldnt put it in 6th till 75MPH. I have rented more the a couple 09 Ultra's.... :duel:
1996 80" Wide Glide 10.5-1 85HP/85Ft; 1999 Ultra 95" 6speed; 1989 FXRS

autoworker

The dealer is giving you good advice.Enjoy your new bike! :up:
It must be true,I read it on the internet.

Faast Ed

Eventually you'll get a feel for it. You can tell if you are lugging it, easy enough to downshift.
≡Faast Ed>

66SHOVELHD

To me I kinda feel the 6th gear is a waste. Have they got over that nice 5th gear whine yet.  My buddy and his friend both on '07 ultra's did 900 miles riding 70 the whole way, one was in 5th the other 6th. 5th got 30 or so miles more to a tank. In my eyes I wouldnt shift in 6th till 90 plus. Who wants to lugg their junk? 5 gears are plenty unless you wanna go over 120.
FLTRI 117"

TOMCENTRAL

My 09 with Hi Flow Air Cleaner & Supertrapp 2 into1 does real well shifting into 6th gear at 60 mph on the flat.I forget what the owners manual says,but I don't lug or dump the throttle at that speed.Regards,Tom

deltafarmer

Thanks guys, it looks like 70 is the magic number.

Faast Ed

January 01, 2009, 08:20:32 AM #11 Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 08:22:47 AM by Faast Ed
QuoteTo me I kinda feel the 6th gear is a waste. Have they got over that nice 5th gear whine yet.  My buddy and his friend both on '07 ultra's did 900 miles riding 70 the whole way, one was in 5th the other 6th. 5th got 30 or so miles more to a tank. In my eyes I wouldnt shift in 6th till 90 plus. Who wants to lugg their junk? 5 gears are plenty unless you wanna go over 120.

The wording in your post implies that you personally do not have a 6 speed.  To call it a waste without owning one is kind of unfair.

While I didn't expect to like a 6 speed, owning a bike with 6 speed has changed my mind. I could not go back to a 5 speed after spending time with the 6.

P.S.   My 08 never had the "whine" as many don't.
≡Faast Ed>

Don D

I got unlucky and my 5th gear light is the noise I hear on the 07 SG. On a bagger (2.79/1 final drive ratio is mine, slightly improved for 09) especially a stocker getting out of the hole with the very tall 1st is anoying and then 6th is rarely used. All gets better with just a front pulley (not primary sprocket) change to 30T. The 09 has a 68T rear pulley which is a slight improvement. If the trans pulley is changed the speedo needs to be recalibrated, likely can be done by dealer with digital tech or with TTS or SEST software.

KGaudineer

I never pull my '09 Ultra into 6th gear unless I'm using a major highway or interstate and going almost 70, and I plan to cruise for the next couple of hours.  I tried using 6th once when using the back (2 lane) highways moving between 60 and 65.  The bike really has no throttle response in 6th gear going that slow and passing is difficult.  Additionally going up hill in 6th at 65 the bike sounds like it is working too hard.  The end result is that you find yourself downshifting a lot back into 5th gear so you might as well leave it there. 

Faast Ed

QuoteThe end result is that you find yourself downshifting a lot back into 5th gear so you might as well leave it there. 

That or drive faster.  (LOL)  I can't stay at 60-65 very long myself, and would likely stay in 5th if I was in a group that stayed in that range.
≡Faast Ed>

harleyjt

My 08 Ultra has some noise in 5th - not terribly bad, but its there and noticable.  My buddy's identical 08 is quiet in all gears.  I shift to 6th at about 65mph - not less.  I don't even try to use it unless I'm on the highway.  The IDS on the 08s and 09s makes a LOT of difference in comparison to the 07s.  I didn't buy an 07 because of all the chatter the ones that I test rode had.  When I first test rode an 08, it was a completely different bike.  I wish mine was as quiet as my friend's, but it is what it is.
jt
2017 Ultra Classic - Mysterious Red/Velocity Red

HarleyFranco

I have an 08 Ultra and I use 6th gear all the time on the freeway at 65 with the cruise on.  Even when it's going up hill the cruise will speed the engine up to what it needs and it never sounds like it is lugging.  Throttle response at that speed is sluggish but if your just cruising it's ok.  If I need to pass I'll kick it down a gear or two and go.

Frank

willymax4

08 ultra, no sixth gear below 2800 rpm. downshift to pass or pull a hill.
RIDE LIKE HELL AND YOU'LL PROBABLY WIND UP THERE

66SHOVELHD

Faast Ed

I do not own a 6speed but at work I get to ride and dyno tune them all the time. Its really a 6 of one half a dozen of  the other kinda topic. My style of riding has no place for a 6th gear, very rare for me to be over 110. Worst thing you can do to a engine is lug it.  Ride 70 for 200 miles in 5th, then do it in 6th and check the gas millage.  more gas= more strain on motor.
FLTRI 117"