April 27, 2024, 09:30:56 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Fresh from the rumor mill

Started by stroker800, December 31, 2008, 08:27:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stroker800

I have heard talk at local dealer that a Asian company has talked with HD bout manufacturing there entire bike for them and shipping over,,,,,like I said rumor...thats a scarey thought for some,,,but I will never purchase from a new bike or even a used bike from the dealership..Again lets face it ,,we have been running Showa front ends on are bikes for how many years now?
Dave

xxxflhrci

That doesn't even sound like a believeable rumor.

stu058

GUYS.....CK OUT THIS ROMUR.... HONDA TRYING TO AQUIRE HD. GOOGLE SEARCH IT. SOME SAY 45 DEGREE PUSHROD AIRCOOLED ENGINE CAN'T MEET EMISSION SOOOO HD WILL HAVE HONDA PUT LIQUID COOLED O/H CAM ENGINE IN PLACE. JUST MAKE MY RIDE MORE VALUABLE
mike

help-u2

not that unbelivable....
seen the huge new ford plant in brazil?
besides if japan made them quality might go up...
china now, a WAY different story...
i am done buying new bikes anyway.  if the 3 i have break i will fix them...
hopefully not with china parts like the dealer sells me now...

IBARider

heck,  I thought that was the case already!  That they just assembled the POS in U.S.
It slid 112 feet and I had no road rash

GaryD

They're building Harleys in Brazil now and have for some time.  I just read in a bike magazine that they've just shipped their 10,000 bike.
AMA Life Mbr.
USMC VietNam 66-67 3rd Tnk. Bat

fasthog62

egstandard

I agree with post 4. I have my last new harley and have been stockpiling parts for some time now.

Ultrashovel

The sky is fallnig. the sky is falling. Help us!

Whoever is spreading that rumor believes that the Harley management is completely stupid. That would drive away 75% of their business.

Someone has too much tiime on his or her hands.  :pop:

uglide

I don't know about the Honda making the engines thing but, I do believe that the V-Rod engine is going to be the main engine in all Harley models except the Sportster in the near future.  Nothing to base this on, just my HO.

oldmansbike

I just read on the Forbes website that there is a rumor of Honda aquiring Harley
RIDE TO EAT AND EAT TO RIDE

HroadhogD1

Yep, thats true it will be Honda-Davidson :potstir:

1JITSU1

The 88 is ten years old now its time for A new engine
"I dont think water cool because Harley has that millon doller sound room"
But honda has to own 51% to make any decision  :duel:

Dennis The Menace

Yeah, right.  Winter is tough on you guys, aint it?

Just rode 100 miles in Colorado sunshine and 60 degree temps....love winter here in Denver.  So, I have a different perspective on this thread. lol

menace

CraigArizona85248

Quote from: oldmansbike on December 31, 2008, 02:31:27 PM
I just read on the Forbes website that there is a rumor of Honda aquiring Harley

LOL... check the date on the Forbes article... June 22, 2007.  Not really very relevant 18 months later.

Here is the link:  http://www.forbes.com/markets/2007/06/22/harley-davidson-honda-markets-equity-cx_er_0622markets19.html

China twin 88

HD inked a deal back in 04 with Zongshen's motorycle group to aid in the market penetration of China, and agreed to share non competition tech knowledge.  The EO of HD even made a trip to Chanqing to seal the deal..and with the tariffs imposed on the V twins, in-country construction may reduce the cost so that more people in China could afford them even though HD released a press notice that stated ..(at that time) they didn't think they would need to produce the motorcycle in China. 

The truth of the matter is that HD of China likely makes more money off of accessories than the selling of bikes...as the cost is almost doubled and the importation of models limited.  HD of Shanghai cannot get tags for the bikes ( Shanghai is very and I mean very restrictive to bikes) so they send them to Beijing to be tagged. 

LMMC/LAMF

HDRDR

I don't know what to believe about anything anymore, from politics or the BS I here from co workers on a day to day basis!
Oh I forgot to mention the NEWS media, seems like anything we hear now day's is half BS and it's real hard to find the truth, unless you spend hours searching.

I am close to giving up on anything I hear from anyone! I do better that way :smile:

someday69

If I ever get another bike its going to be an 02roadglide....and by time I can afford to swing that,,,I'll be able to get the aftermarket A.I. for the ecm....someday..

Princess Butt

Cabin fever has really set in with some of ya'll.

First, HD has been assembling bikes in Brazil for years. The same reason Studebaker, Ford, GM, VW, and everyone else has been do this. If a vehicle is assembled in Brazil, it sneaks past the tarriffs. If it's brought in as a complete vehicle, then it's taxed out of the market.

The way it works, from my understanding, is that HD ships pallets of sub-assemblies to Brazil, where final assembly is completed. All the bits are made in the same place as US models (except for maybe a few things which are specific to the Brazilian market).

They might do the same thing in China, but right now, China is so restrictive on motorcycles in their cities, there may not be enough of a market for HD to participate.

I wouldn't believe too much you read in the media, anyway. I've seen some of the stuff the most reputable newspapers in the country publish, and when you've seen the real truth, it's scary.

BnEUC
Shiny side up, rubber side down.

RK101

The only thing I've heard is that the HARLEY-DAVIDSON, INC. PRESIDENT and CEO JAMES L. ZIEMER TO RETIRE IN 2009
Do not take life too seriously.  You will never get out of it alive.  ~Elbert H