April 27, 2024, 08:36:48 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Clutch Nut

Started by 60pan, December 31, 2008, 09:10:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

60pan

Hey guys,

I'm trying to remove the primary from my 49 and I can not get the clutch nut off. I've tried a breaker bar with a pipe on it and a 400 ft/lb air wrench. I pried back the lockwasher and I know it's a left hand thread. It has a belt drive. Thats how it was when I bought it and this is the first time I've tried to take it apart.  Anyone ever run into this before (I'm sure someone has)? Any suggestions? How should I proceed if it just won't come off? Thanks.

Little Al

I'm sure some will disagree with me but heat and impact wrench should do it.

Stuck fasteners are always a scary thing for me on my old bikes, always damn sure I'm gonna break something before I get it loose but heat (minimum needed to get it done) and impact (from an air gun, hand impact driver, sometimes just a hammer) has yet to fail me as long as I don't get impatient, lol. 
Little Al

MBSKEAM

use a propane torch on the nut it will bust the locktight loose. and the impact will do the rest

mbskeam
http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a96/mbskeam/
You Can Have It All,MyEmpireOfDirt

60pan

Forgot to mention that I tried heatin it.  Tried again and it won't budge. Guess I'll have to get the tranny off and go from there. I really can't believe it's this hard to get off.

JamLazyAss

I agree with post 1&2.

Get someone to give ya a hand. Get it hot, and keep it hot.
Run the impact gun until she gives up. It might take a few minutes, but the combination of heat and constant impact will/should get-r-done.

Keep us posted.
Good luck.
I'm not a proctologist, but I know an asshole when I see one...

PanHeadRed

>a 400 ft/lb air wrench.<

But how much air?

Try an electric impact.

ModelABob

Was with a friend many years ago.  When he could not get the compensating sprocket collar off the motor sprocket shaft
of his Superglide. :emsad:  We had to load up the bike in a van and take it to the local Indie.  The only way they could get it off is with a torch.... a cutting torch! :smileo: The cutter did a good job and only slightly nicked one of the sprocket shaft splines. :teeth:  Good luck with your problem. :smiled:

AMF/Ride Safe :wink:
To Ride, Shoot Straight & Speak the Truth.....  J. Cooper

60pan

Thanks for the advice guys. I got the motor out, which is what I was trying to do. Had to wreck the inner pimary cover, no big deal. At this point I'm going to get the trans out where I can work on it on the bench or take it somewhere. Cutting the shaft was in the back of my head as the worst case. I guess it helps to know that it does get to that extreme.

As far as the air pressure, I usually run the compressor at about 100 lbs which is about what most tools recomend but I don't think that has too much to do with the torque that the wrench is putting out.

There's a good thread on the evo board about a guy trying to get a nut off the compensating sprocket (I think) with a lot of info about giant air wrenches and special heavy equipment tools. If I still can't get it off I'll try some of those ideas and if worse comes to worse, fire up the torch. I'm just trying to wreck as little of it as possible (naturally).

I appreciate you guys taking the time to try to help.

wreck74

put it in high gear (4th) stand on the rear brake and hold the front brake, and with your left hand and a long 1/2" breaker bar you should be able to pull the breaker bar up, (good leverage) and break it loose. works for me.

MBSKEAM

use more heat, up the psi and  rent a 3/4 impact gun. it will come off
the hub may have spun on the shaft, this will lock things up real tight

mbskeam

MBSKEAM

January 05, 2009, 04:27:33 PM #10 Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 07:01:01 PM by MBSKEAM
wrong post

mbskeam