April 27, 2024, 07:29:25 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Dealers who do not furnish part numbers.....

Started by FLTRI, December 31, 2008, 11:27:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLTRI

December 31, 2008, 11:27:05 AM Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 11:33:22 AM by FLTRI
I have gone through the answers to the originals post and pulled the crux of most all answers. I think you will find it interesting read as to some of the answers. IMO it is a great discussion that I hope dealers, employees, and possibly MOCO personel see and read. I believe the future is iffy at best for a lot of mfgs and dealers/reps considering the economic ressession which is upon us.
As I mentioned in the original thread: the strong will survive, and weak will fail. Read these comments and I believe you will feel the same way.

Here's what's been said:

"We no longer provide part numbers."
That interesting. I have alternatives as well.
----------
That Dealer will not last long IMHO.... in these hard times you need to go the extra Mile... not tell your customers to basically  Piss Off
----------
I really do not blame them (dealers for not giving p/n)
----------
I only use them as the last resort, after calling all the other shops in town.. and not to mention  the numbers they would give you are probably wrong anyways..
----------
Everytime I call or go by my local HD dealer....they ask ME for a part#
----------
I can very well understand this (dealers for not giving p/n).....This is in the aviation business so we have rules we need to go by.....We have a library (we are required to have in aviation) that cost us 8000.00 a year to keep updated.....Most of the parts we sell only have a 10-20% mark up. Less if the part is very expensive to begin with.....each part that comes in needs to be inspected for conformity, documentation and basically and record from birth, repair, overhaul etc.....The exception to us not giving out a part # would be a hard to find part.
I don't expect anybody to provide me part numbers unless I purchase the part from them. Every bike, well most, I've had a parts manual and would shop around for the best price. You wouldn't believe the vast difference in some of the prices.
----------
I kinda understand the dealerships position on this......Saying that you need.....the part number implies that your intentions may not be to buy that item at that shop.....Saying that you need the price and the part number implies that your intentions may not be to buy that item at that shop.....If a shop doesn't carry that particular part, most of the time they seem to have no issue with giving me the part number
----------
I can understand the reluctance , cause  you know why they want the number,  either way , if you don't give part numbers you look like a jerk , the customer will remember this , not to mention some one out there with good customer service will give them the number, and in turn look like a hero , guess what the customer will remember the next time he needs a part.....my first jobs was in  an auto parts store. we didn't pay for parts books (neither do Hd dealers, unless they want more than allotted)
----------
Havent experienced anyone refusing to give out a part number, BUT I did have a shop give me a bogus part number.  I wasnt shopping for cheap price on something (GPS mount), but trying to find a dealer that had one in stock before a road trip.....Guess the guy thought I was going to go online and buy it for MSRP or less (that particular shop adds 10% to MSRP on Parts!!!!), so he gave me a part number for.....a saddlebag lid.  F-er....wont go there or call that shop again.
---------
Our local stealer will give you a part # if something is out of stock...which is most of the time
---------
the few times I will do business with a dealer is when I do need to get a hard to find part that may be obsolete, and my friend at the parts counter helps me out. I'm more than willing to pay some extra $ for decent service, and that particular parts guy understands that. Parts folks like the one the OP encountered will help that dealer close their doors as stated
---------
The young parts fellow is pretty helpful but the manger is not so much....It's uncomfortable being treated like a second class citizen.....In my view, a HD or Ford or Maytag service center should be willing to provide part numbers - thats why they are called a service center. If someone else can provide a compatible part at a better deal, thats the breaks. Of course I am looking at this from a consumers perspective, not  a dealership who is watching buisiness walk out the door.
--------
Having the part number is the only way I can be somewhat sure they are giving me the right part cause as we all know they would never give you the wrong one!
If a dealer doesn't want to give me a part number, I don't have to deal with him. Why should should I trust him either?! Business is a relationship, not a oneway street!
--------
I think you should get a parts book from the dealer and then you won't have to ask them anymore. I can fully understand why they don't want to give out parts numbers nowadays.....
So, just because they give you a part number, it may not be the right part number you need.  Kind of funny to some, I suppose, but it wasnt to me
----------
They're only trying to stay in business.
----------
The only time I will ask a dealer for a part number, is if I am at the counter and they are out of stock. They had first shot....I buy a lot online, but I don't go callin' the dealer for the numbers.  That's flat out rude!
----------
superstition harley out here in apache junction.  problem?
i was there a couple weeks ago asking price and availability on a few parts....they gave me a print out. ...i went back in a few days and bought them.  but that was nice of them.... also printed out a exploded drawing....
damn nice of them

---------
When I worked in an HD parts department, I refused to give out part numbers or if I did, I intentionally gave the wrong part number....People who ask for part numbers are....not good customers....People who ask for part numbers are POS....How about the azzhole who calls for an oil filter part number, while I have a counterful of customers?....Seriously, if you call for part numbers, go fvck yourself. The dealership pays thousands a year for software to look up part numbers, pays salary and health benefits, but you think you are entitled to a free service?....Just because you bought a Harley, no one "owes" you anything....

I now wrench (wonder why? :hyst:) in the service department. I was constantly interrupted by a rookie service manager who never did this job before. He would interrupt me for a "customer" who wanted install advice for a part that the install was way over his head. I finally told the service manager not to interrupt me, I would not talk to the customers anymore.....I love the idiots who try to save a buck by doing an install that is way over their head.....I remember on my lunch hour a guy on a vrod had a stripped shifter. We were booked for weeks. I took it off, drilled and retapped it and found a bolt to use on it. All on my lunch hour, I didn't even get a thanks. Now I make them make appointments.

---------
i come in a few days later to buy part,  have number you wrote down....you give me that carb when i wanted a shock....i take my money down the street cause your incompetant in my eyes....nice way to get return business.....with the price of harley parts sometimes i dont have enought right then.....know i will need a trip to bank for cash.... how much will i need to take out?...if i have paper or in my local dealers case, a print out of number and price it makes looking it up a second time unnecessary.....so that makes me a POS customer?   nope , makes me a RETURN customer
---------
Now, if I were to call a dealer and ask for a part number so I can shop it elsewhere, and they give me the wrong number, then who am I to blame? Yeah, stupid me. I don't do that. I think it's bad Karma, and I'm not interested in getting people mad
---------
I like Uke's HD in Kenosha. They have always treated me right. They give me a small discount, which is nice, and will damn near kill themselves to help a guy out. I could order my stuff from Chicago and have it next day, and break about even on the price after paying shipping. I still like to run down to Uke's. I like keeping my money in the local economy when I can, and I've developed a real good relationship with Uke's over the years
---------
Why should the dealer, an independent businessman, give you a part number so you can walk out the door, and order the part from his competitor?  That makes no sense to me.  I got absolutely no problem with the dealer on this one - I'd be the same way.
---------
I buy parts from my dealer because I like their customer service, not because of their prices....The way the service reps are these days, it would be hard to know if they gave you a wrong part number on purpose. They make a ton of errors....if the service guy had the balls to own up giving me the wrong part number on purpose, I would most definately let him know what a chickensh!t he was. If the dealership tolerated that kind of "customer service", I sure wouldn't be able to trust them to even change the air in my tires, much less do any major work on my bike. It's lying, pure and simple....I just got some mech help from my local dealerships head tech. Had a problem with an adjustment.....Because of Bill's help, I was very confident that I got it right. No worries. And because of that simple act of customer service he has more work coming. Period. He didn't lie to me, didn't diss me, didn't try to rip me. I respect that
---------
sometime service will win over low price, other times not. If it's your regular dealer and you've built a relationship with them, what would you answer if they asked why you wanted a part #? (Big Dan +1 on Uke's  ) Dealers may not always handle change correctly but they are under attack and dealing with things however they feel best, right or wrong
---------
If a dealer asked me why (I wand the p/n), the answer is simple, because I asked. (That'll get 'em to go right to work for ya!)
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

ceduby

Very good summary. I would like to add that sometimes a part is way over priced from the vendor. I will tell the customer that, give him the part number and/or recommend an alternative. Ok, so I lose a sale, but most of the time I gain it back 10 fold by the customer appreciating me being honest and up front with him, he will be back, he will spread the word and he will bring his plane to us for repairs beyond his capabilities. I'll never know how many new customers I will get from doing this, but I'll tell you this, we have a very good reputation. And if  we "F" something up, we inform the customer and fix it on our dime. In this economy we are just as busy as we ever where. That is what good customer service will get you. Yes there are a few bad customers out there, usually you can pick them out.
Beat it to fit, paint it to match

RK103

I wouln't buy anything from that dealer. And I'd be sure to let the owner know why.

FLTRI

Quote from: RK103 on December 31, 2008, 12:49:25 PM
I wouln't buy anything from that dealer. And I'd be sure to let the owner know why.
It may help to be specific enough to know what you are refering to by saying "that dealer"

RK103

Sorry the quote didn't attach.
QuoteWhen I worked in an HD parts department, I refused to give out part numbers or if I did, I intentionally gave the wrong part number....People who ask for part numbers are....not good customers....People who ask for part numbers are POS....How about the azzhole who calls for an oil filter part number, while I have a counterful of customers?....Seriously, if you call for part numbers, go fvck yourself. The dealership pays thousands a year for software to look up part numbers, pays salary and health benefits, but you think you are entitled to a free service?....Just because you bought a Harley, no one "owes" you anything....

I now wrench (wonder why? ) in the service department. I was constantly interrupted by a rookie service manager who never did this job before. He would interrupt me for a "customer" who wanted install advice for a part that the install was way over his head. I finally told the service manager not to interrupt me, I would not talk to the customers anymore.....I love the idiots who try to save a buck by doing an install that is way over their head.....I remember on my lunch hour a guy on a vrod had a stripped shifter. We were booked for weeks. I took it off, drilled and retapped it and found a bolt to use on it. All on my lunch hour, I didn't even get a thanks. Now I make them make appoint

FLTRI

Quote from: RK103 on December 31, 2008, 02:20:05 PM
Sorry the quote didn't attach.
QuoteWhen I worked in an HD parts department, I refused to give out part numbers or if I did, I intentionally gave the wrong part number....People who ask for part numbers are....not good customers....People who ask for part numbers are POS....How about the azzhole who calls for an oil filter part number, while I have a counterful of customers?....Seriously, if you call for part numbers, go fvck yourself. The dealership pays thousands a year for software to look up part numbers, pays salary and health benefits, but you think you are entitled to a free service?....Just because you bought a Harley, no one "owes" you anything....

I now wrench (wonder why? ) in the service department. I was constantly interrupted by a rookie service manager who never did this job before. He would interrupt me for a "customer" who wanted install advice for a part that the install was way over his head. I finally told the service manager not to interrupt me, I would not talk to the customers anymore.....I love the idiots who try to save a buck by doing an install that is way over their head.....I remember on my lunch hour a guy on a vrod had a stripped shifter. We were booked for weeks. I took it off, drilled and retapped it and found a bolt to use on it. All on my lunch hour, I didn't even get a thanks. Now I make them make appoint

And I'll bet if he were treated like that he'd be the first to say he would never do business with 'em again. Wonder if he listens to what he says? :hyst:

hrdtail78

Quote from: ceduby on December 31, 2008, 11:40:20 AM
Very good summary. I would like to add that sometimes a part is way over priced from the vendor. I will tell the customer that, give him the part number and/or recommend an alternative. Ok, so I lose a sale, but most of the time I gain it back 10 fold by the customer appreciating me being honest and up front with him, he will be back, he will spread the word and he will bring his plane to us for repairs beyond his capabilities. I'll never know how many new customers I will get from doing this, but I'll tell you this, we have a very good reputation. And if  we "F" something up, we inform the customer and fix it on our dime. In this economy we are just as busy as we ever where. That is what good customer service will get you. Yes there are a few bad customers out there, usually you can pick them out.

I have to agree with the above.  Lady came into the shop a couple of month ago looking for a steering dampner for her evo powered trike.  Took about 30 minutes of my time going through the catalog, measuring her frame, and getting the parts list together.  She took the list and ordered the parts online.  She came back about 2 weeks before x-mas and bought 3 shop t-shirts from me for presents.  My point being this:  Repeat customers is what my shop needs and strives for. Cold contact, new bike sales seems to be what my local dealer strives for.  Different game.
Semper Fi

JBarrettB

"Repeat customers is what my shop needs and strives for. Cold contact, new bike sales seems to be what my local dealer strives for.  Different game." I couldn't agree more, hrdtail78, you hit the nail on the head.

JB
CAUTION: Comments may be sarcastic, clarification available upon request.

tomp

If a dealer refused to provide me a part number, I would never go back for anything so they then lost any chance of a future sale. I think it's funny how many parts guys work on commision and only care about the sale at hand. I have seem them try and charge restocking fees for parts unopened and they are only shooting their future in the foot!