May 02, 2024, 01:35:48 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Seriously, WTF?

Started by 96flhpi, December 31, 2008, 11:50:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

96flhpi

Went into my cam chest today - just to poke around mostly, see if I can find out what cam I have (bike new to me) and replace cam bearing (cheap insurance).  Pic is how timing marks lined up when I found it.  I was real careful not to pull cam when pulling cover, might have slipped a tooth, but this is like 180 degrees out (put black marker on cam to make it easier to see) .  Can bike really run and not have noticable performance problems like this.  It would explain why I couldn't static time to advance when converting to points - points cam would already open points with plate fully retarded.  Chalked it up to my inexperience w/ points. 

BTW, compared cam to an Andrews I have - it's not just that gear was pressed on by a putz.  Both gears in similar positions in relation to lobes.  Is it possible to put pinion on wrong - it has a key, no?

More importantly, how do I make sure I'm not gonna wreck any valves when I put it back together.  I watched lifters in relation to piston with cam in both correct (I think) timing and the way I found it.  Seemed about the same.  Don't remember intake but exhaust lifter was on it's way down but still slightly open (maybe 10%) as piston hit TDC in both cases.

Oh, only mark on cam was an H on innermost (to case) lobe.  Assume it's stock but can anyone confirm?

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

gryphon

If you continue to rotate the motor till the cam timing mark comes around you should be able to align it with the other two.

96flhpi

December 31, 2008, 12:30:01 PM #2 Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 12:32:53 PM by 96flhpi
Thanks, but my point is they should be aligned already.  In pic pinion gear mark is at 12:00, lined up with tooth on cam gear and cam marks are up by lifters.  Like I said, cam didn't rotate when I pulled cam cover - was careful cause I was worried I wouldn't be able to see pinion gear mark.   I know I can pull cam and rotate it until marks align, but fact that bike was running ok makes me wonder if somethings up with pinion gear position.

FSG

It's a 4 stroke engine

2 crank rotations = 1 cam rotation 

gryphon

Just leave the cam in place and continue to rotate the motor. They will align. The pinion and breather gears will make one complete turn and the cam will make a half turn and they will align.

CraigArizona85248

These guys are all correct.  It's fine the way it is.  Rotate the pinion one revolution and everything will be aligned.

-Craig

96flhpi

All right, I feel really stupid now :embarrassed:.  All you guys are right.  I was thinking one crank turn = one cam turn.  Obviously I didn't do to well in geometry.  At least my face is red with embarrasment instead of anger.  Thanks for calming the panic, boys.

Anyway, anyone know about the H on the cam?  Is it stock?

Thanks again.

IBARider

Ditto everyone else.  Then make sure your breather mark is aligned with the one currently at 2 o'clock
It slid 112 feet and I had no road rash

gryphon

Been a while but I think that the H designate a stock FLH cam.

76shuvlinoff

QuoteAll right, I feel really stupid now

Seriously... I've done a lot worse   :embarrassed:
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

FSG

Quote from: 76shuvlinoff on December 31, 2008, 01:52:01 PM

oh haven't we all at one time or another  :wink:

gryphon

Ha-ha. You guys ain't not smart like I is.

96flhpi

Quote from: Fatboy_SirGarfield on December 31, 2008, 02:26:11 PM
Quote from: 76shuvlinoff on December 31, 2008, 01:52:01 PM

oh haven't we all at one time or another  :wink:

Yeah, to be honest I've done stupider things myself.

Found out H is stock shovel cam.

Thanks again guys.