Preload spacers for RaceTech fork springs on FLTR???

Started by Dennis The Menace, December 31, 2008, 11:56:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis The Menace

I am prepping to pull the front end apart again and install the RaceTech springs.  They are the standard springs, but look shorter than stock, as I remember stock springs.

I bought the FRSP S3234100 springs, without gold valves, and the instructions are less than helpful for a FLTR.

Anyone got input on if I need to cut the preload spacers, and if so how long would be good?  I am only 190 lbs, ride solo 99%, loaded only 10% and want a good solid ride, with the 1.0kg springs.

menace

FSG

While I check the FRSP S3234100 springs another HTT discussion 'Front Forks' is HERE

someday69

just wondering..why did'nt you get the emulators??? while your in there,,cause I got'em with the springs on my 02fxd...thought they were talked up aot on the old site,,,and so I just had to ask...

Dennis The Menace

Hey Someday, I was thinking about it, and read up on them and because they are adjustable with over 300,000 different combinations (according to Racetech), my head swam and I said heck no...I would spend all my time tuning the front end and not riding.  And, pulling the damn thing apart is a PITA, and hours of work on a FLTR.

So, will put in new springes and hope she runs good.

Dennis The Menace

FSG, thanks for the older post.  Its starting to make sense to me.  I think I was partaking too much Stranahans reading through the instructions previously.  ;-)  I have a special stash of Stranahans in the garage cabinet when I am out working on the bike, and at times I get a little carried away with it.  lol 

If the weather ever gets crappy out here I am going to take the front end down and get it done.  60's past few days and again the rest of the week, its hard to work on the ride....I put in 250 miles the past 2 days.  :-)

Thank you for your help brother...have a safe and wonderful 2009!

menace

fuzznut5197

I don't think any of those kits come with exact length spacers. I cut the spacer tubes to length with a tubing cutter, you know, the thing with the rollers and cutting wheel for copper plumbing?
Perfectly square cut using that. Anyway, you're looking at about 1 1/2" of preload. Are you asking how to measure it?

Clintster

I ended up using the tube spacer cut to 3 3/4 the first time.  This is for my 02 RK, I use a clip on fairing, during the cold weather months.  Well the second time I did it I went with 4 3/4 spacer and three and a half turns.  The first measure left me bottoming to easily, the four and three fourths works good for me.  I do however like a firm suspension, for aggressive riding.  I remember when I inquired not a lot of folks were specific about the set-ups they did.  Hope this info is helpful.
Drive fast, take chances

Dennis The Menace

hey fuzz. not how to measure, but how long.  Should the length of the spacer and RT spring equal the total length of the stock spring, or something different.  The instructions talk about measuring sag to determine the total spacer length required.  I was just wondering if there was someone that had figured that out already and could tell me exactly how long each spacer tube should be.

If you were to measure the sag and calc the preload per the RT instructions, it really depends on rider weight and loading the front end, then the release measurement.  Kind of involved, tho I guess I can do it (and it would be very accurate).  Just would like to know of an easier way.

menace

fuzznut5197

Ahh, I see. Yeah, like you said, sag is dependent on rider weight, as well as spring rate. I never worried about it because you're kind of limited with the preload tweaking. Too much preload and good luck getting the fork cap on, too little and you could bottom out more, and the springs rattle when you do a wheelie.  :teeth:

FSG

I needed to Google Stranahans , yes enjoy and a HNY to you.

The RT instructions are quite vague when just springs only. Id start with spacers cut so that "spacer + RT Spring = length of stock spring" 

JamLazyAss

"I have a special stash of Stranahans in the garage cabinet when I am out working on the bike"

Dennis,

You've been holding out on us...
I never heard of this "Harley Tool".
I do believe I could use one in my garage as well.

Looks like it's not available in New York State  :cry:

FSG -
Think I could call one of the retailers, pay them and have it shipped?
I don't know if that stuff can be shipped to a retail customer???
Any thoughts?

I'm not a proctologist, but I know an asshole when I see one...

FSG

Think I could call one of the retailers, pay them and have it shipped?

I think there's enough good will here on HTT that it'd be worth asking if someone could send a bottle. 

When I was working worldwide I'd often send a Gallon or 2 of Jack from Houston to myself in Oslo, so when I arrived I had something waiting to keep my insides warm.

someday69

D.t.Menis...
                I hope you decide to try the valves,,,cause sence your in there anyway,,,and hey all I did was ask the people here on this board,,and they got me through it....actually it was easy for me cause it was my 02fxd,,the valves work really great too....I never had a front end apart before,,got one side all back togeather late one night,,but there was something slide'in around/back and forth inside it.......I gave up...went to get some sleep...just as I was drift'in off,,I saw the diagram in my mind,,,and I could see what I had done wrong....Went right out into the garage and pulled it apart,,and got it done right.....The people here have helped me through SOooo much ,,,I really owe them a great debt....
                                And I hope I get to meet some of' them....someday..

PC_Hater

I'll have to rummage through my notes for the exact length of the spacer for the fork springs I used.
Meanwhile, if your spacers are a bit too short for the way you ride - mine were - just put a bit of air in the forks. It is a reasonable compromise.
AND yes you really should measure the sag.
If I was to do it again I would use the next stiffer fork spring (I think that would mean using the 1kg/mm spring) and I would stiffen up the emulator thingy.
1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S

PC_Hater

Right,

I bought the 0.95kg/mm fork springs. I should have used the 1kg/mm springs, I'm a bit lighter than you.
I cut the spacer to give the recommended 1.6" fork spring preload.

To work out what length the spacer needs to be is a bit of a faff - you get to put one fork leg together properly and measure things.
BUT. While you are in there, buy the gold valve emulator parts too! They really are that good.
1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S