April 27, 2024, 12:15:45 PM

News:

pressure washing

Started by 000, December 31, 2008, 01:33:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

December 31, 2008, 01:33:12 PM Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 09:46:03 PM by Fatboy_SirGarfield
 :cry:     what's the most damage you had done to your bike by pressure washing , it just cost me my ecu plus labor to find why my 99 ultra wouldn't spark .   happy new years to all (Edit by FSG)

:cry:     the picture is of a train covered with people in Pakistan it's tuff to see the train

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

bouncingVman

cheap chrome plating has been left at the car wash for me. Thats about it... I'm sometimes kinda careful at the carwash. So far so goot.  :smiled:
"Todd"
(Northern Iowa; United States)

1JITSU1

December 31, 2008, 02:30:34 PM #2 Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 02:36:30 PM by 1JITSU1
 gds    :wtf:     Hope the guy in front of that train dont fall off   :pop:  :hyst:  :potstir:  :sink:
                      Looks like the Long Island R\R last year going to the city for the bike show  :hyst: :hyst: :hyst:

tireater

Stealer got my back axel with a waterblaster when I went in for a recall...The bearings died in 30 days... :down:
Ride it...Break it...Fix it...Repeat...

04customking

Hey tireater, you're not drinking yet are you?
Jim  '54 FL Pan. '04 RK Custom

Panzer

Had blue lights mounted under tank.
Pressure washer broke the wire connection at ground.
No more pressure washing for this bike.  :down:

Why does Tireater keep changing his pix?     Just curious.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

48pan

About 20 someting years ago, maybe 30 something years ago I used to spray my bike with engine degreaser and pressure wash it. Until I hit my brakes one day and the foot pedal went to the floor. I had a mechanical front brake to bring me to a stop.
Somehow water got in the boot of my master cylinder and rusted out the snapring.
Luckly it wasn't a panic stop or I wouldn't be here writing this.
I'm not as dumb as I look. Since then I do not recomend or use any kind of pressure washing on my bike.

Paniolo

Pressure washing cost me front wheel bearings on my old '95 Ultra.
Life can only be lived in the present moment.

someday69

I love to hit the wheels and tires,,,now if I could get someone to roll it while I did the tires and rims....I like to shoot the front motor mount and clean the oil off it and the filter area,,,shoot the motor and the place where the oil seeps between the trany and motor,,,,the front of the forks where the bugs get heavy,,,,,
          But you got'a be carefull of the middle of the rims where the bearings live....and now I will watch out for the ecm too.
                     I leave her runn'in while the spray'in goes,,I don't even take off my wille and max throw over bags anymore...
                                     I cost fifty cents for each token and they get five at the last place...still got one left....now I'll have to go back...someday..

HDRDR

I fried a wiring harness back in the 70's doing that, and would never do it again. I learned my lesson a long time ago :beer:

highlander

Got a little water in one of the gauges. Stealer replaced it under warranty.
Why are we just sitting here, Lets ride.

Baggerlady

Hubby blew off a chunk of paint from the fairing when he did his 99 FLHT. :dgust: :rose:

Snorth

Never had a problem pressure washing.  Just like any other tool, be careful using it.   :wtf:

sandrooney

Power washing can damage, I had a swingarm pivot shaft almost welded in on an old shovelhead I had,and I am convinced it was from power washing . I just take a bucket of hot water and microfiber towels, don't even use soap. Then wax two or three times a year.
SR
Patience is such a waste of time .

Upswept

Exactly, Snorth.  Just be careful.  Don't shoot it into wheel bearings or electrical connections, and don't get too close.  Use your head.

Justpassingas

Kinda like using a 20lb. sledgehammer to bang in a 4penny finish nail ain't it....Overkill IMO...I use the garden hose and never had a problem
For Duty and Humanity

Jim Bronson

Degreaser+hose+blow dry. Same way I wash my hair.
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

PoorUB

Quote from: Justpassingas on January 01, 2009, 04:47:39 AM
Kinda like using a 20lb. sledgehammer to bang in a 4penny finish nail ain't it....Overkill IMO...I use the garden hose and never had a problem

When you are a thousand miles from home and the bike has an inch of bugs on the front, and covered in road grime from running in rain you just have to break down and wash it with what ever you have, like the first car wash you see. Like others have said, just some common sense. Rinse the bike down, hit it with the faomy brush, and rinse again. You don't need to get right in there with the pressure wand!
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

mark61

Quote from: Justpassingas on January 01, 2009, 04:47:39 AM

Had a circuit breaker on a '72 fl catch fire after washing. ECM on my Y2K cause the Power Comander connection is NOT water proof like the factory boot.

You aint seen my bike after spending days riding in the rain. Not all roads around here are hard surfaced and there is more than a little "farm run off" that gets into places you can NOT wash by hand!

Like was said  carefull use of the tool.

mark61

Phu Cat

It took the grease out of the speedometer drive and the front wheel bearings.  Haven't been to a car wash since.

PC
Too much horsepower is almost enough.

seattledyna

degreaser and garden hose, works just fine ;)

FLTRI

January 02, 2009, 08:45:07 AM #21 Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 09:49:19 PM by Fatboy_SirGarfield
Quote from: gds on December 31, 2008, 01:33:12 PM
:cry:        what,s the most damage you had done to your bike by pressure washing , it just cost me my ecu plus labor to find why my 99 ultra would,nt spark .   happy new years to all (Edit by FSG)
 :cry:     the picture is of a train covered with people in pakistan it,s tuff to see the train
I've seen this problem with MM EFI systems. Do you have a Power Commander? If so there is a rain boot to keep water out of the ECM that should have been transferred from the bike's connector to the Power Commander's connector. Also there must be proper installation of that boot over and around the ECM so any water is diverted away from the ECM's connection.
If you do not have a Power Commander make sure that boot is properly installed over the connection or it is still possible for water to get into the ECM from riding in pouring rain.
HTH,
Bob
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

low_rider1979

enjoyed your website Vman :up:
HTT member since 2002

Coyote

January 02, 2009, 06:32:00 PM #23 Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 09:50:17 PM by Fatboy_SirGarfield
Quote from: Jeffd on January 02, 2009, 05:51:59 PM
Quote from: gds on December 31, 2008, 01:33:12 PM
:cry:        what,s the most damage you had done to your bike by pressure washing , it just cost me my ecu plus labor to find why my 99 ultra would,nt spark .   happy new years to all (Edit by FSG)
 :cry:     the picture is of a train covered with people in pakistan it,s tuff to see the train

Let's see (Edit by FSG) smart enough not to pressure wash my bike.

Can't figure what this has to do with power washers but I must have missed when they ran against each other.  :crook:

I use mine on the bike occasionally but only to remove the bugs from the front of the bike and only with a wide tip from a distance.

bouncingVman

Quote from: low_rider1979 on January 02, 2009, 05:44:13 PM
enjoyed your website Vman :up:

You're welcome ... nothing special just something to have fun with.
"Todd"
(Northern Iowa; United States)