May 09, 2024, 01:06:24 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Dash console

Started by Fred Pickering, April 01, 2011, 03:26:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fred Pickering

Ok iam sure most are getting sick of my dumb to them questions lol, but i have to remind most i didnt restore a complete bike i brought home a frame, engine , and trans thats it.

Question iam assembling the 53 FL now and i bought a complete dash and console assembley theres alot of oval shaped spacers, with two holes in them square brackets, black fiber pieces and rivits and of course no directions or even ref. I have googled every poss word to get help on what these are for, the speedo mounting i figured out and a few other things but i assume these are spacers but have no clue were they go , i have spent alot of the winter working hard to get this bike on the road and i dont want to find out the hard way that these parts were to be in the console just cant make the puzzle of crap work since again zero referance.

Any help would be greatful.

fred

Mule

Most are shims and spacers to fit the height of the dash mounting plate and the ignition switch. Most are not needed depends on how things fit. It is trial and error to get the best fit on aftermarket parts. The rivets and clips are for attaching circuit breakers to the underside of the mounting plate. When I wired my pan I have one 30 amp breaker on the positive post on the battery, My 58 I wired the same way and never had any problems. Mule...

Deye76

Spacing the dash properly will prevent pressure on the ignition switch,  between the dash, and eye screws attaching wires to the switch, which will cause a short. Mule is correct about trial and error,  + = circuit breaker better than fuses. BTW not a dumb question
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP