April 27, 2024, 03:47:08 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

S&S COMPRESSION RELEASE TESTING

Started by MikeL, April 01, 2011, 08:31:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeL

I have a 124 S&S in my shop. It has the electric compression releases and when the starter is engaged the electro magnets work yet it's still hard starting. I pulled the spark plugs and a ton of compression still vents. I'm going to do a gauged compression test to get a base line I just don't know what the drop in compression should be when the solenoids are activated. I was wondering can the ports that vent the compression into the exhaust port get plugged say from carbon?

MIKE

prodrag1320

could be,if you do need some auto releases,ive got some new in the boxes,1/2 price of dealer cost

FSG

prodrag1320

April 02, 2011, 05:17:51 AM #3 Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 05:33:43 AM by prodrag1320
actully their is room in S&S heads for manual releases,we put them in all the time
http://s125.photobucket.com/albums/p79/veetwin1/000_0021.jpg
http://s125.photobucket.com/albums/p79/veetwin1/000_0022.jpg

gryphon

Looking at the picture of the combustion chamber I don't see the little hole used with the stock electric releases. Do you guys block them off or did that particular head not have the release.

choseneasy

MikeL

I just did a compression test and the results are strange. 125 psi with electric releases 150 psi with wire pulled to deactivate solenoids. Funny thing though the engine cranks longer and stronger with out the solenoids. Solenoids drawing too much power from the battery? I'm gonna ohm the coils may have bad coils. Anybody know what ohm these coils should pull. This thing may be a candidate for the mechanical type with the pull lever. If the guy goes for it the good ol chain saw types by the spark plugs.

MIKE

prodrag1320

Quote from: gryphon on April 02, 2011, 09:56:10 AM
Looking at the picture of the combustion chamber I don't see the little hole used with the stock electric releases. Do you guys block them off or did that particular head not have the release.
the S&S heads release uses a small hole on the other side,the air gets released thru the ex port.the hole for the S&S auto release is a 14mm in the middle of the head that gets plugged

gryphon

I was looking on the other side and still couldn't see it. It is a small hole so maybe it just isn't showing in the photo.

prodrag1320

if took a pic of the other side,youde see it,but its very small

gryphon

I've got some questions about compression and compression releases but I'm gonna start a new thread so as not to hijack this one.