Can you run a ported head with a non-ported head?

Started by Colorabee, December 31, 2008, 05:58:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colorabee

Guys, I need some opinions/advise here.  I bought a set of 06 heads off Ebay to use on my 03’ Fatboy 95” build.  I did this because I have heard that the 06 heads flow better than the older stock heads, so I thought I would give them a try.  When the heads arrived I discovered that the front head has been ported, and the other is a bone stock takeoff.  The ported head is fresh and has not been installed on a bike.  I was able to discern from taking some measurements and comparing them with the rear head that the ported head has not been cut for compression.  Looks like just a home brew street port re-using the stock valves and springs.  My original plan was not to have any port work done on these heads, just have them cut .035" or .040"  and call it good.  Now because the heads don’t match, I’m not sure what to do.  What is your opinion on running a ported head with a non-ported head?  Is this doable, or would this be a major bonehead move?  What are the implications?  Opinions and advise please…..

-Colorabee-

Sonny S.

"What is your opinion on running a ported head with a non-ported head?  Is this doable, or would this be a major bonehead move?  "

YES  :dgust:

At this point you need to have someone look at the heads and see what can be done to give you a " SET ".
Any chance you can get your money back ?

can you post detailed pix of the ported one ?

Eglider05

Quote from: Colorabee on December 31, 2008, 05:58:44 PM
When the heads arrived I discovered that the front head has been ported, and the other is a bone stock takeoff. 

If it wasn't made clear in the item description that they weren't a matched pair I'd contact the seller and tell him you want a refund.

Rick