L.E.D.'s, to highlight engine/bike...legal to have on while riding?

Started by RKC03, December 31, 2008, 08:18:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RKC03

I have seen the L.E.D.'s for sale at the dealers, are they legal to have on while riding? I have thought about them, or some aftermarket brand...maybe would make for a better seen "target" for the "cagers"  :wink: , I believe if I had the "Diamond-Cut" heads/fins I would be more apt to have them ( they do look sharp), Is there anyone out there that have either or both?   :smiled: RKC03  :teeth:
RKC03

skeets

Now you have to take this with a grain of salt,, Its not legal to use them while in motion here in Pa. but you can turn them on while sitting?? A bud does some art work with the winshields, he uses a dremial tool and cuts some really neat stuff in to them and mounts a set of LED's inside the fairings so it shows up through the plastic and really looks neat... He was stopped by several PoPo's but they didnt ticket him,,, go figure,, so tum them on and see who ya pi$$ off
Am fear nach gleidh na hairm san t sith, cha bhi iad aige'n am a' chogaidh

88b

Lots of Harleys here have them, never heard of anyone getting a ticket ,but who knows. The Kuryakyn ones i believe are the same as HD's except for the price  :wink:  I've fitted several sets for customers, not had a problem yet.

Rags722

I think most state MV codes will have something on the books about displaying red or blue lights on a vehicle.
I also remember years back ( 1950's)either Pontiac or Olds had a figurehead on the hood with a clear lense with a light inside it.  They would get dirty over time and give off an amber color.  Our local cops would use that as an excuse to pull a car over just to check documentation.  If the guy gave them any trouble ( even if his paperwork was in order) he got a red light displayed in the front of the vehicle ticket.  I figure, why open yourself up to a potential for excessive stops?
Best you can do is check out your state laws for lighting before you take the plunge.

Rags

Guitarplayer

Custom Dynamics offers a wide variety of lights.  The remote control works from quite a distance too !   I've rode with them on just a few times, and allways felt like I was drawing to much attension.  Unless its parked or I'm cruizing the camp grounds at a rally is about the only tme I turn them on anymore.

ThumperDeuce

Idiots are fun, no wonder every village wants one.

Velocity1

As of 6-1-08, they're legal here in MD, (on while on the road).  Stipulations are that they can't be flashing, (regardless of color), and the lighting color can't be the same as emergency vehicle lighting, (ie; red / blue).  Also they cannot be "aimed" so as to create a distraction or hazard to surrounding and on coming traffic.

Got this straight out of our MD MVA.
'02 FX"Custom"ST
Go Big, or Go Home...

Tsani

Around here in So. NJ, it hasn't been a problem. Alot of our popo ride any they feel it helps ya get seen. Be nice to stay that way. BTW, mine are Teal from Boogey Lts.
ᏣᎳᎩ ᎤᏕᏅ ᎠᏴ ᎠᎩᎸᏗ ᏔᎷᎩᏍᎩ ᎠᏂᏐᏈᎵ
ᎠᏎᏊᎢ Leonard Peltier

tomp

You can legally ride with yellow or clear only. Riding with red or blue will get you a ticket sooner or later - just a matter of crossing paths with the right arse-hole copper. Using green lights riding or stopped at a red light, is asking for a drunk to drive right over you.

PoorUB

Probably depends more on the cop, than the specific laws. I know a guy that had green LED lights in the grill of his car. He got stopped too many times for having the wrong color lights on the front od his car, and finally removed them. White or amber lights allowed on the front of the vehicle in most areas. If the LEDs are amber I don't know if their is much they can do. Red, blue, green, be prepared for trouble.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Panzer

Here in Pa. I see no DMV postings on lights.
I've been riding with blue's under the tank for 1-1/2 years and no problems.....so far.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

tireater

Ride it...Break it...Fix it...Repeat...

HroadhogD1

I think if you run those lights you are just asking for trouble, and sooner or later it will find you. 

Rags722

OK, as an example, this is right out of the New Jersey MV code book.  It takes some hunting to find, but you will probably be able to find the same info for any state you ride in.  So, the big question is, do you want them on your bike, knowing full well they can be a reason for a pull over session with the locals?

39:3-50  Color of lights, permits; cancellation or revocation of permits; fee.
39:3-50.  All lamps and reflectors, which display a light visible from directly in front of a vehicle as authorized by this subtitle, shall exhibit lights substantially white, yellow or amber in color.

(a)The color of light emitted or reflected by exterior lamps or reflectors on a vehicle shall be as follows, except as otherwise provided in paragraphs (b), (c) and (d) of this section:

White when the lamp is a headlamp, or spot lamp, or illuminates a license plate or a destination sign; or is located on the outside limit of a side car or other attachment on a motor cycle;

Substantially white or amber when the lamp is a side-cowl or fender lamp, running-board or other courtesy lamp, front parking lamp, back-up lamp, auxiliary driving lamp; or a turn signal on or facing the front;

Substantially red or amber when the lamp is a turn signal or a stop lamp on or facing the rear;

Red when any other lamp or any reflector is on the rear or on either side at or near the rear, except as otherwise provided in paragraph (f) of section 39:3-61 for a combination marker lamp;

Amber when any other lamp or reflector is on the front or on either side other than at or near the rear.

(b)Lamps and reflectors on projecting loads shall emit or reflect light with color as provided in section 10 of this act.

(c)No person shall drive or move any vehicle or equipment upon any street or highway equipped with any device or lamp thereon capable of or displaying a light of any other color than permitted by this section, except: an authorized emergency vehicle, an authorized school bus, or a vehicle authorized by a permit issued by the chief administrator.

Flat Dog