May 08, 2024, 03:11:07 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Best ring compressor??

Started by tbird, January 01, 2009, 01:07:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbird

Doing a rebuild this winter and was wondering which tool for compressing rings is the best for the money? Thanks

jmanjeff

I use a set like this
but there not cheep around 100 bucks new
1957  Sportster

hdpegscraper

I have that same set from Snap ON, works slick. The band also has a slight taper to aid installation.  These guys have a similar version to the Snap On one from TP tools. http://www.tooldiscounter.com/ItemDisplay.cfm?lookup=WLMW89410

f-x-d-w-g

I just used a large hose clamp that I picked up at Napa.  Cost 4 bucks...
Dan
Tijeras, NM

chopper

Best I've found... cheap, too

Lisle 21700 3" to 5" Wrinkle Band Ring Compressor

Wrinkle band cuts friction in half
Rings slide in easily
CAM operated - set adjustment screw just once for entire set of pistons
Insert a full set of pistons in half the time, with half the work
Wrinkle band can't slip down into cylinder

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009OR93I

Got a case of dynamite, I could hold out here all night

Old Crow

+1 for the Lisle. Got mine off the Snap-On truck, though.
This ain't Dodge City, and you ain't Bill Hickock.

FSG

Never seen the "Lisle 21700 3" to 5" Wrinkle Band Ring Compressor" before, I must check the Snap-On truck next week.

nc-renegade

Quote from: Fatboy_SirGarfield on January 02, 2009, 03:06:31 AM
Never seen the "Lisle 21700 3" to 5" Wrinkle Band Ring Compressor" before, I must check the Snap-On truck next week.

I bought mine at Pep Boys....the Lisle works very well.
107ci, 11:1,T-Man Stage 3 Heads, T-Man TR-662 cam, HPI 51mm TB, Feuling plate/SP

bagga

Quote from: f-x-d-w-g on January 01, 2009, 07:55:01 AM
I just used a large hose clamp that I picked up at Napa.  Cost 4 bucks...

thats what i used too. if you're only using it one time, i would go the cheep route.
1985 flhtc
1976 fxe

Louie

Hey tbird,
If you can get the plier type like pic one they work great for HD. The wrinkle band will do it but they are a bit of a pain wriggling around the cyl studs.Large hose type clamp will work in a pinch.If you have an Auto Zone near you I think they loan/rent tools.Make sure whatever you use opens up so you can get it off the rod once the cyl is on.good luck with the project.

f-x-d-w-g

Using the hose clamp, I installed the pistons/rings in the cylinders then installed the assembly on the bike.  Done it twice with no problems.
Dan
Tijeras, NM

carpenterjoe

Careful with Leslie type it can snag & brake ring ends taking it off.don,t ask me how I know.

hdjax2

I also use this type with good results. I think it's made by K-D tools

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]
Stuck in Lodi, Ca

PoorUB

January 08, 2009, 05:17:23 AM #13 Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 05:19:12 AM by PoorUB
This is the one I use, the short one, been stuffing pistons with it for ~30 years! I installed the pistons in the cylinders firest.

I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

the Grump

I use a piece of banding material bent in the shape of an ohm symbol.